Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 01:01 PM

499 posts, read 581,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Absurd. I always like her and read most of her posts.

You tell me. How many people who buy these houses to flip are willing to give away what the last owners left? Where are the stats? How many homes come up for $12,000 in the USA unless they're near hovels?

I also wish her the best.... and she loves animals and in my book that's a plus.
How many 14 year olds manage to save $6000 in eighteen months? Willow didn't just save that through her mother being an Estate Agent. Willow went to Sales and spent her time trawling through what other people were throwing away. That took some dedication. I have nothing but admiration for her and for her parents for bringing up such a great kid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 03:01 PM

17,538 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I don't think you are being mean-spirited or spiteful, per se. I understand your point but I think you are missing what it is that this story is about...an interesting, good news, feel good story about a kid that is doing something that is, at the very least, extraordinary. I'm sure you'll agree that a 14 year old having an ownership position in real estate is extraordinary under any circumstance. And, the fact that Willow is obviously bright, well spoken, and has an infectious personality on camera makes her story an attractive commodity to the media.
Exactly! ^^^

Old 03-21-2012, 03:35 PM

398 posts, read 822,685 times
My son delivered papers at the age of 10 every night after school, and every weekend very early. My son collected empty cans and recycled them for cash. My son started caddying for golfers when he was 12 during the summers off from school. When my son was 14 he got a work permit and bagged groceries after school, nights, and weekends, when he wasn't studying. He worked while attending high school and college. Whatever he earned went for what scholarships didn't cover in college fees & expenses.

The best thing this young lady had going for her was her mom's connections and the ability to do what her mom told her to do.

There always have and always will be millions of kids that work at early ages and pay their own way.

I admire this young lady and hope she goes far in the world.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
"something almost any teenager would do"? Really? Most of them I know spend their money as soon as it hits their palm.
This story does remind me a little bit of me at her age though. And not only because I had an identical "shag" haircut as they called it back then. I lived on a dairy farm when I was her age, and I made money by buying calves at sales, raising them, taking them to shows, where they always did really well, and then selling them as adults. I made a LOT of money, and put myself through college. AND I had an expensive lifestyle while I was in college.
Now, it's easy to say I had an advantage, as you say about Willow, because my dad was a dairy farmer. True. BUT I had two sisters, and they never did this.
I have the greatest admiration for you! I think Willow will do really well too, just as you did. I think we should remember her young age and those who are unkind would do well to remember that she is still just a child and may have problems coping with negative remarks. This obviously isn't meant for you Mrs. Cool but for other posters who haven't been as positive as you.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:02 PM

655 posts, read 1,129,372 times
OMG....all I can think about is if this poor 14 year old girl is reading these posts and seeing that people are thinking that what she is doing isn't "amazing". How demotivating that would be!

You know, there are certainly a lot of teenagers out there that do things like Willow and aren't recognized for it and I think that is sad. We spend a lot of time grumbling about how young people feel entitled and they have no work ethic. But when one comes along that clearly is making a way for herself and contributing to her own future....instead of celebrating the accomplishments people are nay sayers. Do I think that this is reality show territory? Probably not, but I am pretty sure that wasn't Willow's goal anyway.

Let's let this girl have her moment in the sun and be recognized for doing something productive, regardless of her connections. These are the people that are going to be our future leaders and we need all the entreprenurial spirit we can get.

Go get'em Willow!

Old 03-21-2012, 05:22 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,924,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I don't think you are being mean-spirited or spiteful, per se. I understand your point but I think you are missing what it is that this story is about...an interesting, good news, feel good story about a kid that is doing something that is, at the very least, extraordinary. I'm sure you'll agree that a 14 year old having an ownership position in real estate is extraordinary under any circumstance. And, the fact that Willow is obviously bright, well spoken, and has an infectious personality on camera makes her story an attractive commodity to the media.
Spot on! I love the people who say any kid would do this if given the chance. Really? Willow is a statistical outlier, she will do well in life because she has that vision to see through to the goal. Unusual for a person her age...

Old 03-21-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whakru View Post
OMG....all I can think about is if this poor 14 year old girl is reading these posts and seeing that people are thinking that what she is doing isn't "amazing". How demotivating that would be!

You know, there are certainly a lot of teenagers out there that do things like Willow and aren't recognized for it and I think that is sad. We spend a lot of time grumbling about how young people feel entitled and they have no work ethic. But when one comes along that clearly is making a way for herself and contributing to her own future....instead of celebrating the accomplishments people are nay sayers. Do I think that this is reality show territory? Probably not, but I am pretty sure that wasn't Willow's goal anyway.

Let's let this girl have her moment in the sun and be recognized for doing something productive, regardless of her connections. These are the people that are going to be our future leaders and we need all the entreprenurial spirit we can get.

Go get'em Willow!
Well said

Old 03-22-2012, 12:28 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,930,209 times
Thanks for all the comments-positive and negative. We leave in about an hour to head to the FOX studios to film The Willis Report. I believe it's going to be live at 5pm EST. I'm hoping they will just want Willow to talk.

We have spoken with many producers and I think we've finally narrowed it down to one to work with on a show. The show will feature Willow and three other young entrepreneurs. They will fly out here and make what's called a "sizzle reel" then the producers will pitch that to the networks. I figure if Hillbilly Handfishing has a show, Willow has a pretty good chance of being picked up

Thanks again for all of the comments and support!

Old 03-22-2012, 01:53 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Beats what someone who I use to work with, his kid did; he got $10k from a car injury and took that money and blew it on a car and moddifying the car. Then he wrecks the car (not his fault) and instead of fixing the car, he buys a half built better car that needs a few thousand dollars more work.

So now he has no money, and two cars that do not work; his parents are not good with money either, so he learned from the best!

Old 03-22-2012, 03:31 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,375,749 times
Willow has a great shot. Hillbilly Handfishin', Duck Dynasty and Mud Cats all have really BAD shows. Betting Willow can do much better!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area