Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 03:34 PM

531 posts, read 1,161,596 times

Advertisements

So excited for Willow.....she's really amazing, and.......so are YOU! I don't think I could put on a "meat" dress....fake meat or not!! Good luck with everything, and thanks so much for the update! :-D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 04:59 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,098,224 times
That's amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Old 02-14-2013, 11:22 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,915,473 times
Here's the story from the front page of the North Port Sun today. Unfortunately, Lady Gaga has canceled her entire tour due to a leg injury and the need for surgery:

Teen entrepreneur aims for Gaga, third home

By ELAINE ALLEN-EMRICH
North Port Community News Editor

NORTH PORT — At 15, Willow Tufano’s to-do list is nearly complete. The North Port teen wanted to meet talk show host Ellen Degeneres, President Obama and Lady Gaga, and to own a few homes by her 18th birthday.

In 2008, Willow camped outside of Ed Smith Stadium in Sarasota to meet Obama when he first ran for office. They met, he signed her book and they hugged.

In 2012, Willow was given a $10,000 Ace Hardware gift card from an amazed Degeneres after she learned the then-14-year-old bought a house in Port Charlotte. The gift, presented to Willow on TV during the “Ellen” show, was used to refurbish the home and rent it. Degeneres sought Willow out because she was impressed with her entrepreneurial skills used to buy the $12,000 house with her own money. Willow’s mother, Shannon Moore, a local Realtor, co-owns the home with her.

Dubbed “Florida’s youngest landlord,” Willow explained how she saved up her money over a year. The young entrepreneur bought and sold hundreds of items, including longboards and video games, on Craigslist, eBay and other online sites, and garage sales. She also charmed her grandfather Don into taking her to “rich” Sarasota neighborhoods on garbage day to find “treasures.”

Since then, Willow has appeared on or has been quoted in the Huffington Post, CNN, “FOX & Friends,” ABC World News, NPR, “Home & Family” on the Hallmark Channel, the Daily Mail and dozens more.

Very often while being interviewed, Willow, who is home-schooled, wears shirts featuring Lady Gaga. She also figures out how to incorporate her “inspiration” from the pop star into her story.

Now, Willow will try something harder than flipping her second home — which she bought for $17,500 in Port Charlotte and recently sold for $19,500. She will attempt to get a hug from Lady Gaga next month, traveling from Tampa to Miami in her quest to meet the mother of all “Little Monsters” (what Gaga calls her fans).

“My mom and I have tickets to all three of her shows in Florida,” Willow said. “I’ve done my research and know what I need to do to try to meet Lady Gaga. When I do, my mom will be in a (fabric) ‘meat’ dress and I will be dressed like a unicorn with purple hair. I’m so excited.”

Gaga traditionally treats the first person in line to her concert with a behind-the-scenes peek at her show before bringing the lucky guest onstage during a song.

“We are prepared,” Moore said. “I’ve bought solar-powered cellphone chargers, a tent, blankets, food, Snuggies, the game Twister and lots of other supplies to camp out. I’ve spent $1,500 trying to make sure we have everything ready for this show.”

Between playing Twister with other fans who likely will join in the camp out, Willow plans to try to sell some items via Craigslist. Meanwhile, her mother will be filming footage for a reality show the pair is pitching, “Teenage Landlord.” Two networks are reviewing a 30-minute pilot idea and a four-minute trailer featuring highlights of Willow’s purchase of the two homes, selling gently used items, her stint on “Ellen,” and the demolition of the walls and cabinets in the home she recently sold.

“I’m going to buy another house,” Willow said. “I’m a little preoccupied right now with trying to meet Lady Gaga, but I will soon refocus on another home. I’ve got my eye on beachfront property.”

Email: eallen@sun-herald.com

A DAY IN THE LIFE
Footage of 15-year-old Willow Tufano on YouTube shows snippets of her adventures buying houses, collecting rent, selling items and just being a typical teenager.

To see it, go to
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fDX5bhZuVc. It’s titled “Teenage Landlord Reality Show Trailer.”

Willow hopes a network will pick up the extended footage for a reality show. It was shot by North Port videographer Joey Durango, who filmed her closing on her second home, as well as the demolition of the inside of the house and the discovery of a dead opossum in the garage.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:44 PM

I've gotten several DMs lately asking how or what Willow is up to. She did an interview this afternoon with HuffPost Live, here's a link to it: HuffPost Live

For those of you who don't know, Willow is my 17 year old daughter, who purchased a home at the age if 14 and another at the age of 15. She was featured on The Ellen Show and has done over 185 National and International interviews and now she has started her own clothing company.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:40 PM

147 posts, read 173,609 times
Awesome! My husband and I just watched this whole video. Shannon, your daughter is AMAZING, truly, and I'm sure she didn't fall far from the tree I know you are so proud of her! I've thought this since I read about Willow in an earlier article you posted, as well, as watching her on Ellen. I just love how her brain works and hope our daughter has the same head on her shoulders as she does, and that we can raise our daughter with the same business sense as Willow, (our daughter is only 9 months old, but never too early to bore her with business news or stocks, right?). Anyway, thanks for posting. Love reading her updates and what's she's been up to in all her 17 years of life.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmerthy View Post
Awesome! My husband and I just watched this whole video. Shannon, your daughter is AMAZING, truly, and I'm sure she didn't fall far from the tree I know you are so proud of her! I've thought this since I read about Willow in an earlier article you posted, as well, as watching her on Ellen. I just love how her brain works and hope our daughter has the same head on her shoulders as she does, and that we can raise our daughter with the same business sense as Willow, (our daughter is only 9 months old, but never too early to bore her with business news or stocks, right?). Anyway, thanks for posting. Love reading her updates and what's she's been up to in all her 17 years of life.
Thanks for the kudos Kimmerthy! I think it starts with giving your children opportunities at a young age. Start by taking them to art galleries, reading to them, spending a lot of time with them. Funny thing is, I'd probably read the stock to my kids out loud at that age. They're like little sponges and pick up everything. My little one, who's 10, is starting an organic fruit and vegetable stand and she's growing her own produce. She wanted some remote control dog and she knows she'll have to work to get it. I believe kids respect things more if they have to put some effort into getting them. She's also having a blast learning about all of her plants, watering them and watching them fruit.

Willow is extremely motivated and I have no doubt she'll do well with whatever she chooses. She says she doesn't ever want to work for someone else. At the age of 6 she started Money of Mutts and had everyone donate the money to the local animal shelter instead of getting her presents. Then she brought all the kids there to deliver the items. Since she was about 12 she's paid all of her own expenses-except housing and food. She pays for her own clothes, phone, trip to Chicago every other month, etc. And at the age of 14 she bought her first home and at 15 her second. She also gives speeches all around the country and talks about her ADHD. She dropped out of the local gifted school (Pine View in Osprey) at 14, stopped taking her medicine and decided she wanted to buy homes and start her own business. She now does online school, where she can get up and go outside or whatever if she cant focus. She does her school in the evening and runs her business in the daytime. She been doing this since she was 14. I'm behind behind her 100%.

I give my kids a lot of growing room and they respect that. I'm there to support them but not smother them.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:13 PM

288 posts, read 452,583 times
Wow, Willow is going a mile a minute Congrats, to both of you

Old 04-06-2015, 11:15 AM

For those of you still following Willow, she will be on Next Big Thing Radio out of California on April 13th: 'Conversations Ep. 15' - Willow Tufano - Next Big Thing Radio Tune in to check out her latest interview!

Old 04-08-2015, 10:11 AM

707 posts, read 1,051,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
That is not possible. A minor cannot be a party to a legally binding contract of any kind, in FL or anywhere else.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:34 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,998,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpbarr2000 View Post
That is not possible. A minor cannot be a party to a legally binding contract of any kind, in FL or anywhere else.
If you had read the article, you would have read this:

"Willow wound up splitting the house with her mom. Willow plans to buy her mom out in the next few years, and put her name on the title when she turns 18."

Last edited by coastal chic; 04-08-2015 at 11:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area