Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 08:36 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
There used to be a Chart House down near the harbor in Baltimore - which Rushmore probably used as a comparison when expecting something nice. There is another in Annapolis. Each time I went to either of them, I enjoyed my experiences. I don't understand when they have the opportunity to offer fantastic food - to the large number of tourists that come by - they don't hold the standards of food and service to very high levels. It is mind boggling, because if they did that - they could fill a restaurant everynight the size of Walmart!! But, they don't.
I think the Chart House in Baltimore's Inner Harbor couldn't compete when the Oceannaire, Phillips (eew), and Mccormick and Schmick all appeared.

And why would anyone eat at the Chart House when you were in Baltimore or Annapolis anyway? There are SO many better seafood options in each.

But you're right about it here...if they trotted out a better all-around product and experience, they could virtually corner the market on lower-middle fine dining establishments (read: "smart casual, $25-$35 entrees) on Longboat, at the very least.

Instead, they do this. It's mystifying, and frankly, it's cheesy and annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Wow! Sounds terrible. Seems as though they have pretty much stayed the same over the years. I haven't been there in a long time but I had almost the same experience there years ago.

Have you been to Euphemia Haye on Longboat? My ex used to be one of the chefs there and I've known the owners for years. The meals there are usually very good and the desserts are to die for
Thanks for the reminder about Euphemia Haye. I have heard nothing but great things about it, Maison Blanche, and Beach Bistro.

I wonder if I can get a home equity loan.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:46 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
wontl help you much but the most amazing multiple course meal I have had was at Gordon Ramseys Maze in London.
we had 11 courses plus 3 VERY acceptable bottles of CHateu neuf du Pape, in what I can only describe as gastronomic heaven.

bill was over 950 bucks for the 3 of us -luckily the client was paying.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:54 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Thanks for the reminder about Euphemia Haye. I have heard nothing but great things about it, Maison Blanche, and Beach Bistro.

I wonder if I can get a home equity loan.
No problem. I haven't eaten there is years so I decided to check out some of the reviews online. Actually, it's been about 15 years. Yahoo, Yelp and Urban Spoon have mostly great reviews but there are a couple poor reviews.

I'll have to give Javier's a try. Never been there before.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
wontl help you much but the most amazing multiple course meal I have had was at Gordon Ramseys Maze in London.
we had 11 courses plus 3 VERY acceptable bottles of CHateu neuf du Pape, in what I can only describe as gastronomic heaven.

bill was over 950 bucks for the 3 of us -luckily the client was paying.
Oh my good lord, are you trying to be cruel?!

Please take a quick moment and try to recall and describe the food.

Also, I hope that meal took at least three hours.

I am so jealous right now, I have to stop typing.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I'll have to give Javier's a try. Never been there before.
It's a nice little surprise. casual, of course, and not what I would caall "refined," but it's a nice meal, and better than The Peruvian Grill on Beneva at Clark (which I actually like just fine, but doesn't really compare).

Dinner for two with a glass of wine or two might run $80 or $90.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:08 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
Quote:
Oh my good lord, are you trying to be cruel?!

Please take a quick moment and try to recall and describe the food.

Also, I hope that meal took at least three hours.

I am so jealous right now, I have to stop typing.
it took well over 3.
the client -we had made him some serious equity gain on his land and he
wanted to treat us. he knows GR so got us a table at MAze which is no mean feat.

the menu is a 'tasting' one -where you get small dishes.
we had 3 starters/cold , 4 hot/main and finished with 3 deserts

the mixture was amazing and spectacularly served
i couldnt talk you through them but each one combined different tastes and flavours amazingly. this maze - Menus - A la carte menu (http://www.gordonramsay.com/maze/menus/alacarte/ - broken link)
would give you some idea

it was without doubt the finest food i have had, the wine smooth, and to finish off the Maitre d gave us a tour of the kitchen !!

Old 07-31-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
it took well over 3.
the client -we had made him some serious equity gain on his land and he
wanted to treat us. he knows GR so got us a table at MAze which is no mean feat.

the menu is a 'tasting' one -where you get small dishes.
we had 3 starters/cold , 4 hot/main and finished with 3 deserts

the mixture was amazing and spectacularly served
i couldnt talk you through them but each one combined different tastes and flavours amazingly. this maze - Menus - A la carte menu (http://www.gordonramsay.com/maze/menus/alacarte/ - broken link)
would give you some idea

it was without doubt the finest food i have had, the wine smooth, and to finish off the Maitre d gave us a tour of the kitchen !!
I literally spent more last night for food that I probably could have gotten at Mattison's.

I'm glad someone's having a nice time eating.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:20 PM

386 posts, read 1,015,421 times
Quote:
So I made the mistake of allowing my mother-in-law to book a table for dinner, and, through no fault of her own, she fell for the BS recommendation (read: kickback referral) given her by the resort where she is staying. So...to the Chart House for "fine dining."

There were four of us and a baby. We walk in, and the 20 year old hostess behind the desk (who was inexplicably wearing an Abercrombie hoodie, in spite of the waiters scurrying around in ties) says "would you like a sling for THAT?", referring to our 3 month old.

Great start.

She hands us off to a second twenty year old hostess, who was wearing a skirt so tight and unbecoming, it was actually laughable. I will not elaborate here, but one might assume pole dancing is in her future. She walked ten feet ahead of us to our table.

Our waiter was capable and friendly, but he did try to get over on me in a really tacky way. There was a surf and turf entree on the menu for $30 (short rib and scallops). I asked him how it was, and he said, "Just your luck, tonight's surf and turf is very special! It is a lobster tail and a filet!" I said, "yes, that does sound good. OK, let's do that, medium rare please. I assume it's the same price, right?" And he said "Well, no, sir. It is $45."

Welcome to tourist trap hell.

My $13 glass of wine tasted like Yellowtail or something. The second one I got was passable, but only passable.

My chopped spinach salad was delicious. The other appetizers (soups and lobster skewers) were amazingly mediocre and shockingly overpriced.

The entrees were $30+ each. They were absolutely no better than at other restaurants at half the price. Saucy fish, quarter-sized scallops, fatty short ribs, shrimpy shrimp. The "grilled asparagus" came out steamed and with no flavor added whatsoever. I can steam my own asparagus. The potatoes were good, but I can do them myself and save the $300 we spent.

Can anyone tell me if there is any decent fine dining in Sarasota? The only two candidates we have not yet tried are the Maison Blanche and The Beach Bistro. Closest we've come is the Bijou, and even that was just "good."

I am losing faith.
I drove by The Chart House and it looked intriguing but after I googled some reviews decided to pass. Our most recent disappointment was at Armani's, the Northern Italian upscale 17th floor restaurant in the Grand Hyatt in Tampa. The $ 13 a glass burgundy was good, as well as the calamari appetizer, but that was where it began and ended. At least we had a $ 50 restaurant.com certificate to mitigate some of the damage. I'm beginning to think we should start vetting these establishments by ONLY having a glass of wine and an appetizer before committing to dinner on another evening if the food (on other tables) seems deserving.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:28 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Is Cafe L'Europe still on St. Armand's Circle? French cuisine, not a chain as far as I know, and it was certainly MY idea of finer-than-normal dining, not sure if it would be yours. I didn't try Euphemiah because their menu looked a little heavy for me, but it does get good reviews. If you like sushi, Ocean Star is in a strip mall on Anna Maria Island, but I thought theirs was excellent.

I really HATE when I'm visiting somewhere special, looking for a restaurant with some local ambience, and someone wants to go to a chain restaurant. I was in Boston on business, and a local suggested Legal Seafood. A local! I was visiting Fort Myers and wanted to take friends out to dinner, and they wanted to go to the new Outback. Ugh!!! I refused....and found a nice beachside restaurant with a view. I was in Marina Del Rey on business, and my co-workers picked guess-where for dinner -- Chart House! I got the ahi appetizer -- it was horrid....a couple huge slabs o' tuna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area