Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2010, 06:06 AM

913 posts, read 2,362,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Yup, it's just weather and what you're swapping are cold winters for warm but your summers... you'll be swapping fun, fresh air summers for smarmy, thick aired summers.

The people up north have a sense of reverence for the holidays of summer. Memorial Day is celebrated as the first day of summer, Independence Day is spent barbecuing with family and friends, and Labor Day is another celebration. Here in FL it's the same ole same ole, no celebrations, unless you count the moth-eaten Christmas decorations they pull out every year to hang in the main streets and malls.

I agree, Jim. There are smarter ways to enjoy Florida, like snowbirding. Come, enjoy, take the best of what Florida has to offer, and leave!
I have spent the entire summer in Florida for the past 15 years and I love it. Of course I spend most of the day at the beach or at the pool. We first visited Sarasota in 1996 and finally bought in 2009. We always knew we wanted to, but it took us a little while. I don't agree about the celebrations. I love watching fireworks on the beach. I will say that Christmas does seem a little different in Florida. But I will gladly take 70 degrees over 25 and 8 inches of snow. But to each his own.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:08 AM

481 posts, read 943,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
I can see that you are well-intended, and that this is a topic very important to you, but I want to say this.

Racism, sexism, ageism, and ______ism are all WORLDWIDE issues, because they are part of human nature. Humans as a species simply have not evolved sufficiently SOCIALLY to get past differences yet.

Although the species (and the world, and the country, and the state, and your block) is at a general point of social evolution, each individual is at some especially unique point in that evolution. Those for whom a person's category or classification is a constant issue are at one point. Those for whom being a part of the majority (or even a mob) is very important, a different point. Those for whom a person's character is their only interest, yet a different point.

It's lamentable, but forgivable in a sense.

I have been the minority in the midst of a hostile majority on several occasions and for significant lengths of time. It is very unpleasant, but I must say, I never really resented those who looked down upon me because I simply knew it was in their nature to do so.

I think making it my focus would be a waste of my life.
I really don't want to derail this thread anymore then it had been but I do feel like I should clarify a few things.

First, I realize racism (we will stick to that since that was what was brought up in the thread) is a Worldwide problem. But in this thread the focus was on comparing racism between states and within communities, was it not? The difference between racism in Sarasota vs NY or the South vs the North. Not to mention, though each country has it's own problems with racism, it is indicative of the country's historicity. The US and Jim Crow vs Australia and the Stolen Generation vs South Africa and Apartheid vs Asia and the strugges of the Hmong people after the Vietnam War. True they are all issues of race and each individual has their own struggles with it, but institutionalized racism (though one can argue whether or not it is a human condition) is very specific to the region and the history of the peoples and the powers at be.

Second, my point was not about making racism a focus of ones life. Maybe I should have been clearer. My passion and work is ending institutionalized racism and discrimination, especially in the schools. And in my opinion, as well as that of James Banks and Freiri and Peggy Macintosh, the best way to do that is through awarness. Which goes back to my original point, unless you are aware of what is going on around you, how can you ever hope to change it.

We could argue all day about the origins of race and racism from Blumenbach to Stokely Carmichael. But in my opinion, it doesn't matter whether the human race has an instinctual pull to segregate and discriminate. That doesn't matter to me at all. And though it may be forgivable, that does not mean that should make us complacent.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Yeah that would make a lot of sense if I only stayed in my one small tank. Since that's not the case it doesn't really apply.
Absolutely. Seriously, this argument is futile. For every snowbird who prefers Florida only for the winter I can find you a native who has lived elsewhere and has come back to stay (I'm one of them by the way).

I agree the turtle may be happy because they don't know what they are missing. But they also don't have a choice. Many of us who have either come back to stay or have never left, do so by choice. It is just a faulty analogy all around.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:13 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
I really don't want to derail this thread anymore then it had been but I do feel like I should clarify a few things.

First, I realize racism (we will stick to that since that was what was brought up in the thread) is a Worldwide problem. But in this thread the focus was on comparing racism between states and within communities, was it not? The difference between racism in Sarasota vs NY or the South vs the North. Not to mention, though each country has it's own problems with racism, it is indicative of the country's historicity. The US and Jim Crow vs Australia and the Stolen Generation vs South Africa and Apartheid vs Asia and the strugges of the Hmong people after the Vietnam War. True they are all issues of race and each individual has their own struggles with it, but institutionalized racism (though one can argue whether or not it is a human condition) is very specific to the region and the history of the peoples and the powers at be.

Second, my point was not about making racism a focus of ones life. Maybe I should have been clearer. My passion and work is ending institutionalized racism and discrimination, especially in the schools. And in my opinion, as well as that of James Banks and Freiri and Peggy Macintosh, the best way to do that is through awarness. Which goes back to my original point, unless you are aware of what is going on around you, how can you ever hope to change it.

We could argue all day about the origins of race and racism from Blumenbach to Stokely Carmichael. But in my opinion, it doesn't matter whether the human race has an instinctual pull to segregate and discriminate. That doesn't matter to me at all. And though it may be forgivable, that does not mean that should make us complacent.
There was no need to clarify at all. I agree with most of what you say.

