Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2019, 09:23 AM

1,336 posts, read 928,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
San Francisco will be interesting in the coming years. I think it's only a matter of time before the tech industry starts to feel unwelcome. Start to feel they are being fairly demonized and begin making plans to move as they watch their taxes rise.
I can tell you it's already way past untenable for new businesses to form. Easy for Facebook, Google, Apple, etc to hire workers and pay them the vast salaries that makes AOC all red in the face. But startups can't compete. Bay area will reach some steady state or start a slow decline very soon. Nobody wants to live there long term, thanks to what they helped create. I guess I could be part of the historical problem myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 10:41 AM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
I can tell you it's already way past untenable for new businesses to form. Easy for Facebook, Google, Apple, etc to hire workers and pay them the vast salaries that makes AOC all red in the face. But startups can't compete. Bay area will reach some steady state or start a slow decline very soon. Nobody wants to live there long term, thanks to what they helped create. I guess I could be part of the historical problem myself.
Well, you definitely ARE “part of [a] problem” yourself. Yes. No kidding ...

Old 06-07-2019, 11:48 AM

1,336 posts, read 928,323 times
Oh dear gracious Tulemutt, how are you today? How is the weather in San Diego bay?
I wish you a very pleasant weekend.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:31 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,055,420 times
Just saw this tweet today...

A homeless man takes a dump in front of people eating at a cafe in San Francisco (picture):

https://twitter.com/holhumm/status/1138261984544268288

I wonder if the homeless there do stuff like that on purpose just to irritate people?

Old 06-11-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
Just saw this tweet today...

A homeless man takes a dump in front of people eating at a cafe in San Francisco (picture):

I wonder if the homeless there do stuff like that on purpose just to irritate people?
I have no doubt that is sometimes the motivation.

That said, public toilets would 95% solve the problem.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:52 AM

8,668 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
If so, it apparently worked on you (based on your self-righteous obsession and rehashing of photos/the subject). That said, I doubt people become homeless or mentally ill just to ‘irritate’ you.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:29 AM

830 posts, read 486,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
If so, it apparently worked on you (based on your self-righteous obsession and rehashing of photos/the subject). That said, I doubt people become homeless or mentally ill just to ‘irritate’ you.
It appears the self-righteousness is all you own, as Masterful_Man doesn't seem 'obsessed' in the least.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:36 AM

830 posts, read 486,919 times
A friend and I walked about 30 miles in San Francisco over the weekend, and we were amazed at how bad the homeless/trash/filth aspect of the city has gotten even when comparing with just a few years ago. The lower numbered street of Valencia are particularly interesting/disturbing, as you can see the high end boutiques right next to the squalor and filth.

One area we walked through (near the Mission street flea market) felt like a border crossing in a third world country. I thought I was in Burma for a minute.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
A friend and I walked about 30 miles in San Francisco over the weekend, and we were amazed at how bad the homeless/trash/filth aspect of the city has gotten even when comparing with just a few years ago. The lower numbered street of Valencia are particularly interesting/disturbing, as you can see the high end boutiques right next to the squalor and filth.

One area we walked through (near the Mission street flea market) felt like a border crossing in a third world country. I thought I was in Burma for a minute.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Why did you walk through blighted areas? There’s lots to see and do without that exposure.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:52 AM

8,668 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
It appears the self-righteousness is all you own, as Masterful_Man doesn't seem 'obsessed' in the least.
I’m not the one who is irritated and rehashing photos/posts about the homeless/mentally ill - nor am I piously judging the homelessness crisis by reducing it to (arrogantly) pointing a finger to a man on the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland