Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2018, 10:12 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
They do, they could go to tenderloin anytime and find people to arrest but they dont.
Lmfao ... bmw, the cops can issue all kinds of tickets for traffic violations and littering and a bazzilion other things too ... all day anywhere. But they don’t. Know why? No, you don’t. Because you are clueless about laws, law enforcement, court systems, and prisons.

Resources have limits.

Only your uninformed imagination doesn’t.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
And how do you know that?
He read it somewhere on CD Forum, San Francisco ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Could they, though? I’m just jumping in to this part of the discussion, but my first thought is that SFPD simply doesn’t have the time or resources to go dealer-hunting... if they see it they’ll likely do something (whether or not it involves arresting them), but mostly they’re too busy dealing with other/bigger issues. The cops have to prioritize their time, and it’s more important to handle things like assaults, major accidents, drunk drivers, etc.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:16 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,021,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCROX View Post
You think tulemutt is ambulatory?
Phony story coming up...
What was the last phony story?

Old 08-11-2018, 10:20 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Lmfao ... bmw, the cops can issue all kinds of tickets for traffic violations and littering and a bazzilion other things too ... all day anywhere. But they don’t. Know why? No, you don’t. Because you are clueless about laws, law enforcement, court systems, and prisons.

Resources have limits.

Only your uninformed imagination doesn’t.
You know what? I lived in SF for five years, and grew up just south in San Mateo - and I’ve literally NEVER gotten a traffic ticket in the city. And this isn’t because I’m such a cautious/perfect driver, as I’ve probably had a dozen moving violations in my 25 years of driving (mostly for minor speeding when I was younger). No, it’s because they literally don’t care unless you’re being CRAZY or drunk behind the wheel.

One time I was driving down Bayshore Blvd, and going just 5ish mph over the limit b/c a cop was behind me... he honked and gave me the “c’mon lady!” hand signal. So I sped up to like 15mph over the limit, and he waved a thank you.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:34 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You know what? I lived in SF for five years, and grew up just south in San Mateo - and I’ve literally NEVER gotten a traffic ticket in the city. And this isn’t because I’m such a cautious/perfect driver, as I’ve probably had a dozen moving violations in my 25 years of driving (mostly for minor speeding when I was younger). No, it’s because they literally don’t care unless you’re being CRAZY or drunk behind the wheel.

One time I was driving down Bayshore Blvd, and going just 5ish mph over the limit b/c a cop was behind me... he honked and gave me the “c’mon lady!” hand signal. So I sped up to like 15mph over the limit, and he waved a thank you.

I did 70 mph down Lincoln Way back in the day

Old 08-12-2018, 04:18 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,249,409 times
Affordable housing or more shelters isn't the answer as previously documented in a variety of articles. The people in encampments don't want to be in the shelters because their stuff can be stolen, they have to follow rules, and usually have to be out of the shelter during the day. As I've stated before, the people who are "down on their luck" are the ones who reach out to the services we provide to help them get back on their feet. The ones in tents are typically those who don't want to live by society's rules or have addiction/mental issues. Tell me why these people should get free housing, provided by our tax dollars? I lived below my means for years to afford a house here and am continually working my butt off to pay my mortgage and you people just want to give these people free housing... in the most expensive city in the country

Again, I think SF should try a different approach of cutting the 'benefits' and seeing what happens.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:54 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
Affordable housing or more shelters isn't the answer as previously documented in a variety of articles.
I must have missed something, where are those previously documented sources showing that housing and shelters aren't the answer?
Quote:
The people in encampments don't want to be in the shelters because their stuff can be stolen, they have to follow rules, and usually have to be out of the shelter during the day. As I've stated before, the people who are "down on their luck" are the ones who reach out to the services we provide to help them get back on their feet. The ones in tents are typically those who don't want to live by society's rules or have addiction/mental issues. Tell me why these people should get free housing, provided by our tax dollars? I lived below my means for years to afford a house here and am continually working my butt off to pay my mortgage and you people just want to give these people free housing... in the most expensive city in the country
Really? I think you are confused about what a shelter is and why a homeless person might refuse to stay in one. Shelter beds are issued on a first come first serve basis for one night only. There are usually waiting lines, sometimes hours long just to get a cot. If you get in you have to leave the next morning at around 7am and try to find something to do for the rest of the day. Shelters are not housing, they don't even pretend to be housing. Women, the disabled and the frail elderly avoid them because they are vulnerable to assault by other residents. Homeless people refuse shelters for other reasons too; they are not usually allowed to bring any of their belongings with them and they have a reputation of being infested with bed bugs, lice and fleas.
Quote:
Again, I think SF should try a different approach of cutting the 'benefits' and seeing what happens.
I can tell you what will happen, there will be more crap on the sidewalk and more homeless trying to get admitted to hospitals so they will have a place to sleep. WTF do you think they are going to do? The money spent on the homeless doesn't do much more than mitigate the problems caused by the most out of control homeless, it's not like SF is giving them paychecks and apartments.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:04 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times
Remove the drug addicts to prison, focus on the homeless people who want to improve their situations. Give them work cleaning up streets and parks. Easy problem solved!

Old 08-12-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I can tell you what will happen, there will be more crap on the sidewalk and more homeless trying to get admitted to hospitals so they will have a place to sleep. WTF do you think they are going to do? The money spent on the homeless doesn't do much more than mitigate the problems caused by the most out of control homeless, it's not like SF is giving them paychecks and apartments.
... yes. And you forgot the [dramatic] increase in crime ... desperate people do increasingly desperate things.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Remove the drug addicts to prison, focus on the homeless people who want to improve their situations. Give them work cleaning up streets and parks. Easy problem solved!
We’ve just covered this, and you come back for more? Great: public drunkeness is a misdemeanor ... no more than a free meal and a bed for a night. Drug possession in small quantities without intent to sell is almost always also charged as a misdemeanor (read above: meal and a bed), unless accompanied by other charges such as robbery and assault in which case possession may optionally be elevated to felony if the prosecutor is targeting the individual for increased sentencing.

Ok. So then you say: ‘Change the damn laws and guidelines!” Right. And while you are doing that, go find the resources it will take to observe, pursue, ... and arrest, jail, try and convict in the courts (hey, the court system has lots and lots of low wage prosecutors, defenders and judges with nothing but time on their hands waiting for something to fall across their desks to keep them from dying of boredom) ... and then, finally, pay $71,000 each prisoner’s annual costs ... only to have them eventually released back to no income, no-low employability, no housing ... and ... wait for it: their previous habits.

Brilliant solution, bmw! Run for mayor! Of course you’d have to move back from Flory-dah to San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland