Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 12:12 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,650,271 times

Advertisements

Some of the low-income housing in Fort Worth, TX is nicer than anything I could afford at market rate.

It annoys me that I would not qualify for reduced rate senior housing in this city, but could not afford market rate senior housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 02:26 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,576,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
How much have you visited, and where is all the "free public housing" located? Every subsidized housing project requires the tenant to pay at least part of the rent, usually 30%.
Shows how little you know. You shouldn't make statements you know nothing about.
My tenant that just vacated paid $50 out of pocket for a rent of $950 a month in Wisconsin. That's 95%.
I have 3 rentals in Alabama, 2 get 100% paid and one got 60% paid.

Where do you get your information? Mine is from actually owning rentals and dealing with sec 8. How about you? Maybe you can go to sec 8 and tell them how much the tenants should pay

Old 12-03-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
that's disgusting, shame on you
No what's disgusting is what I saw. Not shame on me, shame on those sec 8 tenants that were ungrateful for the handout they got.
Then shame on you for thinking this kind of behavior is acceptable.
You might think it's ok for sec 8 tenants to damage a landlord's property, but then landlords will pull the properties off the sec 8 list. That means more people that truly deserve help with housing will not get it because fewer properties are available to them because of some people that don't deserve it ruined it for everyone and people like you support them.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:13 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,548,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
No what's disgusting is what I saw. Not shame on me, shame on those sec 8 tenants that were ungrateful for the handout they got.
You might think it's ok for sec 8 tenants to damage a landlord's property, but then landlords will pull the properties off the sec 8 list. That means more people that truly deserve help with housing will not get it because fewer properties are available to them because of some people that don't deserve it ruined it for everyone and people like you support them.

You didn't have to rent to Section 8, you chose to because you wanted a guaranteed rental income stream from Uncle Sam's pocket to yours. And then you got dealt the cold, hard reality of Section 8 tenants.

Did you ever ask yourself, during this whole process, how you'd feel if YOUR neighbor rented to those kind of people and subjected you to dealing with that on a daily basis?

I think you learned your lesson.

This is just one of the few reasons why we probably need to think about abolishing Section 8 and moving back toward government-owned housing projects managed by private entities and law enforcement.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:03 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
I don't think you understood what part of your post I found disgusting but I will leave it go at that. As far as section 8, I think it's an awful program, it doesn't provide help to enough people, and for some people it provides too much help. I would rather see income based rent subsidies. In some markets section 8 distorts market rent with landlords renting for the max Section 8 will pay even though that is more than market rate, leaving non section 8 renters with few options.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:21 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Time to revisit the B.I.G. / U.B.I. discussion ... again. Junk all welfare, including Section 8.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
You didn't have to rent to Section 8, you chose to because you wanted a guaranteed rental income stream from Uncle Sam's pocket to yours. And then you got dealt the cold, hard reality of Section 8 tenants.

Did you ever ask yourself, during this whole process, how you'd feel if YOUR neighbor rented to those kind of people and subjected you to dealing with that on a daily basis?

I think you learned your lesson.

This is just one of the few reasons why we probably need to think about abolishing Section 8 and moving back toward government-owned housing projects managed by private entities and law enforcement.
Are you a landlord? Probably not. You should also read the entire thread about my experience with section 8. You have no idea about how I run my rentals . The houses had sec 8 tenants in them when I bought them. I cannot kick them out when I buy the property, the lease comes with it.

As far a guaranteed rental stream, you have no idea what you are talking about. I own over 20 rentals and the worst cash flowing ones are the sec 8, so don't give me any lectures on me learning my lessons on how I went for the guaranteed money from Uncle Sam. As sec 8 tenants leave I will re rent, but not to sec 8 because overall they make less money. Sec 8 has so many loopholes for the tenants to not pay rent and the damage they cause because they have no skin in the game often wipes out the rent you get.
It's better to get tenants you screen that earn their money and pay rent themselves because they will pull less BS if they are accountable.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I don't think you understood what part of your post I found disgusting but I will leave it go at that. As far as section 8, I think it's an awful program, it doesn't provide help to enough people, and for some people it provides too much help. I would rather see income based rent subsidies. In some markets section 8 distorts market rent with landlords renting for the max Section 8 will pay even though that is more than market rate, leaving non section 8 renters with few options.
I apologize. I thought you were saying I was disgusting for saying what I did about the tenants. My bad.
My first sec 8 renters as I said were good people, an elderly couple on a fixed income. It was the pool of others I saw that turned me off.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:38 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Probably not the best way to put it but my Subsidized management experience is Housing has basically washed it's hands outside of the payment portion of the program.

Much different from the days when Housing Screened and Placed families and performed maintaince.

Housing getting out of the Security Deposit Guarantee sent a stong message and this was due to the high number of claims...

I was still operating under the old system when one tenant went off the deep end... she had a December anniversery date... so when I submitted a damage claim to Housing I was told they no longer deal with damage... I had to point out my contract had not been transssitioned so YOU WILL process my claim and Housing did and paid the max of two months rent less the $135 I was entitled to collect at move in... it was the very last claim paid by the Oakland Housing Authority...

I have met many good people on assistance over the last 35 years... but the program today bears little resemblance to what it was and is not longer the Public/Private partnership as it was at inception.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:18 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,557,029 times
Quote:
So how many have you actually visited? I've seen a lot of public housing that is not so nice, much of it is from tenant abuse. When they have no skin in the game, they simply don't care. Throw garbage all around, work on cars and leave parts and oil all over the place. Some of them just have different attitudes than the norm.
I'm from Chicagoland. We had the most infamous public housing "projects" in the nation. Many of those massive towers and rows and rows of townhomes were rightfully disassembled. That is a flawed model.

However, I grew up in a suburban area with integrated Section 8 apartments and municipally financed 2-4 household townhomes interspersed in a neighborhood where the median home value is in excess of $1.3 million. That is an effective model, and that's what most affordable housing developments and programs look like today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland