Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 11:40 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
The tax money is the biggest factor in legalizing marijuana. Why drive it underground when you can tax it? Prohibition ended with the Great Depression and some would say it also saved it. Another real positive is by decriminalizing it there are far fewer people tying up the court systems!
Even the advocates for legalizing it say it will only bring in $1.4 billion to the state annually. That's chicken feed when you've got a $20 billion deficit to close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 11:42 AM

282 posts, read 382,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Even the advocates for legalizing it say it will only bring in $1.4 billion to the state annually. That's chicken feed when you've got a $20 billion deficit to close.
OK so lets do nothing since it's only 1.4 billion annually. What do you suggest? Raise taxes again? Yeah that works. 1.4 billion is a lot of money. Nothing is going to cure the budget problems in one year. NOTHING

Old 06-07-2010, 11:42 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
There are other ways to relieve anxiety than taking a drug (legal or illegal).

How about exercise?

How about meditation?

25 Ways to Relieve Anxiety*|*How to Stop Anxiety & End Panic Attacks
Your post only makes sense to people who aren't lazy, and motivated to actually improve their lives. I feel it's wasted though, in this case.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakland Uptown View Post
OK so lets do nothing since it's only 1.4 billion annually. What do you suggest? Raise taxes again? Yeah that works. 1.4 billion is a lot of money. Nothing is going to cure the budget problems in one year. NOTHING
Surprise, surprise, a guy who is short selling his home is advocating the legalization of of a recreational drug. Not surprising at all. Yes run away from your problems through recreational drug use, not by working hard to turn your situation around.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
Funny how cigarette usage has been cut in half without ever once using police force or any prohibition whatsoever. All it took was education and taxes to reduce overall usage.
Actually, that's not really true. There are many 'soft' forms of prohibition that have contributed to reducing cigarette consumption.

Banning cigarette smoking from bars, restaurants and other public buildings has certainly contributed to reduced usaged.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
It will take the U.S. another life time to legalize marijuana. Just consider all the screwed up conservative states [mainly in the Midwest and South] who still believe the world is 6000 yrs old yet smoke tobacco\ drink beer all day and eat greasy fried foods. Those people are in a time warp. What makes California great is that people, in general, think things through without letting old-fashioned ignorance guide our decisions!
Point well taken about the beer/cigarettes/greasy food argument. That said, what makes California not so great is it often embraces an "Anything goes, everything will work out ok" kind of wishful thinking even when the evidence is overwhelming that a certain respect for limits is needed. The state's chronic budget deficit comes to mind (and this is not a new problem). Californians can be an awfully stubborn lot too. We seem to notice it in other more conservative states, but not in our own.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:23 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
The fact that you watch "Fox News" to get your viewpoint on the politics of the state shows how little you know.

Seriously, sign up for a summer course at your community college, you might learn something (when you're not high from weed).
You lose any credibility when you try to defy reality. And reality is that you live in a state that votes Democratic unless the Republican happens to be more Democratic than Republican. When you see some sort of "silver lining" that California voted down gay marriage then your desperation comes through. You will never be happy living in California if you can conceivably believe that the state is actually "conservative." Accept the fact that your way of reasoning is rejected by most people. How are you going to handle reality when marijuana is legalized? Did you go into a deep depression when it was allowed for medicinal use? That was 14 years ago. We will never go back to the days you dream for. You look silly.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:27 PM

282 posts, read 382,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Surprise, surprise, a guy who is short selling his home is advocating the legalization of of a recreational drug. Not surprising at all. Yes run away from your problems through recreational drug use, not by working hard to turn your situation around.
LOL what does me short selling a property have to do with anything? Nice try.

Run away from my problems? Are you projecting something here? Being that you spend every day of your miserable life trolling a forum of an area you've never been to. Seems to me like you're the one running from some problems. Perhaps YOU need to smoke then again you probably do being that you're playing a character and don't even believe half the garbage you type. I decided to stop ignoring you being that it's pointless since you're always quoted anyways, so expect one more person to embarrass and expose you.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Did you go into a deep depression when it was allowed for medicinal use? That was 14 years ago. We will never go back to the days you dream for. You look silly.
Why would I go into a depression about that? I actually confront my problems and don't shy away from reality when something unfortunate happens in my life. Recreational drug use has no allure for me.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakland Uptown View Post
LOL what does me short selling a property have to do with anything? Nice try.

Run away from my problems? Are you projecting something here? Being that you spend every day of your miserable life trolling a forum of an area you've never been to. Seems to me like you're the one running from some problems. Perhaps YOU need to smoke then again you probably do being that you're playing a character and don't even believe half the garbage you type. I decided to stop ignoring you being that it's pointless since you're always quoted anyways, so expect one more person to embarrass and expose you.
Stop running away from your problems. Altering your perception and reality is cowardly. It's akin to putting your head in the sand when you see something spooky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland