Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:09 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,345,307 times

Advertisements

Last night, we had a marvelous meal at Morocco Restaurant on Tamiami near Stickney Point: Morocco Restaurant

I have eaten many cuisines, but had never gotten around to Moroccan, for some reason. While it was apparent that we like the cuisine a lot, it is also apparent that this restaurant in particular is excellent.

The restaurant itself is typical Sarasota: from the outside, you just couldn't know what a beautiful and spotless dining room it is. Really nice in every way. There is an elegant bar and a great selection of wines.

Our server, Ken, was excellent. We told him we were not familiar with Moroccan food, and he walked us through it very adeptly, and actually seemed to enjoy doing so.

The food has some things in common with other Middle Eastern fare, but is definitely unique in many ways. Yes, there is eggplant and the taste of cumin, but there are surprises.

One of our appetizers, Bisteeya, was a real revelation. Chicken, eggs, onions, crushed almonds and orange blossom water baked in phyllo dough...oh my. Think samosa, only way better.

We had an entree called a tagine, which is a braised stew made in a heavy clay pot. Ours was made with chicken breast, dried apricots, figs, carrots, carmelized onions and mushrooms, and a semi-sweet sauce. It was totally unique and absolutely delicious. It came with salad, and was easily big enough to share (in fact, we only had two appetizers and one entree, and didn't even finish that much. Ken was very helpful on this front).

We also saw a lamb coucous dish go by our table that looked fantastic.

Also, I had an excellent bottle of wine for only $25. Not "excellent for $25," just excellent.

If you're looking to try something new and really not all that expensive, this place is worth checking out. They open at 4, which is great for folks who like an early dinner, like us.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 08:21 AM

46 posts, read 91,996 times
Oooooh.... drool.... that menu looks very tempting. We will definitely try them out!

Jason

Old 08-18-2010, 11:14 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Rushmore, the best Moroccan restaurant ever is called Marakesh, and it is on New York Avenue in Washington DC. You walk through a little door on a non descript building, but when you walk in it is like you walked back in time 2000 + years. You sit on couches, with tapestrys all around you, and before you start, they bring out a tea pot like thing and an urn for you to wash your hands. Most of the meals you eat with your fingers, they don't use utensils. And they have belly dancers that entertain you after the main course. They serve a several course meal, and end with a sweet mint tea. It is one of my favorite places.

Thanks for letting me know where a Moroccan restaurant is down there - I will surely give it a try.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:43 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,345,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Rushmore, the best Moroccan restaurant ever is called Marakesh, and it is on New York Avenue in Washington DC. You walk through a little door on a non descript building, but when you walk in it is like you walked back in time 2000 + years. You sit on couches, with tapestrys all around you, and before you start, they bring out a tea pot like thing and an urn for you to wash your hands. Most of the meals you eat with your fingers, they don't use utensils. And they have belly dancers that entertain you after the main course. They serve a several course meal, and end with a sweet mint tea. It is one of my favorite places.

Thanks for letting me know where a Moroccan restaurant is down there - I will surely give it a try.
Well, Morocco Restaurant won't have all that much ambience, but I do see that they have dancers sometimes.

Regardless, it was a damned fine meal. I just ate the leftovers for lunch. It was just delicious. Who would have thought that figs and dates and prunes with mushrooms and onions could make such a sublime sauce? Awesome.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:13 PM

879 posts, read 1,953,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Who would have thought that figs and dates and prunes with mushrooms and onions could make such a sublime sauce? Awesome.
OOhh!! Oooh!! (arnold horshack style) ooh! The Greek chick from NY did!!

the place sounds great. i will try it too. i like anything middle eastern, mediterrenean, egyptian, etc

Old 08-18-2010, 04:44 PM

477 posts, read 987,536 times
Ooh! Sounds amazing! I love it and I can't wait to try it! Delish those tagines are!

Old 08-18-2010, 06:20 PM

477 posts, read 987,536 times
Just looked at the menu...great website! I may have to try one of the couscous dishes...well, all of them eventually...

Old 08-21-2010, 08:45 PM

151 posts, read 559,558 times
Thanks for posting, we are new here and love to hear about great places around town. We had a fantastic experience at The Soda Fountain in Venice the other night. Food was fantastic, service was great (we loved Brandon), and the old fashioned sodas, shakes, sundaes were to die for. YUMMMY!

Old 08-21-2010, 09:08 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,219 times
We've found LOTS of really good restaurants in Sarasota, but we often follow up the meal with a trip for dessert - to KILWIN'S Ice Cream on St. Armand's Circle. They are also located in Venice.
There's a line even in summer, but it's worth the wait!

Old 08-22-2010, 08:38 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
We've found LOTS of really good restaurants in Sarasota, but we often follow up the meal with a trip for dessert - to KILWIN'S Ice Cream on St. Armand's Circle. They are also located in Venice.
There's a line even in summer, but it's worth the wait!
You got that right - I have eaten at all the "premium" ice cream places over the years and have never found ANY I love more than Kilwin's! It totally rocks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area