Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2019, 03:19 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

And heck, the more the authorities harass them the sooner they get shaves and haircuts and suits and cars and jobs, right?
Yup. All the formerly homeless that were once harrassed now drive Teslas dontcha know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 03:23 PM

8,680 posts, read 3,876,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
No I am being 100% real, you do not let homeless defecate on the streets, spit on people's face, aggressively panhandle. Warn them first and then arrest them when they don't comply. This is what every other functional city does. You 'protect' the quality of life for the public at large, not run a 'what can you do' apologist policy
Yep - you get the mentally ill off the streets (with treatment), because it’s the mentally ill who are defacating in the streets while screaming at invisible demons. I’ve lived here for years and have never been spat on (if I don’t count some of the posts in C-D lol).

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 04-25-2019 at 03:32 PM..

Old 04-25-2019, 03:32 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer1 View Post
Well, most of my neighbors and friends here are in favor of enforcing the nuisance laws and evicting them from the City. If the majority of residents want this, then the SFPD must enforce the laws. If the majority want to leave it a status-quo mess, I am quite disappointed.
You can't evict people from a city, get a grip. And you have no idea what the majority of people want and more than I do. The problem is that most of the laws that the homeless break are infractions or misdemeanors. You can't take people to jail for an infraction, you write them a ticket, and you can only book a person for a misdemeanor under specific conditions https://law.justia.com/codes/califor....5-853.85.html

A misdemeanor has to be committed in the presence of a Police Officer or a citizen willing to swear out a complaint. A pile of poop on the sidewalk cannot be linked to a particular person and no one is going to collect it and do DNA testing on it. A call from a citizen about a guy urinating on the side of a building isn't going to go very far unless he keeps peeing for the 5-15 minutes it takes for a cop to arrive and witness it, at which time the cop will write him a ticket which means nothing to the homeless person receiving it.

Even if it was realistic to book every homeless person who breaks the law, there isn't enough jail capacity for it. The SF County jail is under a court mandate to reduce overcrowding- that means for every homeless person you book the jail releases someone else, probably someone who has committed a far more serious crime.

Your expectations of what the police can do is completely detached from reality.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:47 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:
No I am being 100% real, you do not let homeless defecate on the streets, spit on people's face, aggressively panhandle. Warn them first and then arrest them when they don't comply. This is what every other functional city does. You 'protect' the quality of life for the public at large, not run a 'what can you do' apologist policy
Quote:
That's what you're not understanding - you don't enforce laws so homeless can get their act together, you enforce them to maintain quality of life for the ones that are functional. It's fine if you want to help the homeless with their issues but that must be secondary.

Your problem is you care more about the homeless than the tax paying citizens
Blake:
1. “They”, the kind you’re talking about, don’t care a whit about being arrested ... to them it’s called “three hots and a cot”, + free medical attention for their canker sores and other ailments. Then they walk out with a full belly and go right back to what they were doing where they were doing it. Meanwhile, you just picked up a big tab for everything involved in the arrest, booking, court hearing incarceration, supervision, food, cleaning, and medical expenses.

2. You have no idea what I care about ... because you aren’t paying attention while you are pontificating

3. I AM a “tax paying citizen”

Old 04-25-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yup. All the formerly homeless that were once harrassed now drive Teslas dontcha know.
See ‘em everyday all around me ... lucky bastards who paid attention to the Blakester!

Old 04-25-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
... A call from a citizen about a guy urinating on the side of a building isn't going to go very far unless he keeps peeing for the 5-15 minutes it takes for a cop to arrive and witness it, ....
That’s a LOT of beer! ... Pretty sure handing out Depends wouldn’t cover the leakage ...

Old 04-25-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You can't evict people from a city, get a grip. And you have no idea what the majority of people want and more than I do. The problem is that most of the laws that the homeless break are infractions or misdemeanors.
You are wasting your time - everyone knows (except Blake) it’s a costly and ineffective revolving door (to those it even applies to). The (visible) homeless problem is related to the lack of affordable housing (land cost and restrictions) as well as lack of treatment for the mentally ill. It’s past the time to modernize the LPS Act. Get the mentally ill treatment (and add housing) - and the ‘landscape’ changes dramatically.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:09 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
You are wasting your time - everyone knows (except Blake) it’s a costly and ineffective revolving door (to those it even applies to). The (visible) homeless problem is related to the lack of affordable housing (land cost and restrictions) as well as lack of treatment for the mentally ill. It’s past the time to modernize the LPS Act. Get the mentally ill treatment (and add housing) - and the ‘landscape’ changes dramatically.
You say "ineffective" because we're talking about two different things.

You are talking about helping the homeless with their situation. I am talking about helping the quality of life of the city, regardless of if you help the homeless or not.

If homeless people insist on living in a city they can't afford they should be forced into designated areas. Mentally ill should be hospitalized & treated.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
You say "ineffective" because we're talking about two different things.

You are talking about helping the homeless with their situation. I am talking about helping the quality of life of the city, regardless of if you help the homeless or not.
It’s not ‘two different things’. The only way you help quality of life for everyone (as it pertains to the homeless) is address the issue of homelessness (and reduce it); that’s not rocket science.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:32 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
It’s not ‘two different things’. The only way you help quality of life for everyone (as it pertains to the homeless) is address the issue of homelessness (and reduce it); that’s not rocket science.
You should address it, but before you do you need to move them off the sidewalk and stairways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland