Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:03 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,199,428 times

Advertisements

Planning to look at a house for sale there. The creek runs along the back of the house but there is a large fence running along the back of the property. House has a caged pool and the lawn runs down to the creek.

What's the truth about alligators and that area?

Thanks for any advice,

Macy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 03:25 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
Alligators are found in any fresh water in Florida and yes, they are in Phillippi Creek. Use caution when going near the creek and especially keep an eye on small children and pets. You can't trust an alligator. They may sun themselves on a bank and look harmless, but they can move at high speeds. Do not feed the alligators. During summer and spring are when the females lay their eggs. They protect their young until they get about 2 feet in length. Do not swim in the creek.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:10 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post
Planning to look at a house for sale there. The creek runs along the back of the house but there is a large fence running along the back of the property. House has a caged pool and the lawn runs down to the creek.

What's the truth about alligators and that area?

Thanks for any advice,

Macy
Hi Macy,

I kayak in Phillipi Creek frequently and have never seen any alligators. Phillipi Creek is generally too salty for the gators. That's not to say you wouldn't have a stray gator wander in once in a while, especially during mating season but generally you won't see them in there.

They like the brackish water (mix of salt and fresh water). The Myakka River is full of gators, as is the Peace River, many of the North Port canals and many of the water traps on the golf courses.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:22 PM

Thank you,

Old 07-26-2011, 07:21 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
Anyone looking to purchase a home on or near Phillipi Creek should check to see if the home is on septic or sewer. If still on septic, you will soon get a notice for a sewer installation. [$8500 plus plumber cost to attach to your home and a monthly sewer charge]

Old 07-26-2011, 07:51 PM

879 posts, read 1,953,405 times
i don't live by Phillipi Creek but there are ponds in our community which is not in a rural area at all and they are full of alligators. I am 15 min south of Phillipi Creek off 41 and I see them frequently. i have seen them come all the way out of the water to sun up on the bank and i recently had a young one run across the street from the pond to my side of the street and up to a neighbor's closed garage door. I don't know what happened after that, I was taking the kids to an appointment so i was driving past as it happened. Anyway - you are the poster that was incredibly freaked out by all the nature down here, right? I would really think twice about being on a pond or creek. You will have all sorts of interesting critters from gators to vultures and so on. I've seen otters and turtles, storks, armadillos, swarming dragonflies and lots of gorgeous sandhill cranes...everyday there is something amazing happening at the pond.

Now... how about that chubby shark they say they pulled ouf of phillipi creek?

Old 07-26-2011, 08:47 PM

Thanks, jnanner for the info. I am the poster who wrote about Palmetto Bugs and yes, I do have a phobia about them, silverfish and rats. Never gave a thought to alligators until we had dinner at Phillipi Creek and noticed the warning signs.

This does not make me 'freaked out about Florida Nature.' I am deeply involved in the environment and anything having to do with nature. I am a animal lover and have been involved with nature my entire life. However, I do not consider Palmetto Bugs something I want in my suitcase or my home. I draw the line where certain creatures are involved. Including Alligators.

D4g4m, thanks for your info. We discovered the house was on septic/well and we are not interested in the house. We lived with a septic/well for 40 yrs in NY and would not do it again. Although, I would love a well for gardening and pool.

Many of the homes in Florida are built around man-made lakes. I would prefer not to live near a lake.

My mind is made up and we will not look at homes on the water...unless is the gulf!

Old 07-26-2011, 10:13 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
we would be looking for one not adjacent to water either
too many neighborhoods don't allow fences----just hedges

we were just looking a couple of weeks ago and you really limit your choice if you say no water

Old 07-27-2011, 04:46 PM

18 posts, read 34,525 times
I never lived on water before, but now I'm on a canal and I'm not sorry.
It opened my eyes and curiosity about the water, what's in it, how the tides and weather affect it and sometimes it is just like having a work of art out back. The water looks different every time and it reflects the sky as well.

I guess it helps that I am interested in kayak'ing and sailing or I probably would let my fear of the unknown take over. But being out in the water means being able to see the birds and jumping fish and dolphins up close.
I get it that there are dangers, but I feel that it is worth it to live respectfully on the edge.

Charlie

Old 07-27-2011, 08:23 PM

Charlie, you are talking about salt water. I'm asking about fresh water canals and lakes. No alligators in salt water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area