Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 02:44 PM

8 posts, read 30,331 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving my family from the Bay Area to the Atlanta area. We have a large family and are tired of working hard only to feel as if we are still not getting anywhere. I would appreciate insight from anyone who has lived there. My husband is Filipino and I am African American. Will our family be accepted? Is there still a lot of racism out there? What areas do you recommend we consider for good schools and reasonable housing prices? We are hoping to get a 5 bedroom for $300k or less. All advice and opinions are welcome. Is Atlanta a good option for Bay Area natives looking for a better quality of life? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 02:49 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
Try the Atlanta forum.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,126 times
i lived in atlanta a bit and i could not stand the lack of public transportation. the city is a sprawling nightmare of sprawl that i wish never to impose on any native san franciscan. that said, if you're accustomed to driving, then it may not be too bad of an adjustment for you.

regarding racism, atlanta proper is fairly progressive and you would not have a problem. i'll leave it at that.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:51 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,254,100 times
5 bedrooms for 300k or less will put you into high crime neighborhoods like Oakland, or Richmond if you don't want to cross two bridges to get to S.F. Both are cities you definitely want to stay out of.

Further out there is Vallejo, but it's basically a high crime, gang infested area as well for one half of the city.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:57 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
5 bedrooms for 300k or less will put you into high crime neighborhoods like Oakland, or Richmond if you don't want to cross two bridges to get to S.F. Both are cities you definitely want to stay out of.

Further out there is Vallejo, but it's basically a high crime, gang infested area as well for one half of the city.
The OP is looking to move away from the Bay Area to Atlanta, not the other way around. There are parts of Oakland which are quite nice and very desirable, but they might be too expensive for the OP.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:12 PM

282 posts, read 382,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
The OP is looking to move away from the Bay Area to Atlanta, not the other way around. There are parts of Oakland which are quite nice and very desirable, but they might be too expensive for the OP.
Mr Trashtastic is a troll with a cracker jack box PhD promoted so that naive board members can feel like his opinion means something, when in reality it means less than his existence which is really low already.

Now about Atlanta, if you've never been there it will be a culture shock for you and your husband, the city is majority Black and things are very different in terms of the social scene. There is not much other than Black or White people a few Mexicans/Central Americans now with the housing construction boom that has taken place since the mid 90s. Outside of the downtown area, the city seems very rural and heavily covered by tree's. My favorite area of Atlanta is the Midtown & 5 points area.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:50 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,254,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
If you can find a home in the Oakland area that isn't next to killing fields for 300k, by all means, make a recommendation.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:18 PM

9 posts, read 20,699 times
Default Move from Bay Area to Metro Atlanta

Quote:
Now about Atlanta, if you've never been there it will be a culture shock for you and your husband, the city is majority Black and things are very different in terms of the social scene. There is not much other than Black or White people a few Mexicans/Central Americans now with the housing construction boom that has taken place since the mid 90s. Outside of the downtown area, the city seems very rural and heavily covered by tree's. My favorite area of Atlanta is the Midtown & 5 points area.
Are you serious! How sickening is that? What kind of nut place is this?

Old 05-30-2010, 01:18 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,010,335 times
I guess that depends on where you live. Atlanta has MARTA with 4 lines covering 48 miles, so if you live near a station, you will be OK to take the public transporation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. macaque View Post
i lived in atlanta a bit and i could not stand the lack of public transportation. the city is a sprawling nightmare of sprawl that i wish never to impose on any native san franciscan. that said, if you're accustomed to driving, then it may not be too bad of an adjustment for you.

regarding racism, atlanta proper is fairly progressive and you would not have a problem. i'll leave it at that.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:09 AM

282 posts, read 382,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastChick View Post
Are you serious! How sickening is that? What kind of nut place is this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland