Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 03:45 PM

810 posts, read 1,182,017 times

Advertisements

Imagartner, everyone has different reasons for wanting or not wanting in a HOA community. Yours are very vailid. For me, though, I've had the opposite experience. I live across from the most horrific home you could imagine. I am in a very nice community that is well maintained (no gates, no HOA fees). This house has been under re-construction for 12 years. An eyesore to say the least. The town has been after them, the neighbors, the local congressman! But, they aren't doing anything wrong. Our bylaws, which we have tried to get changed (but he would get grandfathered in) state that a homeowner can take as long as he needs to complete re-construction. It's a huge home, too, which makes it even more of an eyesore. Anyway, I have vowed that I will never again live in a community that ISN'T an HOA one. The value of my home upon resale will be much lower than it should because of this house.

**It is so bad that when my brother once came out to my home by train he got into a cab at the station and when he gave my address the cabbie said he knew right where it was because it was by that horrible house!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 04:13 PM

66 posts, read 190,744 times
The economic benefits are temporary, and there are plenty of homes sitting in already built subdivisions that are up for sale. Meanwhile we put strains on our water and our landfill.

Some subdivisions are better than others; at least in a lot of the older ones, the houses aren't carbon copies of one another. But it seems like in every new "community" built, all the McMansions...err...houses are almost exactly the same! Don't forget the silly "community" pitch line and the fancy sounding Italian/Spanish names. LOL!

I don't think we've learned our lesson as far as smart growth -- look at North Port. It's one big development gone wrong. The area will continue to reap what it sows until we start limiting the amount of these subdivisions built.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:16 PM

66 posts, read 190,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Who is it that you're mad at? Local government for issuing the permits? The builders and construction companies for devising and executing the plans? Developers for over-speculating? Consumers ("new people moving here") for their disposable income? Lexus? Someone has to be "they."

When you were protesting the permits or chained to a tree at the development site, what was "their" response? What exactly did the local government have to say about it? I imagine they said that in this economy, they didn't want to deprive the many people involved in the project a livelihood, but that you should definitely vote your conscience at the next election.

I agree it seems odd (even ill-advised) for new construction to be in the works. If I had to guess, it must have been a done deal prior to the bust, and the developers have simply decided to roll the dice and proceed rather than take the loss and bankrupt.

Every area has what seems like adequate reason for provincial perspectives and interests. When you start defining incoming population as "these new people," however, provincial becomes xenophobic.
As we learned with previous "communities", a lot of these homes were bought by people way in over their heads who all moved out when their houses, ubiquitous Lexus SUV's, etc. became too expensive! And with all these empty houses sitting in subdivisions, there should be no problem finding a house for someone who wants to move here.

There has to be a more responsible solution to create jobs other than perpetual subdivision construction. There's that TV studio. Lord knows we hear about it enough on the news. :P

Old 12-02-2010, 06:48 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
I just received my quarterly tax bill. Included with the bill was a 4 page insert explaining when, how and where to pay. On page 3 is 'your 2010 tax bill' listing who has authority to tax, collect and spend our money.
There is the ad-valorem taxing authorites. There are 18 taxers listed that set tax rates with a 'millage'. They include the biggies like the 3 cities and a town, the school board and Sarasota Memorial. It's interesting to see something called 'mosquito control' has taxing authority. But missing from the list is the County Commisioners who tax us at 3.4 mils for county operations.
Then there is a list of non-ad valorem levying authorities. There are 28 'fee' collectors on the list. They can set whatever amount they want to cover their expenses. There are all kinds of entities and 'districts' listed, which brings me to 'SUBDIVISIONS'.
There are 6 community development districts, a.k.a. a CDD listed. Included are- Bobcat Trail, Lakeside Plantation, Sarasota National, Stoneybrook, The Woodlands and Venetian. (Heron Creek is not a CDD but they do collect a yearly 'master development' fee.]
These are mega sized, multi sub-division entities that have authority to collect fees above and beyond the typical HOA fees of each separate inner subdivision.
Areas like North Port have over 80,000 empty lots but that doesn't seem to be enogh to develop according to some who think we need more.
Through out Florida, individuals, groups and corporations own huge tracts of land that they want to develop. The problem is that they don't have or can't get the money to develop the land. Our Legislature and Governor to the rescue. Community Development Districts were formed. The land owning corporations are authorized to float bonds for 20 years to develop the land. But not at their expense. Being that there are hundreds of acres and thousands of lots, the home purchaser will pay the bonds. The 'fee' is usually about $1500-$2000 a year to cover bond pay off for the whole project [developer gets a 'bond maintenence' fee] and maintain common entry landscaping and roadways. This is in addition to all other taxes and their individual HOA fee.
So now there are thousands of additional residential properties on the market in 'planned' communities.
There are also 'planned' communities like Kings Gate in P.C. that are not a CDD but also have hundreds of lots to sell and build single family homes. They recently got the old Victoria Estates mobile home sites rezoned and are now constructing or have plans for hundreds of paired villas.
Subdivisions, subdivisions, subdivisions. I gues the developers think that eventually people will be buying in them.
Meanwhile, lots that were $4,000 in North Port that went to $40,000 are now dropping back to $4,000

Old 12-03-2010, 10:56 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
Imagartner, everyone has different reasons for wanting or not wanting in a HOA community. Yours are very vailid. For me, though, I've had the opposite experience. I live across from the most horrific home you could imagine. I am in a very nice community that is well maintained (no gates, no HOA fees). This house has been under re-construction for 12 years. An eyesore to say the least. The town has been after them, the neighbors, the local congressman! But, they aren't doing anything wrong. Our bylaws, which we have tried to get changed (but he would get grandfathered in) state that a homeowner can take as long as he needs to complete re-construction. It's a huge home, too, which makes it even more of an eyesore. Anyway, I have vowed that I will never again live in a community that ISN'T an HOA one. The value of my home upon resale will be much lower than it should because of this house.

**It is so bad that when my brother once came out to my home by train he got into a cab at the station and when he gave my address the cabbie said he knew right where it was because it was by that horrible house!!
Re: the house under construction for 12 years...since I moved to the Sarasota Bradenton area back in 1991, there has been a home under construction on the intersection of ospry and orange, south of Hillview since that time (19 years, 12 months, 2 days, 12 hours, 53 minutes in Donnie Darko time). I do believe when we first explored Sarasota, it was a an exotic car repair shop but then later not...it really looks sweet now but it's still hard to tell what's really going on...SFG? Do you have any information on this little place?

Old 12-03-2010, 11:01 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Re: the house under construction for 12 years...since I moved to the Sarasota Bradenton area back in 1991, there has been a home under construction on the intersection of ospry and orange, south of Hillview since that time (19 years, 12 months, 2 days, 12 hours, 53 minutes in Donnie Darko time). I do believe when we first explored Sarasota, it was a an exotic car repair shop but then later not...it really looks sweet now but it's still hard to tell what's really going on...SFG? Do you have any information on this little place?
I was wondering about that place myself - it's such a WEIRD lot and location for such a high-end humongous house! If I had that kind of money for a house like that, I would NEVER want it in that location!

Old 12-04-2010, 07:23 AM

169 posts, read 396,563 times
Funny(not really) when we lived up north,I was so used to everything being built up and just accepted it and now I live in a nice quiet area,close to LWR but further out. I cringe when I see land being destoyed to make away for new houses/businesses,wherever that is. They just put in a new Walgreens on 64!

I have gotten to love the wildlife and peace and quiet. Odd how things change you but I couldn't live in a city again.
So sometimes,I complain about certain things,not really things that effect my day to day living, but then complaing is human nature, yet I wouldn't trade any of it for where I live on a day to day basis now.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:07 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,825 times
Remember that scene in The Jerk where the sniper is shooting at Steve Martin, but he keeps hitting the oil cans behind him? And Steve Martin mistakenly thinks the sniper hates the oil cans?

That's how I feel about the original poster:

"It's the Lexuses! He hates all the Lexuses! Get away from the Lexuses!"

Lexi?

I dunno.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:24 PM

169 posts, read 396,563 times
Yes,I was wondering about the Lexus remark.Not sure why people are botherd so much by what other people do with their money? I wonder what they would do,if they won the lottery tomorrow! I bet they would upgrade everything.

If someone wants a Lexus, a good car,thats is their business! I would rather have someone with a Rolls Royce parked in their driveway than a piece of Junk!!
That is why we chose to live in a nice neighbourhood.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:09 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,920,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Remember that scene in The Jerk where the sniper is shooting at Steve Martin, but he keeps hitting the oil cans behind him? And Steve Martin mistakenly thinks the sniper hates the oil cans?

That's how I feel about the original poster:

"It's the Lexuses! He hates all the Lexuses! Get away from the Lexuses!"

Lexi?

I dunno.

LMAO that is too funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area