Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2010, 10:54 AM

293 posts, read 971,328 times

Advertisements

In my experience, gangs and crime don't have a major impact on life in Santa Fe (so far - hope I didn't jinx myself). I haven't changed the way I lead my life, nor where I shop or travel. I don't regularly visit "gang" areas or drive through certain sections of town at night, but that isn't a hardship - there aren't any stores there that I need to go to anyway.

I will say that I've been surprised at the number of break ins and suspicious vehicles reported in my neighborhood. As a result, I am in the process of putting up a gate on my front driveway for more security when we're not in town.

So... I don't know... we certainly have gangs, and crime, but perhaps no more than any other city this size in the SW?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 04:47 PM

11 posts, read 31,736 times
Default Property Crime in Santa Fe?

For a city its size, Santa Fe seems to have a lot of property crime. The 2011 rate is down from 2010, but it still seems high to me.

Would some SF residents care to comment? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:50 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times
It's up again this year according to the New Mexican, this article was from just a few days ago. Anytime I hear about crime rates in New Mexico drugs are usually strongly correlated. We have a very high rate of drug and alcohol abuse here.

Home burglaries on rise again in Santa Fe - The Santa Fe New Mexican

Old 05-29-2012, 02:41 PM

55 posts, read 105,035 times
Yes, lots of property crime and the court system does not punish those running around doing it.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:04 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,028,666 times
Can only speak for myself -- and with the caveat that I do live outside of the city limits -- but I have lived here for 4 years now and have never been a victim of property crime -- and don't know anyone who has.

I am sure there is property crime happening in the city of Santa Fe -- just as it does everywhere -- but in my experience, I have seen very very little of it reported by my friends or acquaintenances.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:00 AM

801 posts, read 2,212,778 times
City Data's crime stats show the burglary rate in Santa Fe is roughly 4 times the national average and even about 3 times the rate in Albuquerque.

Since "Eldorado at Santa Fe" is considered its own entity, I rather doubt the Santa Fe crime rate includes that area. My guess in the crime rate for nearly all crimes in Eldorado is a tiny fraction of the rates in Santa Fe.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:12 PM

713 posts, read 1,846,199 times
I've lived here all my life and was the victim of a property crime once...about 30 years ago.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:44 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,028,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
City Data's crime stats show the burglary rate in Santa Fe is roughly 4 times the national average and even about 3 times the rate in Albuquerque.

Since "Eldorado at Santa Fe" is considered its own entity, I rather doubt the Santa Fe crime rate includes that area. My guess in the crime rate for nearly all crimes in Eldorado is a tiny fraction of the rates in Santa Fe.
When I was talking about crime experienced by my friends and acquaintenances, I was referring to people that I know in Eldorado AND Santa Fe. Even among people I know who live in the city, I know of very little crime that any of them have experienced.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:07 AM

11 posts, read 31,736 times
I've been using https://www.crimereports.com/ to keep track. To me, it looks like quite a bit of property crime crammed into a relatively small area.

In the last seven days (as of 2012-06-01), it shows a combined total of 182 incidents of breaking & entering, theft, vehicle theft, and residential property crime. Data provided by the police dept and sheriff's office.

This could be a function of how incidents are reported, but it still looks like quite a lot to me.

Also, http://www.santafecounty.org/sheriffs_hotsheets can be used to keep a running tab.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:39 AM

888 posts, read 1,186,839 times
Property crimes are often crimes of opportunity.
Santa Fe is sometimes viewed as an 'island of wealth' in a poor state.
For the criminal element, that's like ringing the dinner bell.

Food for thought..........................................

We had some break-ins in my old neighborhood a few years back.
Not one home that owned a DOG was burglarized.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe