Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:21 AM

3 posts, read 15,020 times

Advertisements

My wife has just got a job in Palo Alto for three years so we will be moving over from England in about 3 months time. We will need to rent a 4 bedroom house during this time (we have 2 small children) and are looking in the $3500 pcm range.

I know Palo Alto itself is very pricey so where are the best places within about a half hours drive to live? I think I'd prefer to live to the north of PA so as to be closer to SF and the beaches of Half Moon Bay.

I won't be able to work (bummer!) as I'll be on my wife's working visa so want somewhere with lots to do/see with the kids during the day/s. Would you ever drive up to SF or would we want to be near a Caltrain stop? Redwood City seems well placed but is it good for schools/things to do?

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 01:28 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,409,113 times
1. Belmont
2. San Carlos
3. Good neighborhoods in RWC (be careful about selection)
4. Good neighborhoods in San Mateo
5. in PA itself, there are portions with cheaper rent - near Alma, near Mt. View border.
6. Strangely, Ladera, in tony Portola Valley, will occasionally have a place with rent on the cheap side.
7. The unincorporated pocket, between Menlo Park, Atherton and Woodside, along Alameda De Las Pulgas.

Avoid East Palo Alto and Menlo Park's eastern neighborhoods. They are ghettos. In the case of the former, unscrupulous landlords will at times advertise as being in "Palo Alto." In the case of East Menlo Park there's no false advertising involved, one simply has to be on one's toes.

If you are willing to be even further north, rents decrease substantially north of Millbrae. Specifically - South SF, San Bruno, Daly City and Pacifica. Watch, however, for rough pockets (not as bad as EPA and parts of RWC but not comfortable places either). Generally, West of El Camino is better than east of it. In the case of Pacifica further south is better (but commute starts to become more painful).

Old 04-10-2009, 01:37 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,159,353 times
Agree with the above and would also recommend Mountain View, which has a more cosmopolitan flavor and a lot of charm.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:58 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,726,986 times
I agree with Belmont, San Carlos and the western half of Redwood City. All nice, safe middle to upper middle class towns. The schools are good in San Carlos. There are Caltrain stations at all these places. Caltrain would be a better option when visiting San Francisco. Public transit in SF is good, while driving there and finding parking is difficult.

As for "things to do", this is suburbia, but there are restaurants, parks, libraries, shopping, etc. Suburban living isn't souless and suffocating as some people think .

Old 12-31-2009, 03:36 PM

13 posts, read 52,814 times
Hi everybody,

I have the same question. I will be moving into PA early 2010. What is the good place to live in PA? I would want to bike to work, and I will work at the PARC on Coyote Hill Rd. I have found some places on Arastradero Rd (Arastradero West?) that sound OK, but I'd like some advice from folks in the area.
In addition, I would not want to be far from at least a reasonable number of restaurants, shops, and markets. I am hoping to NOT even own a car :-) if possible. (Is it possible?)

I am single and would like something under 1.5k/mo; so 1Br/ba. Thanks.

Last edited by n080di; 12-31-2009 at 03:54 PM..

Old 12-31-2009, 04:08 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,726,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n080di View Post
Hi everybody,

I have the same question. I will be moving into PA early 2010. What is the good place to live in PA? I would want to bike to work, and I will work at the PARC on Coyote Hill Rd. I have found some places on Arastradero Rd (Arastradero West?) that sound OK, but I'd like some advice from folks in the area.
In addition, I would not want to be far from at least a reasonable number of restaurants, shops, and markets. I am hoping to NOT even own a car :-) if possible. (Is it possible?)

I am single and would like something under 1.5k/mo; so 1Br/ba. Thanks.
There are several nice apartment buildings on Arastradero between El Camino Real (Hwy 82) and Foothill Expressway. El Camino is the main north/south route through Palo Alto and it's all commercial/retail, lined with restaurants, stores, etc. I think you will need a car however. Things are kind of spread out. Here's one of the apts. on Arastradero: Property Info | Prometheus

Old 12-31-2009, 06:27 PM

802 posts, read 2,265,581 times
Are you planning to bike to work? If not and you are planning to take the bus, I suggest living near a stop close to the Marguerite line which takes you into the Research park.

Marguerite Shuttle : Route Map & Schedules

Alternatively, you can live on El Camino, take the VTA 22 (which runs very often) and transfer to the Marguerite or one of the VTA 10x Express buses, but from what I've heard from colleagues who did this, they had to wait a while at the transfer points.

Otherwise, you'll probably want a car to get to work.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwstrnkid View Post
Are you planning to bike to work? If not and you are planning to take the bus, I suggest living near a stop close to the Marguerite line which takes you into the Research park.

Marguerite Shuttle : Route Map & Schedules

Alternatively, you can live on El Camino, take the VTA 22 (which runs very often) and transfer to the Marguerite or one of the VTA 10x Express buses, but from what I've heard from colleagues who did this, they had to wait a while at the transfer points.

Otherwise, you'll probably want a car to get to work.
Yes I was planning on biking to work. Is that impractical? Is PA bike-friendly?

I have heard that the buses are frequently late (or early!) and one ends up waiting or missing them which can be a pain when getting to work in the morning.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:54 PM

Another question: Does anybody know Arastradero West apartments (724 Arastradero Road)?

They seem perfectly close to Coyote Hill Rd. (bikably close?) and I can't find reviews that are too negative online, although it's hard to translate between a slightly negative review and the reality of the place.

Any suggestions, comments, or info would be of immense help.

Thank you all for taking the time to provide this great resource.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:48 PM

802 posts, read 2,265,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n080di View Post
Yes I was planning on biking to work. Is that impractical? Is PA bike-friendly?

I have heard that the buses are frequently late (or early!) and one ends up waiting or missing them which can be a pain when getting to work in the morning.
Actually, biking is a perfectly fine option. Arastradero has a wide shoulder for bikes from El Camino to Foothill Expressway and has a separate bike path off the roadway from Foothill to Hillview. You will like biking to work. Also note that VTA buses have bike racks on the front so you could also take the 22, stop off around Arastradero and El Camino and bike the rest of the way into the office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland