Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 02:24 PM

67 posts, read 247,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

If you don't want to be treated like a thug or criminal then don't try to dress or look like one.
Or how about - don't commit crimes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 02:45 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoaklandish View Post
Or how about - don't commit crimes?
YES! If people that dressed in that style didn't commit so many crimes then there wouldn't be that negative stigma attached to that style of dress. But this is the real world and it is. But its much easier to blame the police rather than recognizing the consequences of dressing like a thug/criminal, so that's what some people prefer to do instead of taking responsibility for their own actions.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:53 PM

186 posts, read 475,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I fully agree. If I walked around in a police uniform, people are going to think I'm a cop. Should I get all self-righteous and yell at people for assuming things when they end up thinking I am? Most hood thugs dress in a particular way (depending on where they live) and if you dress just like them, in a thug's "uniform," then don't be surprised if you suddenly fit the description of someone who has recently committed a crime. Should the cops harass every single person they see dressed like that? Of course not, and they don't harass EVERY SINGLE one. But if you dress like that and loiter in the hood, don't be surprised if it ends up happening.

Maybe the cops will calm down (or at least arguing that they should would hold some validity) when the body count disappears and the rest of the crime declines. Until then, people need to either quit putting themselves in that situation, or quit complaining about it when they have to deal with it.

I have to follow the same principal by knowing where I should and shouldn't be in certain neighborhoods, and so does anyone with any sense. Why aren't you all up in arms about a Norteno not being able to wear his red clothes in a Sureno hood? I mean by your logic, so what if he's wearing a red shirt and Niners hat while walking down 19th St?? A LOT of people do too, so shouldn't he be able to without harassment? No? How is this any different?

We should be able to wear what we want, but there are limits and boundaries. If some ignorant hillbilly wants to wear a KKK shirt with racist remarks written on it, should he be allowed to walk around in public without getting harassed? If you're going to try and make this argument you'd better look at both sides of it. People can dress like thugs if they want to; I have many friends that do. But you should know what kind of attention you're asking for if you do, and don't act defiant toward the police if you don't want them to mess with you. I can't stand power-tripping punk police, but not all of them are like that and they do have a job to do.
about the whole sureno/norteno thing, honestly umm, I don't know much about that.

and just wearing a shirt and jeans is totally different from someone wearing a shirt that is blatantly racist, they are obviously looking for someone to say something.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
If the poilce were black would he still have killed them???
We don't know, and he is the only one who would know the answer.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
YES! If people that dressed in that style didn't commit so many crimes then there wouldn't be that negative stigma attached to that style of dress. But this is the real world and it is. But its much easier to blame the police rather than recognizing the consequences of dressing like a thug/criminal, so that's what some people prefer to do instead of taking responsibility for their own actions.
I just have to laugh, its just pointless.
I did not know all thugs and criminals dressed the same.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Of course, but the droopy pants and tall tees come from prison gangs. Anyone wearing it is making a statement about an acceptance of that kind of culture.
since when?? This is news to me.
A lot of it has to do with trends!
A lot of people who were wearing white t's were wearing it because it was in style...now they're moving onto different trends now.
But I'm sure this new style of dressing is going to come from prison gangs too huh.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nella925 View Post
I just have to laugh, its just pointless.
I did not know all thugs and criminals dressed the same.
Whats pointless?

really? You didn't know that criminals/thugs have a certain style of dress they generally wear? No offense but to not realize the general style of dress for thugs/criminals is pretty clueless. Picture a criminal/thug in your head and then tell me what they're wearing, I'm really curious.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Whats pointless?

really? You didn't know that criminals/thugs have a certain style of dress they generally wear? No offense but to not realize the general style of dress for thugs/criminals is pretty clueless. Picture a criminal/thug in your head and then tell me what they're wearing, I'm really curious.
Actually I don't see what you see....
Maybe because I don't put criminals all into one box.
Maybe because I know criminals come in all shades, backgrounds and age and don't dress the same.

Thugs, maybe...but that's only because in order for someone to be considered a thug they typically have to be a minority and dress 'that' way...
a group of black guys could be standing on the corner hanging out after school and people would consider them 'thugs'
You don't even have to do anything to be considered a thug.

But let's just agree to disagree, because this is a tangent, I believe.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
since when?? This is news to me.
A lot of it has to do with trends!
A lot of people who were wearing white t's were wearing it because it was in style...now they're moving onto different trends now.
But I'm sure this new style of dressing is going to come from prison gangs too huh.
I was going to stay out of this, but I just can't: of course a lot of dress is trend, but dress does give a clue in many cases to the overall character.
Put a certain type of clothing on an individual, put him or her in a certain part of town and watch their actions for only a few minutes and we all form opinions, you do, I do, we all do..Well I don't know that you do, but if you don't you are almost not human..We all do this. The same as prejudices, we all have them, whether it is against someone because of their color, their looks or the way they dress, maybe thier attitude about life. Again, human nature, that is what it is. I would like to think I am not prejudice because I do not judge people by their color, religion, money or lack of same, education or any of those things, but I know I do have some.
And I can guarantee you if I were a cop, I would be on the lookout for a certain profile, there I used the word; profile!!!!

Do you have many friends or family members that are police officers?

Nita

Old 03-23-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Actually I don't see what you see....
Maybe because I don't put criminals all into one box.
Maybe because I know criminals come in all shades, backgrounds and age and don't dress the same.

Thugs, maybe...but that's only because in order for someone to be considered a thug they typically have to be a minority and dress 'that' way...
a group of black guys could be standing on the corner hanging out after school and people would consider them 'thugs'
You don't even have to do anything to be considered a thug.

But let's just agree to disagree, because this is a tangent, I believe.
Then what do you see exactly? You don't seem to see what most people see apparently.

I am generalizing here and not saying that all criminals or thugs come in a a standard shape or form every time. But to deny they many have a certain look/demeanor/style of dress/etc is just naive at best.

Judging people by their initial appearance is fairly natural, you do it, I do it, most people out there do it.

If a group of black guys are dressed with baggy clothes, thug style dress then yes I will assume they are thugs. If they are dressed in normal fitting khaki's and a nice polo then I'd assume something else and the same goes with any race. I don't walk around with white socks up to my knees, Dickey shorts, a wife beater, and a blue or red bandanna b/c I wouldn't want people to assume I'm some cholo gangbanger. And if I did dress like that I wouldn't be blaming society or people for looking at me like possible gangbanger/thug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland