Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:03 PM

6 posts, read 26,256 times

Advertisements

My husband has an opportunity to be transferred to Oakland for work. Currently we live in Nashville, TN, so this will be a big move. We have three small children (6, 5, and 2), and I would like to move to a family friendly area within about an hour and a half from Oakland. He'll only have to commute once a week, so a longer commute is okay. We've talked to several people and they have mentioned Windsor and Santa Rosa. I'm concerned about gangs, crime, school systems, etc. Can anyone give me a few great family friendly areas to raise children? We should be able to afford a house around $675 or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 07:11 AM

138 posts, read 510,975 times
I grew up in Windsor and back then it was a couple of roads and the local mexican market. Now there is a Walmart and movie theater,amazing. Anyway my mom still lives in Santa Rosa and I think that both of these towns are nice for families and with the economy the way it is you should be able to get a decent home for the price(a couple of years ago you would have been amazed at what little you could have gotten.)The commute though to Oakland is rough.I had a college friend who commuted from Rohnert park which is one town closer to the "Bay" and it took her close to 1 1/2 hours(on a good day). So yes I would highly recommend these towns but I would really think about what this distance would mean for your husband.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:25 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Yeah distance is a little too far... you'll probably be fine on the way IN... on the way out you are going to be screwed! <--as far as traffic goes... closest I'd live and still commute in would probably be san rafael. If you are north of Marin county though...commuting up there from city to city is no prob, once u get into the greater SF/Oakland area is when u have problems in rush hour.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:17 PM

4 posts, read 19,968 times
NE santa rosa (rincon valley) has great schools. It is really pretty and family friendly. Good luck!

Old 04-03-2009, 03:39 PM

516 posts, read 1,338,627 times
Have you looked at Petaluma? Its closer to Oakland than Windsor or SR and extremely family friendly.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:36 PM

6 posts, read 26,256 times
Thanks for the input. Does anyone out there know anything about Petaluma? I've had a real estate agent push me towards Petaluma, and another steered us away. Any particular reasoning for either suggestion? Any info is appreciated!

Old 04-29-2009, 07:41 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishmommy View Post
Thanks for the input. Does anyone out there know anything about Petaluma? I've had a real estate agent push me towards Petaluma, and another steered us away. Any particular reasoning for either suggestion? Any info is appreciated!
I live in Petaluma, I am not a realtor, but I know a bunch of them...if you had a realtor steer you away, i'm going to guess it's because they don't know P-town very well...a Petaluma realtor is the only way to go, as there are so many here, and they all live here too...
I can give you a recommendation if you'd like.
And I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have about petaluma and
Sonoma County in general...

It is great for families, schools overall are great, you can get to Oakland in the time frame you mentioned, and it's not as far from SF as Santa Rosa and Windsor...(also not as hot)...

Old 04-30-2009, 06:58 AM

138 posts, read 510,975 times
Petaluma is even more expensive (housing prices wise) than Sonoma County.At one point I know it was one of the most expensive places to live in the US. It really is a great family town but does not have family friendly prices!

Old 04-30-2009, 08:32 AM

516 posts, read 1,338,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilover70 View Post
Petaluma is even more expensive (housing prices wise) than Sonoma County.At one point I know it was one of the most expensive places to live in the US. It really is a great family town but does not have family friendly prices!
Sorry but you are on crackrock. First of all Petaluma is in Sonoma County, so can't be more expensive than Sonoma County. Its prices are about the same as the surrounding communities (Sonoma, Napa, Novato). I wonder if you are thinking of Marin County when you say "its one of the most expensive places to live in the US"?

Petaluma is a really cool town composed primarily of families. Its probably a bit more expensive to buy in Petaluma than in Santa Rosa, but then it depends on neighborhood and such. Your best bet is to go online and start looking at places. Westside Petaluma costs more than Eastside because it has more historical neighborhoods. You can start to get a sense of this by looking at listings. Try Petaluma Real Estate, Sonoma County Homes for Sale California CA MLS for a start (not my fave realestate place in town but they have the best website).

Old 04-30-2009, 07:34 PM

5 posts, read 22,221 times
If you move to Santa Rosa, I would not put my kids in a public school here. Lots has changed in the years we have been here. There is a large contingency of English as a second language in the schools. Most people I know have taken their kids out of the schools and put them in private ones, even though these are not affluent families. Graffiti is a growing problem here. If I were moving to this area today, Santa Rosa, much as I love the Sonoma County area, would not be my choice. And I doubt if you are going to find a rental home for the amt. you indicate, even with the housing market as it is. Sorry to sound discouraging, but you could be in for a rude awakening. With a commute to Oakland, I would try to find something closer...Novato? Mill Valley? Good luck - hope everything works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland