Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 07:19 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,375,749 times

Advertisements

Ummm, you must have missed the part where she said Willow reimbursed her for gas expenses, meaning she was WITH her and didn't have her young daughter out on the streets alone at night. Why can't we be positive for this young lady? Sometimes jealousy just rears it's ugly head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 08:06 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
Wow! Firstly congrats! That is amazing and you must be very proud!

Ignore the fools who make negative remarks.

On the reality show issue, people like the Kardashians and Paris Hilton have reality shows only because of their looks. What exactly do these people bring to the table? A sex tape. Nothing else.

Other reality shows like The Apprentice (not celebrity but the first couple of seasons of the regular one), Pawn Stars, Deadliest Catch, Face Off, Project Runway etc bring something to the table because of what they can do that others can't or by using their brains.

These reality shows have helped their careers and helped them make millions.

Look at all the celebrity chefs; they have all made serious bank by showcasing their talents.

Direct Willow's career that way.

Good luck!

Old 03-14-2012, 08:45 AM

173 posts, read 345,725 times
I do think its great that Willow is not doing stupid things, that some people her age are doing. My opinion is just that it seems that it is based on your situation. There is nothing wrong with what she did. My only thing is that there is that Willow is being praised because she was able to do something most people can't only because of you. Perhaps I am cynical, and it annoys me that her profit was selling other people's stuff. I admit was a harsh in my other post. I'm Not trying to be mean. Best wishes to you and Willow.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:56 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,924,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayman29 View Post
Perhaps I am cynical, and it annoys me that her profit was selling other people's stuff.
Why would that annoy you? Willow saw something that others didn't and she worked hard and profited. She exemplifies the entrepreneurial spirit that made this country great. This is a lesson that can't be taught in any school and will do her well in life.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:42 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,930,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasotadreams View Post
Sounds like this young lady is street smart like her mom. A lot of kids get pushed but don't resond this young lady has.

Personally I wouldn't have my 14 year old child out on the streets of North Port or any other neighborhood taking apart bunk beds at 10pm. So did she carry the bunk bed home piece by piece?

I think Child Protective Services would frown on this. Kudos to this child for being a street hustler and now getting national attention for it.

Best for her would be a few moments of fame pull in some bucks for it & get back to the real world. Yes the real world, not scavenging the streets where god forbid something could happen to her.

Nothing good comes of a 14 year old being out alone on the streets at 10 at night.

Best wishes hoping for a good ending here !
We went together in my car and picked the bunk bed up. I helped her take it apart. Yes she skateboards around the neighborhood and looks for unwanted stuff.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:47 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
See if you can talk to some agents when in LA. Do they call them Talent Agents? There are agencies that have groups of them, right?

Keep in mind, some folks try to get this opportunity for years...just the opportunity. Grasp it. And have fun.

You should be able to get quick discussions with Talent Agents, given the situation at hand, since the offers are already coming your way.

If you don't have someone negotiating on your family's behalf, you can possibly sign a contract that is one-sided. Try to be careful and get someone that knows the industry and can represent your family properly.

Be careful about what you say on this board and in general. In time, if your family becomes famous(wow!!!), everything that you say online can become newsworthy and twisted and taken out of context.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:55 AM

338 posts, read 1,012,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
We went together in my car and picked the bunk bed up. I helped her take it apart. Yes she skateboards around the neighborhood and looks for unwanted stuff.
You can see it's starting already- the onslaught of public opinion on your parenting and other life style choices. You will need a thick skin and so will all your children.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:59 PM

241 posts, read 480,267 times
Wow I guess the way I make a living is wrong too. I profit from items unwanted by others. I have an online business selling items I have gotten either free or cheaply because others no longer wanted or needed them. I have also gotten items from CL, Freecycle and the curb to re-sell. One man's TRASH is another man's Treasure. Isn't that what business is based on? Buy low, sell high? Willow is smart enough to realize there is value in other's castoffs.
Also how is it wrong to take advantage of a family members knowledge and contacts? In the business world that is called networking. And so Willow at 14 is an entrepreneur because she had not only the right contacts, but the wherewithall to use all her resources to do something that most kids her age don't have a clue about. That is why she should get the praise and recognition.Kudos to Willow and her parents!

Old 03-14-2012, 09:12 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
As everyone can see, there are positive and negative comments regarding Willow's new fame. These are issues everyone who achieves some kind of stardom, long or short-lived, will have to deal with regularly. Usually, the more successful people become, the more attention they get, and the more positive & negative publicity they'll receive. I'm the last person to talk about having thick skin, but self-esteem and learning to accept rejection are very important when you're in the public eye. I wish your family a lot of luck and success.

Edit: She seems very mature in this video.

[url]http://www.winknews.com/Local-Florida/2012-03-13/14-year-old-buys-foreclosed-home-in-Port-Charlotte[/url]

I hope everything goes well on the Ellen Show. I don't blame you for being overwhelmed, Shannon. Anyone would be feeling anxious with so much going on in her life!

Last edited by justNancy; 03-14-2012 at 09:33 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 12:59 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasotadreams View Post
Sounds like this young lady is street smart like her mom. A lot of kids get pushed but don't resond this young lady has.

Personally I wouldn't have my 14 year old child out on the streets of North Port or any other neighborhood taking apart bunk beds at 10pm. So did she carry the bunk bed home piece by piece?

I think Child Protective Services would frown on this. Kudos to this child for being a street hustler and now getting national attention for it.

Best for her would be a few moments of fame pull in some bucks for it & get back to the real world. Yes the real world, not scavenging the streets where god forbid something could happen to her.

Nothing good comes of a 14 year old being out alone on the streets at 10 at night.

Best wishes hoping for a good ending here !
Wow, with all the ***** kids get into, you have to diss this one? One who has gumption, entrepreneurial spirit, doesn't buy into the drug/sex culture and you think CPS should be involved?

Give. Me. A. Break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area