I should clarify, though, that it was not my intention to imply that you were in any way wasting your time in your pursuit. Looking back at my post, I can see how it might have read that way. Even if I felt that way (which I do not), I certainly wouldn't be so rude or unnecessarily confrontational as to say it.

Lastly, I agree that one should not become complacent.

But as I have also said elsewhere in the thread, I am not a person who is socially driven. I find this perspective is neither an attribute nor a detriment, personally, but I am aware of the fact that many will perceive it as a character flaw. I simply disagree.

Anyway, as you've said, it is a topic we could discuss (no, not argue about) for a long while. All I ask when it comes to the subject is that people are able to discuss it rationally, and without putting their thoughts on a bumper sticker.

Speaking of muticulturalism...

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Old 11-25-2010, 07:14 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
Absolutely. Seriously, this argument is futile. For every snowbird who prefers Florida only for the winter I can find you a native who has lived elsewhere and has come back to stay (I'm one of them by the way).

I agree the turtle may be happy because they don't know what they are missing. But they also don't have a choice. Many of us who have either come back to stay or have never left, do so by choice. It is just a faulty analogy all around.
ABSOLUTELY!! ^^ I'm a native who has traveled all around but I LOVE it here - I almost moved away once but started missing FL before I even left! My hubby has lived in the US and Europe and this is the place he loves best!

As SoFLGal and Culturemom say and I agree, no one can say what is "best" for another" or state it like a fact that "we don't know what we're missing" - that is pretty condescending. Me and DH aren't missing a THING because this is the place for us, plain and simple.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:38 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
no one can say what is "best" for another" or state it like a fact that "we don't know what we're missing" - that is pretty condescending.
You found it "condescending" to think that people who enjoy living here simply haven't been anywhere else, and are similar to "pet turtles?"

It's not easy to respect the opinions of those who come to you inclined to say that they understand your view because you can't be expected to know any better, as uninformed and ignorant as you are.

<sigh>

To further agree with you, I have lived all over the country, and SWF is my favorite place in this country to live.

And I have actually escaped my aquarium once or twice! (Ssshhhhhhhh!)

Old 11-25-2010, 06:46 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortport Jim View Post
I hope we all know that living somewhere is very different than visiting.

I found these two posts in another thread. I think the posters make a lot of good points.

Both posts are on the Main Florida Board. There are plenty here if you look for positive things to say. Of course, with a negative bias, that won't happen. But, there are some fair negative view points as well - if you want to look for them.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:01 AM

37 posts, read 68,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Both posts are on the Main Florida Board. There are plenty here if you look for positive things to say. Of course, with a negative bias, that won't happen. But, there are some fair negative view points as well - if you want to look for them.
Why does it matter to you if someone wants to post a different opinion than yours?
Is my opinion really going to affect the market value of one of the properties you’re currently trying to sell?

Old 11-26-2010, 07:03 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortport Jim View Post
Why does it matter to you if someone wants to post a different opinion than yours?
Is my opinion really going to affect the market value of one of the properties you’re currently trying to sell?
Everyone here posts opinions and many are different than mine. All of your posts, many of which continue to be deleted because you like to attach posters or draw them out don't matter to me much either. Because you enjoy doing that, and everone can see it.

There are plenty of negative things to say - and you like to dwell on that. But there are a lot of positive things to say about SWFL, as well as things to do.

The economic situation in SWFL is no better or worse than other places in the country, and in many places there are situations I can elevate and blow out of proportion to make them seem much worse than SWFL - I don't. I speak about the things that go on in SWFL that are positive - if you choose not to - of course you can.

I have never brought up that I have houses to sell here - others have. I have never tried to sell any houses here, and don't encourage anyone here to look at them. You act like I do. I actually don't want anyone here to look at or buy anything from me. I am in a financial situation where I don't need or want to sell anything to anyone here. What do you do since you brought up one of my past times? Maybe we can nit-pic you. . . - although I don't have any interest in that either - maybe someone else would enjoy that. More specifically - no - your opinion will have no bearing on anything I do. But, I wonder why you have focused so much of your attention on me - much like some other kook that was on here before he was totally banned. - There are a lot of similiarities with your posts.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
There was no need to clarify at all. I agree with most of what you say.

I should clarify, though, that it was not my intention to imply that you were in any way wasting your time in your pursuit. Looking back at my post, I can see how it might have read that way. Even if I felt that way (which I do not), I certainly wouldn't be so rude or unnecessarily confrontational as to say it.

Lastly, I agree that one should not become complacent.

But as I have also said elsewhere in the thread, I am not a person who is socially driven. I find this perspective is neither an attribute nor a detriment, personally, but I am aware of the fact that many will perceive it as a character flaw. I simply disagree.

Anyway, as you've said, it is a topic we could discuss (no, not argue about) for a long while. All I ask when it comes to the subject is that people are able to discuss it rationally, and without putting their thoughts on a bumper sticker.

Speaking of muticulturalism...

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
Goodness, I didn't take your post with any bad intent or ill will at all. And when I said argue...well I'm Jewish so a good hearty argument is like a warm hug from a friend. My family is to arguing, what the Barrymore's are to acting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area