Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 08:33 AM

281 posts, read 309,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
As has been noted above the lower income housing is allowing the minimum wage and a bit higher waged individuals to have adequate affordable housing. I have seen too many low cost ghettos near ultra rich communities. That housing, in most cases, does not meet minimum FHA standards. If all California communities had an affordable segment it would be so much more equitable. And, it would allow all income levels to enjoy those beautiful areas of California. Why should only the rich enjoy Marin and other tony places?

I believe that affordable housing in all communities would lessen the state tax burdens if communities took care of their own residents. Love your neighbor!
Should poor be allowed to drive Rolls-Royces for the price of Camrys, so they can enjoy the comforts and luxury of driving such a beautiful car? That's a wonderful thought, and maybe from a strictly idealistic point of view they should. I have some other idealistic thoughts...
1. Everyone should get up and go to work!
2. Everyone should abide by the law and not join gangs.
3. Everyone should look at their neighbor who has more with admiration and strive to reach that level, not desire to take what is his.

The above are all idealistic thoughts, but are they realistic? We all know the answer to this.

Again, I am not suggesting there should be no affordable housing. In fact, I am totally for affordable housing, in the sense that people making the median income of the city they reside being able to buy some of the available homes. Also, the reality is even the most rich of communities still have grocery stores, still have McDonald's, still have Starbucks, so there is a need for people who work those places to have somewhere to live.
I even feel there should be some bona fide low-income properties, both from a realistic and compassion point of view. However, when low income areas become so dance it starts to affect the beauty and tranquility of a currently beautiful area, that's well I have a problem.

We have seen this experiment over and over, particularly in California. I lived many years in Southern California. There are areas that were once upscale that are hard to recognize now. Sherman Oaks in particular comes to mind. I do not want Marin to turn into Oceanside or much of Western Los Angeles. Once beautiful areas that are now somewhat trashed. Unfortunately, one of the best and somewhat equitable ways to keep an area nice is to keep the price high. If you got the money, regardless of your color, you can live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 10:18 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Troy View Post

We have seen this experiment over and over, particularly in California. I lived many years in Southern California. There are areas that were once upscale that are hard to recognize now. Sherman Oaks in particular comes to mind. I do not want Marin to turn into Oceanside or much of Western Los Angeles. Once beautiful areas that are now somewhat trashed. Unfortunately, one of the best and somewhat equitable ways to keep an area nice is to keep the price high. If you got the money, regardless of your color, you can live here.
What happened in/to Sherman Oaks?

Old 11-16-2018, 05:44 AM

281 posts, read 309,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sherman Oaks, in my opinion, especially over by the Galleria, looks a hot mess! In fact, a large part of Ventura Boulevard on my own once beautiful strip, looks a hot mess. Tents and vendors and people selling fruit, on and on. It may not look terrible to someone unfamiliar with the area, but these were once Posh areas.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:57 AM

872 posts, read 596,088 times
A trashy presentation only underscores the need for more and more money ( ahem) resources...

Old 11-16-2018, 09:59 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Sherman Oaks, in my opinion, especially over by the Galleria, looks a hot mess! In fact, a large part of Ventura Boulevard on my own once beautiful strip, looks a hot mess. Tents and vendors and people selling fruit, on and on. It may not look terrible to someone unfamiliar with the area, but these were once Posh areas.
I couldn't find contemporary photos of the area, so I looked up some of the real estate listings. Still very posh. Not sure how that co-exists with what you describe. Where to the posh people go to do their shopping and errands, if the commercial district it trashed out?

Old 11-16-2018, 12:41 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,547,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Not a damned thing.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:

Boutique stores, Target, Whole Foods, Cheesecake Factory, upscale furniture stores, vintage record stores, organic eateries, juice bars and sushi bars are a "hot mess"???

Old 11-16-2018, 12:51 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,788 times
I saw Santa Ana mentioned. I lived there for a couple years in the early 1970s. Came back east and haven't seen it since. Is Santa Ana that bad?

Last edited by applej3; 11-16-2018 at 01:05 PM..

Old 11-16-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
I saw Santa Ana mentioned. I lived there for a couple years in the early 1970s. Came back east and haven't seen it since. Is Santa Ana that bad?

No.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:36 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,499,077 times
This thread is exactly why I work in Marin County but live in the East Bay. Marin is pretty to look at, but the people are terrible. There's more love for fellow humankind on my block in Richmond than entire towns in Marin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland