Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 09:11 PM

277 posts, read 884,050 times

Advertisements

You can join professional organizations, cooking clubs, bird watching clubs, book clubs, or speaking organizations. Also the website meetup helps people meet like minded people.

Take a course at a college and keep in touch with your study buddies.

Of course, it will take time to turn the evening friends into people that call you about events.

When you accomplish your goal of meeting new people, please share your experience too. I would love to learn more ways to meet nice people.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 12:49 AM

473 posts, read 1,702,591 times
There are tons of clubs in the South of Market area in SF. There is also a big swing club somewhere in Emeryville that has like 3 or more different floors of couples and other events going on. Don't remember name of this place something like power house or something. You can also check out craigslist.org and pick out the lifestyle you prefer.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:51 AM

473 posts, read 1,702,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRey View Post
It's not that easy in SF.It's not like the East Coast where its much easier to meet people.You kinda gotta go out of your way to meet people sometimes.People in SF aren't the most outgoing. YOU have to be the one that is outgoing, and spark up a conversation.
If you are too friendly or outgoing in SF people will become very suspicious of you figuring you are up to something or want their $$$$

Old 08-29-2008, 07:43 PM

233 posts, read 827,564 times
Is it THAT hard to make friends in SF? What about in Silicon Valley? I am trying to decide where to live after graduation. Thanks.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:16 PM

153 posts, read 567,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray427 View Post
If you are too friendly or outgoing in SF people will become very suspicious of you figuring you are up to something or want their $$$$
I hear that all the time. But it doesn't make any sense to me why people here in SF are far more paranoid than other people from cities that are even bigger. Sometimes the beggars, homeless and people wanted you to sign up to pay to save the environment get on my nerves, but I never flat out ignore people like so many do here.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:23 PM

153 posts, read 567,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenOlenska View Post
Is it THAT hard to make friends in SF? What about in Silicon Valley? I am trying to decide where to live after graduation. Thanks.
I can only speak for myself. It has been very difficult for me to meet people here in SF. And I am very outgoing. The behavior of the people here remind of the behavior of a dog that has been kicked around or abused and is now afraid of people. For some reason they have issues in their head about strangers. They get all scared and weird when you approach them.

San Jose/Silicon Valley is a big improvement. There are more people from the outside coming in there. They are more open to others and outsiders. More normal people. Much better.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:21 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkindred View Post
I can only speak for myself. It has been very difficult for me to meet people here in SF. And I am very outgoing. The behavior of the people here remind of the behavior of a dog that has been kicked around or abused and is now afraid of people. For some reason they have issues in their head about strangers. They get all scared and weird when you approach them.
I think that's just typical big city mentality... if you approached a stranger on the street in NYC, they'd probably clutch their purse (or whatever) and run! I'm a friendly person who will smile & talk to just about anyone, but that's probably unusual for most city dwellers. Guess you just have to meet friends through specific avenues, like others have mentioned - clubs, charities, churches/temples, etc. For instance I am a musician, and have met TONS of great people in my orchestras... just came back from rehearsal with a new group, and the ladies (it's a woman's orchestra) have been incredibly friendly and welcoming. I won't be at all surprised if a few friendships bloom as a result.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:54 PM

110 posts, read 377,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkindred View Post
The behavior of the people here remind of the behavior of a dog that has been kicked around or abused and is now afraid of people. For some reason they have issues in their head about strangers. They get all scared and weird when you approach them.
We are cool and we have managed to form a click of hip friends but it wasn't easy. We don't like fast friends and we don't like strangers. If you want to meet new people go for the squares who have only been here a few years.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,493 times
Default Meeting people in the Bay Area

I moved here for a new job and I have an Uncle in Berkeley and a friend in SF. I REALLY need some more people to do stuff with. I am a male and 55 years old. I would be happy to hang out with anyone male or female of any age. I really doubt whether I'm looking for anything more than friendship right now, just chatting and maybe snacking, etc. I am a software developer and a pianinst. I appreciate the advice on this forum. Any of you up for a lunch or going to SFMOMA or something?
Peter

Old 01-24-2013, 10:25 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Try a MeetUp group. Perfectly safe and you'll meet people with similar interests. Join Kiwanis. Volunteer for something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland