Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 11:13 AM

705 posts, read 1,667,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterpaws75 View Post
Chrisnyce and Calisnuffy, thanks for your suggest of checking it out and deciding after. I have actually visited the area but I don't think I can really know how life will pan out until I'ved lived there. Further, I am not comparing it with NY as NY is on its own level. I'm not a native NY-er, but I've lived in many major cities around the world (London, Shanghai, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, etc etc) and it's mostly what I know.

However, I've also lived in Houston - slower, not pretty at all and arts offering is limited. Even though friends sustained me, I had to get out after a few years. The Bay Area / SV is greatly different from Houston altogether, and certainly more up my alley with its range of intellectual / artsy / outdoor offerings I just need to know what and how to prepare for, coming from a city like NY.

Mysticaltyger, thanks for the tip on flakiness and smile. That's too funny, but I guess it does go with the more laid back culture of Cali?? I may scare folks away being high energy, always multi-tasking and needing stimulation, LOL!

This is one of the hardest decisions I'll have to make. Sigh!
I think you would have no problem finding like minded, high drive , type a personalities to mingle with. It's a tough move, but taking risks can pay off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 09:13 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,904,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
people in California can be flaky about keeping appointments, especially if a group is involved. She tells me that's a big taboo in New York, but it isn't so much in CA, as long as you don't do it all the time.
We're fashionably late. Out here, we chill.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:54 PM

3 posts, read 7,513 times
I live in Mtn.View and work in SJ. The Pennisula is VERY suburban. It would be a wonderful place to raise kids, but as a single person it is horrible. I am a teacher so don't have any opportunities to be around a mix of people unfortunately. Being single and in my mid 30s all of my single friends live in SF and love it. They are always doing fun activities during the week, but having to be at work at 7:30 am I can't drive up to join them. I do spend every weekend in SF and love it. I am an artist so that is very hard living here as well since there is no art scene. It is very lonely living in the South Bay as a single person. I highly recommend, if possible, moving as close to SF if not into SF as you can. Good luck.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:37 PM

I am 30 something and single living in Mtn.View and working in Cupertino. Trust me you will be bored out of your mind. I am!!!!!! I am a city girl too and an artist and yeah....NOT the best place. Live in SF if possible and commute because this area can be VERY boring if you prefer the city life.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:42 PM

Whatever decision you make will be just fine. I do like downtown Mtn. View. I think downtown PA has much more of a "city" feeling, but coming from NY I think you would like SF the best. The train system here is great so you can commute easily.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:43 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,972,007 times
Trust your gut. Don't force a decision. The Bay Area is not for everyone.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:53 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,398,018 times
Yeah the Penisula is really suburban, as was said before. The west part of Silicon Valley (Sunnyvale, Los Altos, Mountain View, Cupertino, Saratoga) isn't much better. Good place to raise a family, not so good as a single person.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:17 AM

10,996 posts, read 20,660,908 times
I would never say that the business climate is 'laid back'. It isn't the frenetic behavior you see in NYC but let me assure you the expectation of sustained superior performance & creativity permeates the culture.

Live close to work for now because you will not know what social activities catch your interest.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:54 PM

9,889 posts, read 11,848,411 times
One thing you need to consider is the difference in cost of Living in the Silicon Valley of California. It will cost you about 50% more to live there than New York City for the same standard of living.

If you are earning about $80,000, then you will be about on an equal standard of living at $121,000. If you are earning much more you will be taking a cut in pay to move to the Silicon Valley. If you are currently earning less than $75,000 you will be getting a rise in pay, living at the same standard of living you are now living under.

Not taking this into consideration, is the one thing that really shocks people when they move there.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:32 PM

13,560 posts, read 10,423,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylyne View Post
Whatever decision you make will be just fine. I do like downtown Mtn. View. I think downtown PA has much more of a "city" feeling, but coming from NY I think you would like SF the best. The train system here is great so you can commute easily.
I don't think the train system, whether CalTrain or BART, has as much frequency of service as you might expect in NYC, so you will have to scale your expectations accordingly (I've lived in NYC, Washington DC so I do have a basis for comparison). You'll likely do more driving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose