Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2010, 04:52 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,068,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Yeah, pretty much this.

And WTF?

Old 11-23-2010, 07:09 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortport Jim View Post
I found you’re posts in two different threads discussing the 50% rule. I’m sorry, but you don’t seem to understand it.
It’s too bad that people can’t post facts (with links) on the Sarasota Board without being attacked by the regulars.

I know, why are you doing that?? And, why are sooo many of your recent posts being deleted?

You must be getting your self in trouble!

Last edited by Big House; 11-23-2010 at 07:18 PM..

Old 11-24-2010, 03:37 AM

37 posts, read 68,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I know, why are you doing that?? And, why are sooo many of your recent posts being deleted?

You must be getting your self in trouble!
Let’s stop and review the facts here.

Another poster mentioned the 50% rule in SoFLGal’s thread about long lost members. I responded with a short post about the rule and stated that I didn’t want to disrupt (hijack) the thread and that I found the original topic interesting. Several other members came on and (basically) said forget the original topic, tell us more about the 50% rule. I didn’t post anything further and wasn't going to (in that thread) until SoFLGal put up a post that I felt downplayed the issue. When she didn’t like my follow up post she called in the mod.

Yes, I unintentionally hijacked the thread and my two posts were deleted.

You’re statement “sooo many of your recent posts being deleted” is an attempt on your part to discredit me. I’ve seen you do it to many others and have come to expect it from you. I've only had those two posts deleated and the mod even suggested that I might want to start a new thread on the subject.

So much for "getting myself in trouble", and so much for your "spin" on what really occurred.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:51 AM

37 posts, read 68,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Yes, repiping can be an issue in older homes. This isn't just a "Sarasota county issue". If you have an older home things can go wrong. Your A/C is more likely to have issues, piping, roof, etc. Things just wear out. Many of these people above live in south Venice or were asking about the south Venice area. Most of the newer homes now have CPVC. This discussion comes up on nearly every board on CD.
I think most people from out of state wouldn’t consider a ten to fifteen year old home to be an “older home” but the problem is also popping up in homes in as little as two years from what I’ve read.

I’m from the North East and I think most people moving down here from up there would never even think to be worried about the life expectancy of their copper water pipes. Copper was always known to outlive the buildings it was installed in. Having the water lines inaccessible, buried under their tiled floors, would also be an oddity to them.

No, of course it’s not just a Sarasota issue but I found little mention of it anywhere else on City Data when I searched nationally. I don’t understand how you can say “This discussion comes up on nearly every board on CD.”

There do seem to be more reported occurrences in some areas than others though. The Washington, D.C. area and Florida are both said to have “Hot Spots”. Other areas of the country with higher rates of pinhole leaks are Alaska, California, Massachusetts, Ohio, South Carolina, South Dakota, and Tennessee.

The Sarasota and Charlotte county areas would seem to be one of those Hot Spots and Homeowners in Venice and Nokomis seem to report a lot of leaks.

Here’s a list I found of Florida counties with copper pipe corrosion problems that were studied, beginning with the most severe:

Orange and Seminole Counties
Polk and Osceola Counties
Hillsborogh, Pinellas and Manatee Counties
Palm Beach and Martin Counties
Sarasota and Charlotte County
Broward and Dade County
Volusa and Flagler County
Doval and St. Johns County
Brevard County

In 2005 Sarasota added a new polyorthophosphate blend into some of their water. They say “the inhibitor prevents pinhole leaks from forming, and, for the first time ever, extensive research shows it may even remedy existing holes”.

It’s very worth noting that long-term or periodic water stagnation has been listed as a possible cause. This would affect buyers of second homes who leave the home unused for most of the year and any buyer of a foreclosed home that has been setting vacant.

http://www.toolbase.org/PDF/CaseStud...nholeLeaks.pdf

Also worth noting is that the copper pipe it’s self (raw material, manufacturing defects) has be ruled out as being a cause of the problem after extensive studies.

City of Sarasota FAQ:
http://www.scgov.net/environmentalse...PinHoleFAQ.pdf

Old 11-24-2010, 07:00 AM

481 posts, read 944,077 times
Goodness, I don't even know where this debate is even going anymore. I am so confuzzeled. It seems though the issue with this debate is in the topic question itself maybe. To ask why one would not want to move here (or anywhere) sets up the topic to be negative and opens it up for people who obviously have a bone to pick and are unhappy and miserable with living here. It gives them a place to rant and rave about why they hate it. I think it's unfortunate since I think it was started (sorry to speak for you SoFlGal) as just a way to give a complete picture, which I admire, but sadly it's been used for evil and not good

I think every state and city and neighborhood has their downfalls. I've moved around quite a bit and I have learned that if you are unhappy, it will color your experience. When I moved to Virginia, I didn't really want to go. I had a difficult time living there and if someone asked me to list the reasons why one should not move there, I probably could have given you a list a mile long. But looking back I realized that it wasn't VA that was the problem...it was me. I missed out on so many wonderful things because I was so focused on how I would rather be back home in Florida. Thankfully I learned my lesson before we moved to other places so I could take the good from each of the subsequent states we have gotten to live in. I even miss Arkansas

I would also like to speak to the racism issue, since diversity issues is my passion and work and any time I have a chance to use some of the knowledge I am paying through the nose for (********* student loans), I feel complelled to do so.

Racism is a national issue. There is no place free from it's grip. Our country was founded on it and bulit on the backs of it, so to think that one place is racist free (even NYC), is illogical. But racism now a days is not like that in year past. It is not covered in a sheet or placed on a store front. It is covert in nature and hidden by this fake notion of being PC, and in my opinion more toxic. The other thing is racism is personal and soemtimes depends on experiences to be revealed. If you have not had the priviledge of being followed in a store because of your color or looked down by neighbors for moving into a neighborhood where you were the "only one of your kind", then you might not recoginize it happening right in front of your face.

My mother is White and her experience of living in Hialeah is very different then my fathers and even mine as I speak spanish and have darker skin and can pass as Cuban very easily. I never saw SoFl as being intolerant because it wasn;t to me. But my mother found it to be the most racist place ever because she was the outsider...the minority. I just think we need to be careful before we say Sarasota is not racist or is less racist then other places, because more then likely it just means we are not aware of it and that in effect is what perpetuates it even more.

Sorry for the lecture (and for the typos of which I am sure there are many. I hate typing and I vowed after writing my dissertation I was never going to edit my work again, )

Old 11-24-2010, 07:11 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,805,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
I probably shouldn't be answering this thread because we're headed back to the beautiful northern tundra after 6 years of Florida life. I want to say, however, snakes, bugs, mosquitoes, alligators.. none of these were a concern. If you get sprayed quarterly then you'll see only dead bugs, and we only saw an occasional black racer snake, and any alligators seen were in their natural habitat. They don't exactly walk onto your patio. My complaint about Florida is the people. I know... you'll say, "People are from everywhere, how can you complain about the people," but maybe that's the problem. There's no sense of community, no let's all pull togetherness, there are either ice cold gated communities (in which I live) or the "Praise Be The Lord" cracker neighborhoods. Sex offenders are in every state, we haven't had a hurricane in Vero Beach in six years and before that I think it was 46 years! You can't walk into a house with Chinese drywall and not know it, the sulfur stink will knock you out, so I don't think this is a surprise either. For me, it's the people. You'll get cold calls where someone will want to talk bible at you, some people are outwardly racist and you'll hear comments you haven't heard since the 70s up north. The weather for half the year is heavenly and for the other half of the hear it's smarmy and you can smell everyone's deodorant failing and the last thing you'll want to do is shake anyone's hand. There's good and bad here but if you like people and you expect the same relationships you had somewhere else then don't come here.
Agreed. Simply put the people are awful. Not everyone - but far too many. I really think its the heat and too much time driving in these sprawled areas - makes me cranky too!

Old 11-24-2010, 08:39 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,932,345 times
Well, I'm not going to get into bickering on either side. Just unnecessary.

Just wanted to say that Culturemom did a fantastic job on her post. 5 gold stars!

On the copper pipe issue. I may be wrong on this but from all the construction/builders I speak with they tell me for the most part CPVC has been used for at least 10-15 years (at least). Actually, I can't think of a single home that I have sold in the last 5 years or so that was newer than 15 years old and had copper piping. I'm sure there can be an exception to the rule and I always recommend having a home inspected prior to purchase. I agree that having the pipes under the flooring can be a major headache and most of the newer homes don't have it in the flooring. Many now use Manabloc plumbing, which is generally run through the attic for easy access.

Cosmic claims that the issue of copper pipes corroding has to do with it being laid in cement-not the water:
Normal copper tubing will fail in relatively short order if buried in any type of cement or concrete product. Was the basic problem in trying to use copper tubing in radiant under floor heating systems with lite weight concrete slabs. You can get a type of copper tubing that comes with a sort of protective vinyl jacket to protect it in harsh environments from corrosion type damage. Never put copper in direct full contact with any cement product, especially never buried or directly embed it. Not even if just going thru a cement wall with out some type of protective jacket.

Could not tell from the OP, if those pipes were in contact with any cement product, did not sound like it.

ExAirForce states the new copper materials are rock solid:
The one poster was correct that the old copper or metal tubing that was used years ago had been known to crack but generally the new material is rock solid if installed correctly. PEX tubing like you used is the best from my months of research. They have been using it for decades here in Germany and I have talked to many people that have it for years. If for some reason a crack does happen, there are companies out there that can detect and fix the problem with minimal damage to the floor and insurance should cover the cost of repairs. Just my 2 cents. //www.city-data.com/forum/maine...ing-maine.html

Pipes corroding in NY: //www.city-data.com/forum/westc...tem-house.html

Pipes corroding in MA: //www.city-data.com/forum/house...-question.html

Pipes need to be replaced in TN: //www.city-data.com/forum/house...-question.html

Many of the links for this area are inquires asking if it's an issue or someone hearing that it was an issue. They didn't actually have a problem.

Like I said previously, a good home inspector is worth his/her weight in gold. You can avoid a lot of problems down the road by having a home inspected. Even if your home is brand new, have it inspected.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 11-24-2010 at 09:07 AM..

Old 11-24-2010, 08:43 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortport Jim View Post
Let’s stop and review the facts here.

Another poster mentioned the 50% rule in SoFLGal’s thread about long lost members. I responded with a short post about the rule and stated that I didn’t want to disrupt (hijack) the thread and that I found the original topic interesting. Several other members came on and (basically) said forget the original topic, tell us more about the 50% rule. I didn’t post anything further and wasn't going to (in that thread) until SoFLGal put up a post that I felt downplayed the issue. When she didn’t like my follow up post she called in the mod.

Yes, I unintentionally hijacked the thread and my two posts were deleted.

You’re statement “sooo many of your recent posts being deleted” is an attempt on your part to discredit me. I’ve seen you do it to many others and have come to expect it from you. I've only had those two posts deleated and the mod even suggested that I might want to start a new thread on the subject.

So much for "getting myself in trouble", and so much for your "spin" on what really occurred.

Thanks for your acknowledgment! I didn't put a spin on anything - just stated the truth as usual.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:54 AM

7,201 posts, read 15,004,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Doing exactly what you're doing right now! Ask locals! Verify verify verify! Research!

Again, the older neighborhoods, often historic areas, near downtowns, etc. (Though I heard for older folks places like the Villages are chock full of social seniors).
We checked out The Villages last fall. No thanks. As I mentioned in several past posts they're like ghost towns and have suffocating rules all must follow. And HOA fees must to paid to be told what you can and can't do and how to do it. Some don't allow vegetable gardens or dog houses in the yards or even privacy fences. It's more like renting than owning and none allow RVs to be kept in the yard or driveway. We can't live like that.

We can't truly verify because no one here will advise "against" certain areas most of us wouldn't want to live in. I know some of you have to know where these areas are. You know what I mean: Drugs. Welfare. Gangs of loud teenagers on the corners. A neighborhood on the skids or right next to it. That subject has already come up on this Forum. It's also understandable that none of the regulars want to offend anyone but it doesn't help people looking for honest information. For example, where in Sarasota can we find an insulated home without CWB and out of the storm surge that is not deed restricted? One where the taxes and Ins wont drain us dry? Where Dr's are taking Medicare patients and there's no 2 to 3 hour wait to see the Dr? Minorities don't bother us at all as long as they're middle class, clean and hard working like everyone else. We don't want an area next to a neighborhood of druggies and hookers and welfare people no matter what color they are.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:17 AM

4 posts, read 7,788 times
I just moved here from Bucks County mid September. I agree... hot and humid this summer, and almost
80 inches of snow. I love it here. I still look out my window and can't believe it is Thanksgiving,
and I can go to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area