Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 10:16 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
Don't forget mud slides and earthquakes. Earthquakes, by the way, are not found just in California and Alaska. Recent stories say the New Madrid fault in the midwest is becoming more active. If the big one hits you can kiss Memphis good bye.
Don't forget about the big fault that runs under Charleston, SC. That will hurt the entire eastern seaboard and Atlanta, Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 08:10 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Since hurricanes head inland and run up the US, that's a HUGE area that shouldn't be rebuilt.

Nor should anyone be allowed to build near any rivers or lakes, mountains, or an an area susceptible to fires.

That rules out every major city in the United States, the east and west coasts and just about anywhere except the desert.

Someone tell LA, NYC, Boston, DC, Miami, Chicago, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Cleveland et al to start packing.
Reps for that ^^^. How about tornadoes in the midwest? And I've seen flash floods in some states do more damage than any hurricane.

Insurance is such a scam. NO PLACE is safe from catastrophe. We need a better system.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:20 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debvic View Post
You got it! There are some areas in each part of the country that just should not be encouraged to build/ rebuild on. Not every part of every state. There are plenty of lower risk areas already established . You can't control nature or the weather but everyone should not have to pay for you to live in high risk locations.insurance companies already know statistically which areas are at greatest risk, but its not just the people who choose to live there that pay a higher price for the privilege. The cost is spread out to all of us even if we don't get the benefits of such a choice.

I agree! Just read an article where both scientists and economists think something needs to be done in that too many people in the U.S. live too close to coastlines.
As everyone knows, they predict Orlando to be "South Florida" within I think it's 20-50 years.
This will happen gradually by hurricanes.

Ft Lauderdale beach is still a mess from Sandy, and they weren't even hit.

I wouldn't blame insurance companies from pulling out of Florida, and IMO, you should only live here if you have the funds to rebuild yourself (not that I do), and if you elect to buy a condo/home on or near the water.. good for you.. but you should be on your own with that.
Beaches erode. It's a fact of life.

Yes mother nature plays tricks everywhere.. but hurricanes?
Look at what the poor people in NJ are dealing with.
Had that hit Florida.. the state would have been leveled, and to stick your head in the sand about it.. .is just irresponsible.. Unless you have the money to rebuild on your own.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:49 AM

453 posts, read 1,742,550 times
I wasn't trying to open a debate on where to live. For all we know the entire Federal flood program could go belly up in a few years' time. Many have argued that had it never been adopted, most of the coastline would still be fishing shacks that no one cared about losing.

However, given what is available, I urge you to review your policy limits and raise them if they are inadequate. Trust me, the additional premium cost will not be remembered if you encounter what we are going through here.

Rhys

Old 12-05-2012, 08:59 AM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile Really good info to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysNJ View Post
That's on the dwelling, plus $100,000 of contents. That's the NFIP/FEMA program backed by the Federal Government. There is a market for excess flood insurance in the Surplus Lines market in most states, even in the standard market in a few cases. Often very expensive, commensurate with the risk.

Rhys
Rhys -
Thanks for that info. I'm well aware of the $250K dwelling but was not aware of the excess flood available. I'm a mortgage broker in Florida and I live near the coast - would not live anywhere else - I'm a water girl; what can I say?

Anyway, a lot of us here in Florida really feel for all those affected and many here talk about wonderful memories growing up near NJ and visiting in NJ and going down the shore.

Good luck and prayers to all in NJ especially.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:51 AM

338 posts, read 1,012,507 times
My point is that no matter where you live there are low risk and high areas in each state. If you choose to live in the high risk areas be prepared that all this insurance that allows you to rebuild now probably will not exist in the near future. Either companies will not offer it or it wil be cost prohibative in the near future. Then there is the risk of life factor for all our first responders who have to go in to save people and put out fires etc. I'm just trying to say its illogical to keep throwing good money after bad . If you choose to live in high risk( not just any state that has some areas of concern) then you should be prepared to foot the expense yourself. Since very few among us can afford to rebuild our homes let alone roads,bridges and businesses I think you will see a shift to low vulnerability locations. The insurance companies and local,state and federal government will not be able to continually bail you out. I come from the north east and the town I grew up in never flooded, was not subject to earthquakes or mudslides. There are many such areas all over the US .

Old 12-05-2012, 09:58 AM

329 posts, read 775,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysNJ View Post
I wasn't trying to open a debate on where to live. For all we know the entire Federal flood program could go belly up in a few years' time. Many have argued that had it never been adopted, most of the coastline would still be fishing shacks that no one cared about losing.

However, given what is available, I urge you to review your policy limits and raise them if they are inadequate. Trust me, the additional premium cost will not be remembered if you encounter what we are going through here.

Rhys
thanks for your info, sorry about your flooding. no debate from me about it

Old 12-05-2012, 05:49 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
As everyone knows, they predict Orlando to be "South Florida" within I think it's 20-50 years.
This will happen gradually by hurricanes.

That is the craziest thing I've heard in a long time. Whomever "they" are are trying to scam you. At that rate, Key West would be under water next year.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:10 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
That is the craziest thing I've heard in a long time. Whomever "they" are are trying to scam you. At that rate, Key West would be under water next year.
It's only 5 ft per year. The sea rose at least that much each year when we lived in FL.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:17 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,004,461 times
The sea level has not and does not raise 5ft per year. My gosh people. We've been here 3 yrs and it has not risen an inch (i am on the water). My elevation cert goes back 18 yrs. It was 9ft back then and guess what? It's still 9ft!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area