Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2019, 10:01 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,007,568 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 10:14 AM

2 posts, read 1,080 times
Default I feel your pain from afar, glad to be out of SFO

Funny how some things change, and some remain the same. I lived in SFO back in the late 1970s thru 1986, when I moved to the Midwest with a job transfer. Having revisited my old stomping grounds in the City by the Bay many times over the last 32 years since, I can tell you these things:
GET INVOLVED. I mean politically. Because of voter apathy, these circumstances of too much liberalism being the underlying cause of problems will persist until the voting population GETS INVOLVED.
You should not accept a set of circumstances as being "set in stone" or "immovable" simply because your elected officials seem to believe they can run things the way THEY want, with no accountability to YOU, the voters who live there. GET INVOLVED.

So many living in SFO are viewed as being transient because they're not necessarily property owners, just renters. The bigger the numbers get for rent or owning, the less people will care to do the very least, which is to VOTE and GET INVOLVED to the extent that they can effect positive change in the City.

We liberals are great, but we tend to pander (read: throw money at) to the lower 1/4 of our population who don't work, suck off the welfare system, are drug addicts, criminals, homeless, mentally ill, and perhaps in our country illegally.

The myriad issues surrounding the homeless mentally ill was created over the last 50 years when the State shuttered hospitals for them & kicked those deranged patients out onto our streets. These people can't work, and can function only marginally. Our streets are inappropriate places for them!

This is one reason why SFO has become a veritable cesspool -people making oodles of money don't want to get involved & make the changes they want to see. And to be sure, not everyone in SFO makes oodles, but if you're waiting for the monied class to help out, you're waiting in vain.

We have the same issues here in the Midwest with elected officials making backroom deals with City workers' unions for votes. It was not until WE, THE PEOPLE started sounding the alarms that elected officials woke up & started doing their jobs instead of simply collecting paychecks & loading their campaign war chests.

We have also seen the uptick in homelessness and all the attendant issues caused by it (crime, drug use, alcohol abuse, filthy encampments, general filth). My comment to City "officials" is, we don't always have to pander to the lower 1/4 of our population! We who pay taxes deserve the benefits of our largesse, and we don't simply exist as pockets to be picked. We spend inordinate amounts of $$$ on shelters, free meals, clothing, etc. But you're talking about people who either cannot appreciate their surroundings, or don't care to. NO civic pride has lead to trash & crime.

Some who should have civic pride -don't. They just don't care. You have to teach them to care, or motivate them to care. Start charging them with appropriate offenses, and FORCE those who've got their wits about them to CLEAN up their messes. It's either they work off the fine, or they are incarcerated for a short time. Same thing California has done with petty criminals ->put them to work cleaning up the City.

As Americans, we need to revisit the notion that shuttering State-run mental hospitals will save taxpayers money. It's a lie. You kick mentally ill out on the streets, they commit crimes of necessity which lands them in jail. And jail costs infinitely more than hospitals, so we actually lose out in the end. Check NAMI (Natl Assoc for Mentally Ill) for stats.

I've grown weary of shelling out more money each year in the form of higher personal, property, and sales taxes when basic services and road repair are ignored. We screamed, and threatened. City officials don't want a general revolt of the taxpaying population because that means we shine a light on their goings-on, and they don't want or like it.

Get involved. Make demands because YOU WORKERS are the reason why 16 million people visit your City each year. However, I guarantee that things won't get better if taxpayers don't start making sane demands. Your property values are completely out of whack, and the issues caused by homelessness & open drug abuse persist and have only gotten worse as the years go on.

I've been keeping in touch with the SFO scene because I still have relatives there. Last time I visited, I was floored & disgusted by how degraded the City had become as a result of terrible leadership. Your elected officials are to blame for this, so hold them accountable. And if you're not voting, YOU are part of the problems and not the solutions.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:27 AM

1,336 posts, read 926,982 times
Also, if you are voting for the current majority party in the State, you are clearly fueling the problem.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:38 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,178,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Also, if you are voting for the current majority party in the State, you are clearly fueling the problem.

exactly... only 7% of the population in SF is Conservative. That's a lot of liberals voting for liberals. SF is toast there's no hope it'll ever change for the better.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:50 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,007,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
exactly... only 7% of the population in SF is Conservative. That's a lot of liberals voting for liberals. SF is toast there's no hope it'll ever change for the better.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:53 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
exactly... only 7% of the population in SF is Conservative.
And there's a reason for that.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:22 PM

1,336 posts, read 926,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
And there's a reason for that.
Yes, because liberals are flocking to SF to enjoy the 48 new genders to try on, free needles and poops. You know, the SF scene... all the good stuff.

Birds of a feather flock together.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:46 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post

That's for sure and that's going to take decades (or more, if ever) to turn around. That's what people wanted though. Now they have it.

Old 05-31-2019, 12:27 AM

603 posts, read 442,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
That's for sure and that's going to take decades (or more, if ever) to turn around. That's what people wanted though. Now they have it.
Yes they have got exactly what they deserve, unfortunately the whole state will suffer for decades probably until they all gender themselves into starvation.

Old 05-31-2019, 04:21 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeymoreClearly View Post
Funny how some things change, and some remain the same. I lived in SFO back in the late 1970s thru 1986, when I moved to the Midwest with a job transfer. Having revisited my old stomping grounds in the City by the Bay many times over the last 32 years since, I can tell you these things:
GET INVOLVED. I mean politically. Because of voter apathy, these circumstances of too much liberalism being the underlying cause of problems will persist until the voting population GETS INVOLVED.
You should not accept a set of circumstances as being "set in stone" or "immovable" simply because your elected officials seem to believe they can run things the way THEY want, with no accountability to YOU, the voters who live there. GET INVOLVED.

So many living in SFO are viewed as being transient because they're not necessarily property owners, just renters. The bigger the numbers get for rent or owning, the less people will care to do the very least, which is to VOTE and GET INVOLVED to the extent that they can effect positive change in the City.

We liberals are great, but we tend to pander (read: throw money at) to the lower 1/4 of our population who don't work, suck off the welfare system, are drug addicts, criminals, homeless, mentally ill, and perhaps in our country illegally.

The myriad issues surrounding the homeless mentally ill was created over the last 50 years when the State shuttered hospitals for them & kicked those deranged patients out onto our streets. These people can't work, and can function only marginally. Our streets are inappropriate places for them!

This is one reason why SFO has become a veritable cesspool -people making oodles of money don't want to get involved & make the changes they want to see. And to be sure, not everyone in SFO makes oodles, but if you're waiting for the monied class to help out, you're waiting in vain.

We have the same issues here in the Midwest with elected officials making backroom deals with City workers' unions for votes. It was not until WE, THE PEOPLE started sounding the alarms that elected officials woke up & started doing their jobs instead of simply collecting paychecks & loading their campaign war chests.

We have also seen the uptick in homelessness and all the attendant issues caused by it (crime, drug use, alcohol abuse, filthy encampments, general filth). My comment to City "officials" is, we don't always have to pander to the lower 1/4 of our population! We who pay taxes deserve the benefits of our largesse, and we don't simply exist as pockets to be picked. We spend inordinate amounts of $$$ on shelters, free meals, clothing, etc. But you're talking about people who either cannot appreciate their surroundings, or don't care to. NO civic pride has lead to trash & crime.

Some who should have civic pride -don't. They just don't care. You have to teach them to care, or motivate them to care. Start charging them with appropriate offenses, and FORCE those who've got their wits about them to CLEAN up their messes. It's either they work off the fine, or they are incarcerated for a short time. Same thing California has done with petty criminals ->put them to work cleaning up the City.

As Americans, we need to revisit the notion that shuttering State-run mental hospitals will save taxpayers money. It's a lie. You kick mentally ill out on the streets, they commit crimes of necessity which lands them in jail. And jail costs infinitely more than hospitals, so we actually lose out in the end. Check NAMI (Natl Assoc for Mentally Ill) for stats.

I've grown weary of shelling out more money each year in the form of higher personal, property, and sales taxes when basic services and road repair are ignored. We screamed, and threatened. City officials don't want a general revolt of the taxpaying population because that means we shine a light on their goings-on, and they don't want or like it.

Get involved. Make demands because YOU WORKERS are the reason why 16 million people visit your City each year. However, I guarantee that things won't get better if taxpayers don't start making sane demands. Your property values are completely out of whack, and the issues caused by homelessness & open drug abuse persist and have only gotten worse as the years go on.

I've been keeping in touch with the SFO scene because I still have relatives there. Last time I visited, I was floored & disgusted by how degraded the City had become as a result of terrible leadership. Your elected officials are to blame for this, so hold them accountable. And if you're not voting, YOU are part of the problems and not the solutions.
BRAVO k:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland