Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2017, 08:31 PM

115 posts, read 337,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
They don't buy them...they rent them. Often times packed in two to a room.

More people = more demand for housing. How is it you cannot seem to grasp a simple concept?
How does that have anything to do with H1B salaries? Do you mean that there are more people overall in the Bay Area because of low H1B salaries? That's a stretch....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 08:42 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,229,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetrb View Post
How does that have anything to do with H1B salaries? Do you mean that there are more people overall in the Bay Area because of low H1B salaries? That's a stretch....
Of course there are. First of all, all the H1-Bs...hundreds of thousands of them.

Then, their family members. More thousands, hundreds of thousands, etc.

But that isn't even really the primary point of my post.

The main point I was trying to make is simply how it contributes to the housing bubble. The excess profits generated by H1-Bs flows through these companies, creating vast riches, and enabling speculation, cash sales, etc.

It's what you could call an inflationary factor, this flood of funny-money.

It is not sustainable, like any other windfall or boom experienced during periods of growth. So when it ends or collapses, that will greatly effect the market.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not making a statement about whether H1-B workers are detrimental to the economy. I could write a book on that, but the point of the post I made was just that its a causal factor in the trends we have seen in the housing market (increasing inaffordability, scarcity, etc).

Old 04-17-2017, 07:57 PM

318 posts, read 337,936 times
NEW: Trump to sign order tomorrow echoing "Buy American, Hire American" campaign line calling for review of H1B visa program & trade deals -CNBC 4/17/17

------
Here we go, seems like he's back and ready for action this time

Old 04-20-2017, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,195 times
Out of all the H1B's in bay area atleast half do not own homes n live on rent. Out of remaining that own home most of them work for Big companies like Google, FB, Apple, Tesla, Cisco, Intel and will in all likelihood not be affected by H1B EO by Trump since they have studied here in US from good schools like Berkeley, Stanford, USC, UCLA etc. However I still feel if H1B has an impact there will be some impact on bay area housing market but definitely not 50%. However with kind of technology trend happening in the world( autonomous cars, connected cities etc) I feel Bay Area might only get crowded and more expensive.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:49 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,436,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rav77 View Post
Out of all the H1B's in bay area atleast half do not own homes n live on rent. Out of remaining that own home most of them work for Big companies like Google, FB, Apple, Tesla, Cisco, Intel and will in all likelihood not be affected by H1B EO by Trump since they have studied here in US from good schools like Berkeley, Stanford, USC, UCLA etc. However I still feel if H1B has an impact there will be some impact on bay area housing market but definitely not 50%. However with kind of technology trend happening in the world( autonomous cars, connected cities etc) I feel Bay Area might only get crowded and more expensive.
you're kidding right? do you really think that USC is a good school? i mean, they're good at football but it seems like you're talking about academics.

as for renting vs owning, there is a correlation between the two. as rents go up, people buy homes to rent them out if it's cash flow positive until there is an equilibrium, etc. if renters leave, rents go down, people who own the homes go upside down (owe more than they can bring in via rent) so they sell causing home prices to fall, etc.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:24 AM

169 posts, read 232,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonview View Post
NEW: Trump to sign order tomorrow echoing "Buy American, Hire American" campaign line calling for review of H1B visa program & trade deals -CNBC 4/17/17

------
Here we go, seems like he's back and ready for action this time
Bay Area home prices near all-time high, sales rose in March

Santa Clara price jumps 11.5% in March... well over Trump was elected.
Overbid by $200K is average... and even by 1 Millions over asking price.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:51 PM

1,156 posts, read 987,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
you're kidding right? do you really think that USC is a good school? i mean, they're good at football but it seems like you're talking about academics.

as for renting vs owning, there is a correlation between the two. as rents go up, people buy homes to rent them out if it's cash flow positive until there is an equilibrium, etc. if renters leave, rents go down, people who own the homes go upside down (owe more than they can bring in via rent) so they sell causing home prices to fall, etc.
Sure it is, right up there with UCLA and Berkeley, and better on many fronts for finance or accounting. He said good, not top 10 elite universities, which they are not. Let me guess you couldn't get into any of the schools mentioned so you have to throw out the football theory?

Old 04-28-2017, 02:13 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,726,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rav77 View Post
It's too bad they never invented the telephone for long distance business communication or jet aircraft so company employees can visit different locations

Old 04-28-2017, 04:16 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,289,513 times
the OP didn't get the memo that politics in the US or any other country is controlled by the ruling elites.

in case OP is not updated, Trump just broke his promise to withdraw from NAFTA.

what else will he break? H1B visa? Wall?

Old 04-28-2017, 04:29 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,436,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
Sure it is, right up there with UCLA and Berkeley, and better on many fronts for finance or accounting. He said good, not top 10 elite universities, which they are not. Let me guess you couldn't get into any of the schools mentioned so you have to throw out the football theory?
you really think USC is right up there with UCLA and Berkeley? lol.

and better on many fronts? finance? accounting? hmm.

i live in LA for 14 years. i'd say USC is at best at the level of SCU (Santa Clara University). I wouldn't consider them a top 25 school. Maybe a top 50 school at best. Meanwhile I would consider UCLA a top 25 and Berkeley (and Stanfurd) a top 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose