Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 10:42 PM
E14

147 posts, read 545,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
Troll alert II . . .
I'm expressing my honest opinion. I believe people who rely on cops for their safety should, in the grand scheme of things, die before reproducing. When you have an organization seemingly dedicated to the protection of those who are too naive or weak to protect themselves, its not a tragedy when a couple get shot up. The cops are an obstruction to the genetic advancement of the human race. Once again, this is just my opinion, so please don't accuse me of trolling just because I have a different perspective than you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 11:02 PM

30,398 posts, read 52,011,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Definitely. You're aware of how the average person will react to your appearance, and you respond accordingly. That's just being sensible.
I have tattoos as well, but I made sure not to get any I couldn't cover up (like on my neck) b/c I always thought about my future.
Yeah, I was also pretty careful about the placement of them... you can't see anything if I'm in jeans and a blouse, which is typically what I wear to work every day. But one of them peeks out in a short-sleeved shirt, and I do get comments occasionally - usually just people curious to see the whole tat, but sometimes you get the snarky ones. I don't like how we're all judged by appearance, but it's a simple fact of life. I do it to others, even without meaning to, so I would be a hypocrite to say otherwise! I never hold those prejudices, though, and will quickly make an attempt to get past one's looks.

As for this particular incident, I wasn't there so I can't really comment... but no matter how or why this man was pulled over, there was NO excuse for how it ended.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:03 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,177,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E14 View Post
I'm expressing my honest opinion. I believe people who rely on cops for their safety should, in the grand scheme of things, die before reproducing. When you have an organization seemingly dedicated to the protection of those who are too naive or weak to protect themselves, its not a tragedy when a couple get shot up. The cops are an obstruction to the genetic advancement of the human race. Once again, this is just my opinion, so please don't accuse me of trolling just because I have a different perspective than you.
So in your opinion, we were a better society when we were living in caves, fended for ourselves, and had to defend our turf against wild carnivores. Living into one's thirties was a scarce exception. I'm exaggerating, but that's the kind of environment where you see real genetic advancement, and what you seem to be condoning.

It's like the past 2000 years never happened.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:30 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,648,238 times
Apparently the shooter was a suspect in a rape case:

Gunman Was Suspect in Rape, Police Say

Quote:
The Oakland police announced late Monday that they had made a tentative DNA match connecting the gunman in a deadly shootout with police officers on Saturday with an unsolved sexual assault last month.
I don't understand how he was able to kill two more officers after being cornered, though. Why were all three officers on the entry team apparently standing directly in front of the door?

Old 03-23-2009, 11:53 PM

701 posts, read 2,032,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E14 View Post
You should at least view the police and law enforcement in general as a "necessary evil" considering it's unlawful for you to bypass the system and deliver justice within your own means.

Anyways, this is a horrible happening. It's always such a bummer to hear when officers go down in the line of duty at the hands of scum bags.

Last edited by Beat02; 03-24-2009 at 01:18 AM..

Old 03-24-2009, 01:08 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,294,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Apparently the shooter was a suspect in a rape case:

Gunman Was Suspect in Rape, Police Say

I don't understand how he was able to kill two more officers after being cornered, though. Why were all three officers on the entry team apparently standing directly in front of the door?
Channel 5 gained access to the apartment -- Mixon was in a room behind the bathroom, which meant the approaching police were in essentially a tunnel the bathroom created -- and with the AK-47 Mixon had, he sprayed out bullets all over through the door and walls... and managed to hit three cops, killing two of them.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:38 AM

407 posts, read 1,075,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Exactly.

One incident I will never forget. I was relaxing at home playing a video game in a T-shirt and shorts when my mother sends me to the corner store to buy some toilet paper. The weather being a tad breezy, I throw on a hoodie and I'm out. Didn't bother with a belt because I was just making a quick run (even left the video game paused). I get to the store only to realize I'm a few dollars short. Irritated, I run back home (which was only a half a block away from the store), got more money, and I'm out again.

Right before I cross the street to get to the store parking lot, I am greeted with a fast approaching squad car (thought they were going to hit me so I jumped out of the way a little), a bright light, guns drawn, and a forceful "get your f'in hands up boy". Shortly after that, "get the fk on the ground! get on the ground!" Shocked and confused (considering this was my first ever experience with the law and that the commands came at me almost simultaneously), I ask what's goin' on with my hands partially raised, not sure whether to stand there or get on the ground.

So I'm rushed like a quarterback by a couple of surfer-looking 50's (who looked not too much unlike some of the OPD four), slammed against the hood of the car and cuffed. In the meantime I'm still trying to find out what's going on, scared as hell, when I was told to shut up by one of them, followed by, "Yer momma didn't whoop your a$$ enough that's what's goin' on!" Mind you I'm an A/B student with no criminal record at the time. I told them that I was just on my way to the store to run an errand for my mother. They vigorously emptied my pockets, shoes, socks, sure as death they were gonna find something. After scrupulously analyzing the $6 I had for the toilet paper (as if they were gonna magically transform it into $600 in drug money), they left me prostrate on the hood for at least another 15 minutes.

As I was let go, the pigs didn't even have the professional courtesy to apologize. Probably too embarrassed to apologize to a young black male they just knew was up to no good. What do I get instead? "Well......you should have been a bit more cooperative with us. You're runnin' around in this rathole of a neighborhood - you need to be more careful and cooperative."

Are you freakin' kidding me!? So not only do I get no apology, but it was my fault I got jacked up by those pigs in the first place, and now I live in a rathole where simple errands at the convenience store are no longer allowed. I could have easily been just another piece of inner-city black collateral damage "justifiably" gunned down by two "heroes" who "risk it all" to protect me that night. Gimme a break.
Nice story. Wah!

Old 03-24-2009, 11:14 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,130,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Well, at least it's obvious you caught on to what I was getting at. There are plenty of criminals out there, and plenty of crimes committed, by all types of people. Just so happens that the random minority on the street dressed in a track suit chilling in front of the house with his dudes tends to be the most accessible to cops on the beat, which is why they target him. Doesn't make him any more criminally-inclined, though, than your average white fella in suburbia who doesn't dress like his inner-city counterpart, and who can probably count on never being harassed by any cop.

I don't see too many people in the hood wearing track jackets and I'm in these areas a lot (I still have friends that live near Sunnydale / Fillmore). You're right in saying that there are plenty of criminals in all types of clothes, but its also well known that a great portion of violent crimes in "the hood" are committed by people who dress a certain way. I'm not some white guy looking into the ghetto from my suburban McMansion. I've lived in some bad parts of the city for a good portion of my teenage life and I know how things work (right down to busting someone in the face when they don't act right). If you dress like a thug, you get treated like a thug. I've had my fair share of police attention when I was younger and all of it was well deserved. Do police profile? Yes they do and unfortunately its a necessity of the job. We are all guilty of prejudice (you’ve done it yourself several times in this thread), it’s a human condition. You are asking police to not be human.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:21 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,792 posts, read 4,161,775 times
The ethnic cleansing continues...

Old 03-24-2009, 11:23 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,247,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
To play Devil's advocate for a second, if he was using a cell phone while driving (without a hands-free device), that would be reason enough to pull someone over... now that it's a law in CA, they can - but rarely do - enforce that. Just sayin'.
Since it's rarely enforced, it might very well be the case then that the officer just decided to selectively enforce it against him, rather than some soccer mom on her phone cruising down Skyline Blvd on the way home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland