Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 11:29 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,263,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indylindy View Post
I'm getting ready to move and I am buying totes. There cheap ,easy to stack, reusable and clean. Oh ,and no dust mites!
Good Idea, but a bit costly--Im a clean maniac so I dust off all my boxes and drench them in Lysol- even if they don't look dusty. I think Ive gone through 5 cans of Lysol... eww dust mites. I have to go clean now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 03:14 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,997,451 times
Default free boxes

I hit Wal*Mart one night as they were stacking shelves. I got over 20 nice size clean useful sturdy boxes.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:31 PM

Default cheap totes?

Totes are cheap where you live? Here a tote about the size of packing box runs $7 and up - and that's on sale. That can add up if you have a lot of things to pack. We've got 29 boxes packed so far. When you sell them used, you're lucky to get $1 or $2 each. I'm sticking to cartons from the stores.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:27 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,666,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Totes are cheap where you live? Here a tote about the size of packing box runs $7 and up - and that's on sale. That can add up if you have a lot of things to pack. We've got 29 boxes packed so far. When you sell them used, you're lucky to get $1 or $2 each. I'm sticking to cartons from the stores.
I was going to use totes but found the cost prohibitive as well. $5-7 each at Walmart here, and I've scoured the interwebs of cheaper ones to no avail.

I was in Walmart last week and found packages of 6 @ 18*18*24 boxes for $6 per pack. For $1 a box it's a pretty good deal, but I think they were marked down to get rid of them. They're a bit small, but we have plenty of heavier stuff to pack in them.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:19 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,921,015 times
Go to Publix. At the customer service ask when they get their big stock delivered. Ask them if you can come in that night or the morning after they have done the stock if you can pick up some boxes. Have them set aside a few for you.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:50 PM

43 posts, read 89,038 times
I bought the 18gal. totes at Walmart for under $5.00 Anything larger I would not be able to lift. I figured I would find some use for them after the move. With boxes it cost nothing, you can't keep them forever, you can't stack them and they stink! I'm pitching alot, and giving away alot to Goodwill. You know since your not traveling that far you can use heavy duty trash bags.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:10 PM

274 posts, read 855,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I hit Wal*Mart one night as they were stacking shelves. I got over 20 nice size clean useful sturdy boxes.
We got about 50 or 60 boxes, large and small, from the Walmart on University and Lockwood Ridge. I tried to buy some, and an employee told me to come back between 11 PM and 7 AM when they restock the shelves. The people at Walmart actually handpicked boxes for me, broke them down, and put them in shopping carts. All I had to pay for was a roll of packing tape

Freecycle and the "free" section of Craigslist usually have people getting rid of boxes as well.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:13 PM

Smile Heavy stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I was going to use totes but found the cost prohibitive as well. $5-7 each at Walmart here, and I've scoured the interwebs of cheaper ones to no avail.

I was in Walmart last week and found packages of 6 @ 18*18*24 boxes for $6 per pack. For $1 a box it's a pretty good deal, but I think they were marked down to get rid of them. They're a bit small, but we have plenty of heavier stuff to pack in them.
Yep! I used the smaller boxes from another store for books. Books are probably the heaviest things we're keeping. I love those egg boxes from Kroger's with the cut-outs for your fingers. They're so easy to carry but they're hard to get now. We used them almost exclusively the last time we moved.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLizzie85 View Post
We got about 50 or 60 boxes, large and small, from the Walmart on University and Lockwood Ridge. I tried to buy some, and an employee told me to come back between 11 PM and 7 AM when they restock the shelves. The people at Walmart actually handpicked boxes for me, broke them down, and put them in shopping carts. All I had to pay for was a roll of packing tape

Freecycle and the "free" section of Craigslist usually have people getting rid of boxes as well.
The people working at WM are usually very nice and helpful. If we need more boxes I will check those places but WM is only about 10 minutes from our house. Another night run for groceries and we'll most likely have enough to finish packing.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:47 AM

43 posts, read 89,038 times
I'm going to pay more attention to OP. She said free boxes. Not other alternatives for packing. I had to chime in about totes. Sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area