Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 07:35 AM

879 posts, read 1,954,062 times

Advertisements

i didn;t read the whole thread but i have been getting cheap moving boxes at Home Depot. Like 60 cents for the small and a little more for the bigger sizes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 12:27 AM

473 posts, read 1,168,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indylindy View Post
I'm going to pay more attention to OP. She said free boxes. Not other alternatives for packing. I had to chime in about totes. Sorry
Relax. Thats the great thing about the web and sites like CD. What doesn't work for one person is perfect for another reading the same thing!
I think your post helped me. I like the idea of totes we have more stuff than we will fit into a hoouse in FL so the totes will still come in handy after the move. Thank you for the thought. And in another post you mentioned that you are doing the Goodwill thing. I read somewhere that someone decided the way to pack was not make piles to revisit later but instead make piles now. One for Goodwill, one for moving, one for the dump etc. I loved that advice that I got right here on CD. I forget who posted it but it was something that a friend said to her. OHIO and her response was no I'm in NY....and the person explained

Only
Handle
It
Once

I think OHIO is brilliant! (hate the state though) If you can be dedicated to actually sticking to the concept.
Oh and by the way to the op I used to work in a box plant and have a bunch of new bundled boxes still sitting in the garage and have friends that still work there and can get all you need for free!
Of course you will pay the shipping of approx. $70

Old 07-04-2010, 09:23 AM

43 posts, read 89,038 times
Thanks beer, you made my day! I guess I'm a little sensitive, and overly concerned. A MOD deleted one of my posts, for being off topic. Trying to follow the rules.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:46 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,092,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
Relax. Thats the great thing about the web and sites like CD. What doesn't work for one person is perfect for another reading the same thing!
I think your post helped me. I like the idea of totes we have more stuff than we will fit into a hoouse in FL so the totes will still come in handy after the move. Thank you for the thought. And in another post you mentioned that you are doing the Goodwill thing. I read somewhere that someone decided the way to pack was not make piles to revisit later but instead make piles now. One for Goodwill, one for moving, one for the dump etc. I loved that advice that I got right here on CD. I forget who posted it but it was something that a friend said to her. OHIO and her response was no I'm in NY....and the person explained

Only
Handle
It
Once

I think OHIO is brilliant! (hate the state though) If you can be dedicated to actually sticking to the concept.
Oh and by the way to the op I used to work in a box plant and have a bunch of new bundled boxes still sitting in the garage and have friends that still work there and can get all you need for free!
Of course you will pay the shipping of approx. $70
The think I like about the Tote idea is that after you move, you never unload everything. And, you always need something decent to store things in so they stay dry and protected. I purchased a number of them when I moved a few things down, and I use them for all kinds of things now.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:34 AM

473 posts, read 1,168,302 times
Quote:
Thanks beer, you made my day! I guess I'm a little sensitive, and overly concerned. A MOD deleted one of my posts, for being off topic. Trying to follow the rules.

The mods are strange creatures on City Data. I think I got a warning on my second post from a mod. I kind of laughed it off because I knew there was a lot of good info on here that I was going to get. But they do seem to pick out a new person. And then you'lll see some things that you think hmmm, that should probably not be allowed but it is.
I keep in mind that it is an internet message board and there will be all types participating.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:39 AM

43 posts, read 89,038 times
Beer, I got emotional on your read. We better stop this conversation. We could get in trouble for being off topic and chatting. lol Back to the boards. I have 10 days till my move. Still don't know where I'm going. I'm packed with my colorful TOTES. I do have to say one more thing in defense of the totes. Since there colored it helps out alot on what goes in them. Just pick your colors for the rooms!

Old 07-05-2010, 05:51 PM

33 posts, read 54,955 times
I once bought new boxes from a box manufacturer for a move for $1 each.They sometimes keep boxes that they refer to as culls that have errors in the print or are out of spec and sell them at a discount.I purchased mine from Smurfit-Stone packaging but there are other box makers out there like Norampac, Georgia Pacific or Weyerhauser. Good luck in your move.

Frank

Old 07-06-2010, 08:18 AM

481 posts, read 943,839 times
Quote:
I'm going to pay more attention to OP. She said free boxes. Not other alternatives for packing. I had to chime in about totes. Sorry
Well if any mods are reading this.....I liked indylindy's posta dn it gave me new ideas, and since I'm the op'er I say it stays . hahaha I agree with beer, the great thing about CD is the ideas that you don't think of that come into play. So I appreciate the tote post.

I've actually moved more then I care to think about, but the part I hate the most is the looking for boxes. when we moved from Arkansas (only lived there 6 months, ha) they ahd a great recycling plant that had a whole section for just boxes. It was wonderful cause you could go to drop off your boxes and find great packing ones. When we moved from Az I did the recycle dumpster dive and found a couple of free ones, but had to buy the rest. I hate paying for them, but it was a cross country move so I choose sturdy over free. I did howveer at the last minute found someone through a message board who had boxes int heir garage from thier move.

It seems like every city has a different system that works. I'm definitely going to call the dollar store and the WM and do the craigslist/freecycle thing. Now if I could just find someone who wants to pack for me. Any takers?

Old 07-06-2010, 08:20 AM

481 posts, read 943,839 times
Oh yeah, BTW what the heck is a tote? hahahaha Do you mean like the tote bags you get from Publix?

Old 07-06-2010, 08:27 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,092,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
Oh yeah, BTW what the heck is a tote? hahahaha Do you mean like the tote bags you get from Publix?
If you go to walmart, you can get huge plastic tubs, that have lids. I think that is what they are referring to as Totes. I would recommend a mix, because even after you move, you always need to store some things, maybe in the garage. And the plastic sealable totes are great for that, stack well, keep things dry, and keep the bugs out. Having a mix of boxes and some Totes are a pretty good idea.

Also, when you are at walmart, ask the manager if you can have some boxes. I did that once, and they let me have all the boxes I could carry. I also raided the Target too. It is not thier policy, but we went at night when it wasn't busy, and they used thier discretion and let us take all we could carry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area