Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2018, 11:22 PM

292 posts, read 432,348 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking for a DME supplier in the Bay Area that has CPAP machines and supplies. Are there any recommendations here from you guys? If it matters, I have Medicare and Medi-cal as I am disabled.

My doctor sent the prescription to a place called Nationwide Medical for a ResMed machine, but they have bad online reviews and they have not called me at all in 2 weeks to arrange a meeting. I am going to tell him to send the prescription elsewhere, based on your recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 03:13 AM

1,203 posts, read 842,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit View Post
Hi, I am looking for a DME supplier in the Bay Area that has CPAP machines and supplies. Are there any recommendations here from you guys? If it matters, I have Medicare and Medi-cal as I am disabled.

My doctor sent the prescription to a place called Nationwide Medical for a ResMed machine, but they have bad online reviews and they have not called me at all in 2 weeks to arrange a meeting. I am going to tell him to send the prescription elsewhere, based on your recommendations.
I have no idea on what places are covered by Medicare or Medi-cal. I use SleepQuest.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:22 PM

Hi, sorry for the late reply. Do you like them? Do they try to sell you unneeded supplies?

Old 07-22-2018, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,176 times
I've had OK experience with Nationwide. Have you had your initial consultation at home ?
In my case, my initial home consultation was conducted by a local company that is contracted
by Nationwide. My contact with Nationwide only began after that first step. My phone
communication with Nationwide through the phone number on their website went OK after that.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:33 PM

1,203 posts, read 842,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit View Post
Hi, sorry for the late reply. Do you like them? Do they try to sell you unneeded supplies?
Yes. They have certain guidelines that they follow to recommend replacement hoses and cushions, but there was never any hard selling. A couple of times I told them I wanted to hold off or reduce the number and that was it.

On the initial mask, they give you an option to switch to a different one at no charge (i.e. nasal mask to full face).

Old 07-22-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann510 View Post
I've had OK experience with Nationwide. Have you had your initial consultation at home ?
In my case, my initial home consultation was conducted by a local company that is contracted
by Nationwide. My contact with Nationwide only began after that first step. My phone
communication with Nationwide through the phone number on their website went OK after that.
Thanks Johann! I don't feel comfortable letting them in my home for various reasons, so that is why they have to be close by, so I can go to their office the first time at least. But it is good to know they are reputable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
Yes. They have certain guidelines that they follow to recommend replacement hoses and cushions, but there was never any hard selling. A couple of times I told them I wanted to hold off or reduce the number and that was it.

On the initial mask, they give you an option to switch to a different one at no charge (i.e. nasal mask to full face).
Ok, so you gave them a good recommendation then. That makes me feel better! Thank you.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:59 PM

2 posts, read 1,176 times
I've found that the representative "assigned" to calling you for the refresh supplies is more knowledgeable about the rules of when you can order another mask type or return it than the generic representative in California HQ that you get when you call the website phone number. So it helps to get the contact info for your assigned representative who must be in a different department. Mine was based in some office back east (NY?).

Many people, including myself, go through several masks before they find one they can live with. Try to hang in there.

I had to go to a nasal pillow mask before my central apnea events went down.

Last edited by Johann510; 07-23-2018 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: removed extra blank lines

Old 07-24-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann510 View Post
I've found that the representative "assigned" to calling you for the refresh supplies is more knowledgeable about the rules of when you can order another mask type or return it than the generic representative in California HQ that you get when you call the website phone number. So it helps to get the contact info for your assigned representative who must be in a different department. Mine was based in some office back east (NY?).

Many people, including myself, go through several masks before they find one they can live with. Try to hang in there.

I had to go to a nasal pillow mask before my central apnea events went down.
Thanks Johann for that advice!

I used a nasal pilow in my sleep study, and it turned out great. I am glad it worked for you too. All the masks I tried leaked at the higher pressures.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:04 AM

317 posts, read 310,489 times
I do believe Apria is an approved DME supplier for Medicare. Good luck!
https://www.apria.com/medicare/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland