Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 07:28 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingwest236 View Post
Thanks, I began to realize that maybe San Fran was better. Also I haven't visited the area yet.
Check out what's between downtown SJ and the Golden Gate. That will give you a very good scope of the spectrum of possibilities. If your stay is longer, make a foray to the East Bay as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 03:14 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Check out what's between downtown SJ and the Golden Gate. That will give you a very good scope of the spectrum of possibilities. If your stay is longer, make a foray to the East Bay as well.
I'm thinking that you meant to say "downtown S.F." ?
Just checking.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:39 PM

239 posts, read 617,958 times
San Jose is ridiculous. Overcrowded and overpriced. If you can afford it I would recommend looking to Willow Glen to rent a house or apt, really nice area, lots of stuff within walking distance and Google and Ebay are short distance away.
I hate to think Balitmores crime is worse than the Bay Area, I loved The Wire tho
Dont worry about earthquakes. You wont even feel most of them. Its really rare that we get a quake even big enough to knock stuff over.
You are in for a HUGE culture shock my friend.....I have to be honest I was born here, raised here and briefly left to live in other states. Only reason I came back was my family is here. I really dont like CA. Not all, but alot of people here are very self absorbed. Seems like about 50% of people here dont speak a word of english and I hope to God you're not a smoker....u will get evil looks and verbally assaulted.
Sorry, I know Im gonna get blasted by alot of people for this post, but Im just over it. Looking to move out of state as soon as my lease is up on my $1100 studio apartment in a ****ty section of SJ.
Honestly tho, I hope its everything you are looking for. I know how hard it is to move away from your friends and family. I hope you really enjoy it

Old 02-06-2012, 06:51 PM

160 posts, read 454,527 times
Last real earthquake: 1989
My 20 something friends love san francisco. It's really fast, a car is a liability, and there is always something crazy cool hip happening. There are tech jobs in SF - they just dropped the payroll tax to keep twitter in SF - and seems as tho companies are gearing up.
My next SF event is Bay to Breakers in May :-)

Old 02-07-2012, 12:24 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Another question: How useful is the CalTrain and VTA and do any of you use them?
This is not a mass transit friendly area (unfortunately). CalTrain is good if you want to go to San Francisco but don't want to drive. VTA can be good but your workplace has to be in the right spot and you have to plan to live in a transit friendly spot to make it work (not always easy).

I live in downtown SJ and use the VTA light rail to go to the airport and it's great for that, but that's about it.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:33 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Moving to San Jose from Baltimore, where I was born and raised. I hate the weather here and crime is an issue, so I've decided to move to San Jose. I have a few questions:
#1 How bad are the earthquakes, and how frequent are they? The only one I've felt is a 5.8 which we had last august. To be honest I'm terrified of them.
#2 How hard is it to find an apartment/condo, and how much do they cost?
#3 What recreational activities are there?

Thanks!
A word on the earthquakes....Seismologists say that both the Bay Area and SoCal are overdue for large earthquakes (larger than the 7.1 Loma Prieta quake in '89). As you may have realized, the whole Pacific Basin has had large earthquakes in recent years (Japan, Chile, New Zealand, and another 6.8 quake in the Philippines a few days ago). At some point we're going to get hit hard.

California Is Due for a Katrina-Style Disaster | Wired Science | Wired.com

Old 02-08-2012, 01:15 PM

28 posts, read 95,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Well, SJ is a bit less crowded but not much less expensive. I wouldn't use favorable cost of living as a reason to move here. If you're looking for a cheaper tech-heavy area, I would recommend looking into Seattle, Austin or RTP.
"I would recommend looking into Seattle, Austin or RTP"
-- what is "RTP"?

Old 02-08-2012, 01:37 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
I think the poster was referring to the Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.

Portland also has a vibrant technology base but employment is very competitive.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:44 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvoben View Post
"I would recommend looking into Seattle, Austin or RTP"
-- what is "RTP"?
Underground Techspeak! Must execute secret handshake to enter.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:00 PM

28 posts, read 95,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I think the poster was referring to the Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.

Portland also has a vibrant technology base but employment is very competitive.

What about employment situation in RTP area? Are there many IT job opportunities compared to Austin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose