Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2021, 05:30 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Clearly hasn't been working out on this thread....
Interesting. Begs the question: what would be the desired outcome of this thread from your perspective?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 05:34 PM

121 posts, read 41,611 times
Quote:
Wonder if this is more of a CA thing because it's happened down in LA a few times now too. Can't even walk your French Bulldog in this state anymore without the risk of being assaulted.
Would seem that way. It's really sad to see what's happening in LA right now, and the Democrats don't want the police to do their jobs properly.

Old 05-18-2021, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanRubbish View Post
Would seem that way. It's really sad to see what's happening in LA right now, and the Democrats don't want the police to do their jobs properly.
Oh? Interesting comment. What would be your definition of “properly”? ... and what do democrats feel they’ll gain by thwarting “proper” policing? (I am not a democrat.)

Old 05-18-2021, 11:42 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Interesting. Begs the question: what would be the desired outcome of this thread from your perspective?
I just started it more as a discussion thread because of some the incidents that have been happening in the area this past year or so. That's really all. Clearly from the onset you and a few other posters defensively thought it was too bash the Bay Area/CA, make it seem like crime here was unique, etc...

Old 05-19-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I just started it more as a discussion thread because of some the incidents that have been happening in the area this past year or so. That's really all. Clearly from the onset you and a few other posters defensively thought it was too bash the Bay Area/CA, make it seem like crime here was unique, etc...
So. You want to have a discussion about Bay Area crime ... except not how it fits into a larger relative picture nationally?

Old 05-19-2021, 09:43 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Or maybe just pay attention or don't read so much into posts. Nothing in my post suggested anything about a "unique crime wave" in the Bay Area.
But by discussing it in isolation you sure made it look like it, didn't you? My question is, what was your motivation for that? It seems to me that an honest discussion would at some point include a reference to the increased rate of homicides and violent crime nationwide.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
So. You want to have a discussion about Bay Area crime ... except not how it fits into a larger relative picture nationally?
That wasn't really the intention of the thread. For the most part the types of crimes in the Bay Area are not unique, some appear to be though such as the looting. Yes our crime rates will be higher and lower than some areas which sure can be discussed compared to other places. But the intention was never to try and make it out to be that these Bay Area crimes are "unique".

Old 05-19-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
That wasn't really the intention of the thread. For the most part the types of crimes in the Bay Area are not unique, some appear to be though such as the looting. Yes our crime rates will be higher and lower than some areas which sure can be discussed compared to other places. But the intention was never to try and make it out to be that these Bay Area crimes are "unique".
Once again, I never said you were trying to make that point. It was my contribution to the discussion to point out the relativity. You have just been very defensive over nothing.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
But by discussing it in isolation you sure made it look like it, didn't you? My question is, what was your motivation for that? It seems to me that an honest discussion would at some point include a reference to the increased rate of homicides and violent crime nationwide.
No I didn't, some of you are read it that way because you're defensive whenever someone mentions negative things like this about the area/state. It's just a discussion thread for local crime. I posted these stories because they stood out to me; one was a mass shooting of a party bus and the other included murders that occurred in two cities that typically don't see any or only one or two a year if that. If you want to discuss it in the larger context of the nation go ahead but don't accuse me of trying to portray these crimes in the Bay Area as unique.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Once again, I never said you were trying to make that point. It was my contribution to the discussion to point out the relativity. You have just been very defensive over nothing.
You responded to my post and quoted a specific statement so it comes off that way. Especially when you've already said it earlier in the thread. You're just backpedaling and trying to save face now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland