Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 03:35 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times

Advertisements

It looks like Newsom figured out a very good way to 'encourage' places like Marin County to build a certain number of units of affordable housing...if they don't meet the goals they don't get their portion of gas tax revenue https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...dNQUlMLkNPTQ==

I bet Marin county will learn to love affordable housing once they are faced with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 03:37 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
True, dodge ... but low income housing isn’t comprised of view beachfront houses. It is small, efficiency apartments / condos with common grounds and some shared facilities on fringe properties. And the point is to bring affordable services as well as diversity to the wealthier area residents. So there’s benefit all round.
I totally agree. You might not like it, but it is necessary for the person who cuts your hair, is a crossing guard for your kids, works at the McDonald's down the street, etc. to be able to afford to come and provide those services and to add to the diversity of the town. San Francisco, and Marin County, are ridiculously expensive for the average wage earner at minimum wage; to ask them to commute miles for such a job is almost inhumane.

Such families add to the flavor of a vanilla school or town, and enriches society by not only making those individuals better by allowing them better services in the county and town they live in, but also provide a break in the unreal bubble of some affluent towns where kids are so sheltered from the real experience of others that it is almost harmful.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:40 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Mandating that rich people build housing for poor people in their midst is a fool's errand. The only point of being rich is to improve your surroundings and experiences. People move up to get away from the unwashed (and uneducated, low class, etc) masses, not to wind up living next door to them.

Such a joke.
The "unwashed"? What a snob. I am sure my surroundings are as nice as yours, and such a term would never even cross my thoughts.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:22 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
The "unwashed"? What a snob. I am sure my surroundings are as nice as yours, and such a term would never even cross my thoughts.
Yep...just referring to the homeless teeming refuse that the Dems have been importing into the country....

That's literally their reference point. That's the poem they cite for an excuse!

Old 03-11-2019, 04:30 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It looks like Newsom figured out a very good way to 'encourage' places like Marin County to build a certain number of units of affordable housing...if they don't meet the goals they don't get their portion of gas tax revenue https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...dNQUlMLkNPTQ==

I bet Marin county will learn to love affordable housing once they are faced with that.
Nonsense. No one wants affordable housing. It is being forced down people's throats. It is not a win-win either. The recipients win a subsidy and the surrounding neighbors "win" a decreased QOL due to the presence of the poor who bring nothing but problems.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:33 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
I totally agree. You might not like it, but it is necessary for the person who cuts your hair, is a crossing guard for your kids, works at the McDonald's down the street, etc. to be able to afford to come and provide those services and to add to the diversity of the town. San Francisco, and Marin County, are ridiculously expensive for the average wage earner at minimum wage; to ask them to commute miles for such a job is almost inhumane.

Such families add to the flavor of a vanilla school or town, and enriches society by not only making those individuals better by allowing them better services in the county and town they live in, but also provide a break in the unreal bubble of some affluent towns where kids are so sheltered from the real experience of others that it is almost harmful.
So in other words it is good to bring some blight lest people "remain in their bubbles". In what ways, pray tell, are the newcomers "enriching" the existing residents? Decreased security/more crime, poor school performance, more trash on the streets, more juvenile delinquency?

Old 03-11-2019, 07:34 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,559,492 times
Quote:
There are no beach houses in Marin County, and subsidized apartments in Marin County simply means that a certain number of units need to be dedicated to low-middle income families. For forty years Marin County has pulled every trick in the book to make sure that all subsidized housing got built in Vallejo, that's just BS and needs to stop. Almost every major City in the US has apartment buildings that dedicate a small number of units to the poor/middle class, it has not negatively impacted the wealthy tenants.
1. Do you even think before you type? Marin County has beach houses unless you're going to tell me the houses in Stinson Beach, Dillon Beach, Bolinas , etc are all imaginary.
2. Marin County already has some subsidized housing, so there goes your statement that Marin made sure all the subsidized housing got built in Vallejo.
https://affordablehousingonline.com/...a/Marin-County

"There are 70 low income housing apartment complexes which contain 3,237 affordable apartments for rent in Marin County, California. Many of these rental apartments are income based housing with about 1,691 apartments that set rent based on your income. Often referred to as "HUD apartments", there are 767 Project-Based Section 8 subsidized apartments in Marin County. There are 1,546 other low income apartments that don't have rental assistance but are still considered to be affordable housing for low income families."

The BS that has got to stop is the stuff you make up to support your beliefs.
It's fun to tell others that are better off than you the sacrifices they have to make to accommodate others. Why try to better yourself with education and hard work when people like you will get housing for them in the best areas at taxpayers cost, which you've already said their income is low so they shouldn't have to pay for taxes.
I can't afford Marin County, but I know enough financially that I probably could game the system to make myself qualify for low income housing. "Only in America!"

Old 03-11-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:

My sister lives in Marin county and when I visit, there is no shortage of those workers at those places, so evidently those lower income people can make it work. Otherwise if it was such a hardship, why work in Marin? McDonald's pretty much pays the same in most areas so why go to Marin if it is costing you more to work there?

Old 03-11-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:

I used to live in Pleasanton and that city fought off low income housing for years. It was the perfect town with nice people and low crime. Well they got sued and lost millions and put in some lower income housing, some across the street from my gym. Well now people in the gym are having things stolen out of their lockers and car break ins. Coincidence?
I remember one person here on CD said it wasn't fair that the better areas had some low crime rates and that they should be forced to have low income housing so the crime could be spread around more. That was only fair.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:59 PM

8,659 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Almost every major City in the US has apartment buildings that dedicate a small number of units to the poor/middle class, it has not negatively impacted the wealthy tenants.
Low-income housing (rental assistance) in Marin is based on a percentage of median income; but I don’t understand your comment, ‘it has not negatively impacted the wealthy tenants.’ Tenants in these buildings are not ‘wealthy’.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 03-11-2019 at 08:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland