Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 12:32 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,256,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What are you even talking about?
I think it was pretty clear what I was talking about.
Quote:
There are fewer shelter beds in San Francisco now than there were in 2004. There are 1203 shelter beds and 686 navigation center beds for approximately 7,500 homeless.
So what? The link I provided lists shelters all the way down the Peninsula. In fact that link shows that there are currently 3807 Homeless Shelters and Social Services available. Too freaking bad if a homeless person does not want to get help from any of the 3807 shelters and social services.
Quote:
And there are a number of homeless who refuse to sleep in shelters, not because they can't abide by the rules, although some can't, but because some of them fear assault or theft of their personal belongings.
You are not the spoke's person for all the reasons homeless folks refuse to get help or stay in shelters. What a crock of excuses and nonsense you are always trying to peddle. Sure the streets are much safer and they never have to worry about getting their belongings stolen or being assulted. I work closely with the police in my area to combat the homeless mess and their menace to society behaviors and the number one reason they can't handle a shelter is due to not being able to follow the rules. Drugs and alcohol are far more important for many of them.
Quote:
Most shelters only allow the homeless to bring a few personal effect with them, since they can't count on having a bed the next night (except for the navigation beds which are assigned for a month or two) they usually aren't willing to discard their tent or sleeping bag in order to get a shelter bed for one night not knowing when they will get one again. It's far more complex than you try to make it out to be.
Again you are not the spoke's person for all the reasons why the homeless refuse help.

You can make all the excuses you want but I don't buy one single story you are trying to peddle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 02:53 AM

1,203 posts, read 835,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
From the article the OP posted:

"You may ask, “Who cares what some dad from a flyover state or some businessman from another country thinks of us?” But consider this: The tourism industry in San Francisco supports 80,000 jobs, many of them filled by the diverse, working-class people we profess to want to keep here.

Tourism brings an eye-popping $9 BILLION into the city every year, $725 million of which comes in the form of local taxes going straight to City Hall.

That’s the money helping to fund our police officers, parks, libraries — and, yes, homeless services."
Precisely. On a percentage basis, SF and NY are a wash with a difference of .109% (sorry, not going to split hairs over something that is clearly not going to be noticeable). LA on a percentage basis is less than both. And in NY's case, they are housing more so clearly less are noticeable.

This is a perception problem. And it does indeed matter that in San Francisco it's concentrated mainly in areas with tourist hotels, so to try and downplay that is just silly. No one's talking about NY or LA, but everyone seems to be talking about San Francisco. Yeah, it is a BFD and a lot of money (and saying it's only concentrated in a small area doesn't change that).

Old 06-26-2018, 05:09 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,915,130 times
Live west of Divisadero - better yet, west of Arguello. Get a new governor and a new mayor. Relocate the homeless to some unwanted county in the inland West and build them homes on the condition that they stay there. Bring back civilized life in San Francisco, formerly and someday the best American city.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:02 AM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
I think the topic, "What Should Be Done About the Homeless?" should be moved to the Great Debates forum. It is a VERY important subject with no easy answers, and my guess is that almost all U.S. cities with more than a population of 100,000 have a problem with this.

(And I completely agree that this problem will get worse in the coming decades and not better.)

Old 06-26-2018, 07:14 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post

You are not the spoke's person for all the reasons homeless folks refuse to get help or stay in shelters. What a crock of excuses and nonsense you are always trying to peddle. Sure the streets are much safer and they never have to worry about getting their belongings stolen or being assulted. I work closely with the police in my area to combat the homeless mess and their menace to society behaviors and the number one reason they can't handle a shelter is due to not being able to follow the rules.

Drugs and alcohol are far more important for many of them.
You don't like the explanation that the shelters are lacking in San Francisco, so why don't you enlighten us?

Why is New York City with a higher population of homeless doing such a better of job getting them help?

Why is the IMPACT of homeless so much more pronounced in San Francisco?

Old 06-26-2018, 08:03 AM

872 posts, read 595,468 times
New York is a mess- you really want what di blasio has done to New York in San Francisco? They have only created a huge dependent population of wandering individuals and a huge army of overpaid personnel and vendors- its disgusting- you want that for San Francisco? Throngs of drunks, druggies and mess makers just doing whatever all day and night?
Is this story only on fox news? Do you think the new york situation is being "managed" or are they getting the criminals and crazies off the street ( not!) there is soo much money involved here..... its all over now- except for the gated and rich communities..
Vietnam veteran, New York state deputy arrest man accused of stealing dog tags from war memorial | Fox News
100.00 bail - he needs to be back out there I guess.
Sorry- yah- its time to get them to facilities until we can get them sobered up and sorted out...harm to yourself or others ?...well we have a nice safe place to take care of you.
The tourists will logically vote with their time and money - if the businesses in SF suffer enough maybe they will do something- maybe leave or fight this situation?
We all know this is going to escalate in a very destructive way if gavin wins- he will make jerry look like Dwight Eisenhower

Old 06-26-2018, 08:27 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,202 times
The bottomline is that the solution to homelessness has to be at the national level, not local. A lot of local solutions, including SF, are to just ship them elsewhere and make it somebody else's problem.

Other local solutions, like in a lot of southern states, is just to round up the homeless and dump them in the poor areas, so proper white people are not offended by their sight. Hardly humane, but it passes as a working working solution on these boards. Out of sight, out of mind!!

Oklahoma City, with less than half of SF's population and probably a quarter of the housing prices has the same number of homeless. https://newsok.com/article/5513341/o...e-report-finds

It is not logical or feasible to house homeless in the most expensive parts of the country. However, it is also improper to have SF ship its homeless to Utah without Utah's consent.

The solution needs to be to create well-run shelters that provide supportive services by the federal government with the states providing part of the funding. Anything else will not work.

Good luck, however, getting the GOP to acknowledge the homeless as people. They would rather keep waxing poetic about how we need more funding for mental health, without ever actually passing it.

Last edited by HappyinCali; 06-26-2018 at 08:36 AM..

Old 06-26-2018, 08:31 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
I think it was pretty clear what I was talking about.
So what? The link I provided lists shelters all the way down the Peninsula. In fact that link shows that there are currently 3807 Homeless Shelters and Social Services available. Too freaking bad if a homeless person does not want to get help from any of the 3807 shelters and social services.
You are not the spoke's person for all the reasons homeless folks refuse to get help or stay in shelters. What a crock of excuses and nonsense you are always trying to peddle. Sure the streets are much safer and they never have to worry about getting their belongings stolen or being assulted. I work closely with the police in my area to combat the homeless mess and their menace to society behaviors and the number one reason they can't handle a shelter is due to not being able to follow the rules. Drugs and alcohol are far more important for many of them.
Again you are not the spoke's person for all the reasons why the homeless refuse help.
You can make all the excuses you want but I don't buy one single story you are trying to peddle.
No, that link does not show that there are 3807 Homeless shelters and services; it is a statement at the top of the website with no explanation or link to these thousands of shelters. Did you look at your "resource", they list a shelter for runaway youth in Martinez which is 30 miles and one bridge away and a drop in day center in Menlo park and you claim that those are solutions for the San Francisco homeless? Did you just think we dummies wouldn't notice? And what's even more laughable about your link is this statement on their website:
Quote:
Homeless Shelter Directory is not associated with any government agency. This website is updated and maintained by users like you who help improve the quality of online resources for the homeless and needy. https://www.homelessshelterdirectory...ing_update.php
You could list the Matadora homeless shelter and then they would have 3808 shelters and resources I told you how many shelter beds there are in San Francisco. Why you felt compelled to scramble to find something that proved I was wrong is curious.

Oh I bet you work closely with the police, you probably call 911 every time you see a homeless person. The Police do not "work closely" with individual citizens, what they do is humor the busybodies and chronic complainers and laugh at them behind their back.

And I never said I was anyone's spokesperson but I have worked with the poor and the homeless for the last 30 years so I might just know a bit more about them than you.

Temporary Shelter – Department of Homelessness and Supportive Housing

https://medium.com/@josefow/the-one-...s-e863329ba8ed

Old 06-26-2018, 10:09 AM

21,727 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Quote:
Who's money will fund these new homes for the homeless? Who's money will maintain these homes? Pay the insurance, utilities and garbage fees?

I think a better plan is to allow them to panhandle enough money to purchase a ticket to more affordable city with cheaper and more plentiful housing.
Yeah. We know that works because there’s almost no homeless left compared to previous years: they’ve all moved on to greener pastures and home ownership in Nebraska with the money they bummed off San Franciscans ...

Old 06-26-2018, 10:17 AM

21,727 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Really? And who is going to pay the property taxes? When something breaks, who is going to fix it? Who is going to mow the lawn? give these people a "home" and it will be trashed and in ruins within a year's time. You can't instill a sense of pride and self respect into people. There are so many programs out there to help people who want to make something of themselves. But you can't force people to be decent, caring, upstanding citizens who contribute to society.
Um. The quote wasn’t suggesting building more ‘subsidized’ homes for the homeless to move into ... it was referring to the effect limited housing inventory has on market pricing driving low income out of options and eventually, for some, into the streets.

No one has suggested giving SFR’s to unqualified homeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland