Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 06:56 AM

6 posts, read 8,665 times

Advertisements

I lived in my motor home on Siesta Key for over ten years at what was then Gulf Beach Campground..it is now Turtle Beach Campground..

I shopped in Sarasota, ate at the restaurants, and visited many of the great places Sarasota has to offer... Parks , Museums, Gardens, libraries , etc

I found people were just people.. Coming there from all over the world..
Still have many friends I made then and keep in touch.. Many of them relocated to Sarasota after visiting there.

Every year The Sarasota Arts Council has an Exibit at Island Park called " Embracing Our Differences"
I was privileged to be a part of the exibit one year..

I find Sarasota a wonderful place to live and hopefully can return there someday..

Take care
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 10:20 PM

528 posts, read 867,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travlin'grl View Post
This feels like a strange post to be writing, but this is something I'd really like to know.

Sarasota is a city I'm considering moving to from Northern California. There are so many things that seem really appealing about Sarasota, certainly among them, the great people on this board who do such a great job in honestly answering questions about their home town!

I moved to California from Delray Beach, thirty years ago, so Florida is not completely new territory. My mom lived in Cocoa until she died a few years ago and my brother lives in Miami.
Although I've enjoyed many things about Northern California, it feels like time to move on and I'd love warmer weather and swimmable ocean. Hawaii might be wonderful, but could also prove problematic in a few ways (my husband works remotely and there's concern about how well this would translate within his job).

I would not be completely happy in an area lacking in ethnic diversity. My daughter lives in Washington State (and loves it) and this is one of the first things she noticed there.

This evening I had a question about a house for sale in Sarasota. I went to the (large and prestigious) realtor's website. Because I can never leave well enough alone , I began looking at the realtors photos. Many offices (and at least 50 photos) later, it was just a sea of white faces. And unnaturally colored hair (have at it!).
It was, what I would have have thought of as, my parents Florida. And I don't want that.

I've read the statistics. Where I live you see people of all colors and ethnicities, in all walks of life.
Is this the case in Sarasota?
Am I being overly sensitive?

Please understand; the idea that people are "open minded" in California is highly overrated.
One of the things that annoys me the most about the community in which I live is the assumption that everyone has the same politics. I'm averse to putting people in any kind of "box".

Thanks so much for not making assumptions about me and offering reasonable answers.
As long as you don't bring your NorCal ways and promise to not tell your friends, then come. Otherwise stay home. I am trying to leave NorCal now to return and I do not encourage anyone else to come if all they are going to do is change it into what they left. I have first hand experience living in this god for saken area to know so, ya if you're going to come and embrace FL and not try to change it into SF, then fine.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
If you have read the statistics, you know we have diversity here.

That said, there isn't as much integration here as you will find where you are coming from. Don't get me wrong; there isn't any open hostility that I can detect, but we're just not really all eating at the same lunch table either.

It is a shame, of course, but it is the truth.

On the other hand, you find people where you look. I mean, turning over every rock in Lakewood Ranch or Palmer Ranch looking for diversity isn't going to get you too far. Downtown, you will see a lot more mingling amongst people of all hues. Same with Southside Village.

So I guess, just like everywhere else, the younger and more educated the immediate area, the better-integrated it will be.

Go figure.

I could be way off base. This is just a casual observation. No need for anyone to excoriate me for what I perceive.
Good, why should everywhere be like the Gay area of SF anyhow? Failed democratic policy after failed democratic policy. Theres already enough East Coasters in FL, we sure don't need an influx of west coasters. She needs to live with the fact that each area in the USA is different and cannot try to force a change as a new person. If she doesn't like segregation, she should stay home and also, CA is VERY segregated. Don't believe the hype about how everyones all integrated, it isn't. Its a more racist state than FL even. You see how the gangs in SoCal are and everyone just sticks to their enclaves so I don't feel it is going to be any different for her if she expects some liberal utopia in Sarasota/Tampa.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
If you want diversity, check metro Miami. Seems the larger metro areas, especially Miami, have a bigger melting pot of diversity.
Yea but then she will complain there too, oh its too humid, its too homophobic oh noez! Theres just hispanic conservative homophobes and not many other races!

Miami is socially conservative whether you know it or not.. She wouldn't like there either lol. Portland OR is more her speed I can tell.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travlin'grl View Post
Thanks so much for your thoughtful responses.
This gives me a good idea of what I wanted to know.

From what you all have said, Sarasota isn't a place where I'll find a huge mix of people of color (and this refers to all colors) but isn't a particularly racist city either. Let's face it, we all make assumptions about each other based on numerous things, race being just one factor.
I see no reason everyone has to think the same way. That makes for a pretty boring scenario. But I do like to see people on some sort of equal footing.

I appreciate the Miami suggestion but it's not a city that interests me. I prefer a smaller, more low key area at this point and Sarasota appears to be that.

Blueherons; we each choose what's important to us in this life be it racial diversity, warm weather or both. Would you ask why someone wanted warm weather?

Gypsychic; I'll look at neighborhoods you've suggested.

Thanks again.
Thank you so very much for making the right decision. Much appreciated. It would only pose a problem if you had stayed I feel. I am in NorCal now and I am so not fit to be there and hate Californian attitudes so, win win here. Pick Portland or somewhere like that.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I know exactly what you mean. I have been to places like you describe, and we once had a vacation place where I felt uncomfortable due to lack of tolerance from very "in-your-face" leftist types. I see it in postings on various forums here, as well.

One of the things I really love about Sarasota/Bradenton is the fact that there are literally all types of people here, all types of religions including new age, LBGT, etc. etc. and there is tolerance and acceptance for everyone, with no one "pushing anything" at you. Hope you get what I mean. I feel very comfortable here, everyone just seems to get along. It is definitely more conservative than where you are coming from, but to me, that is a good thing. I like things "middle-of-the-road."
I'll tell you, I seen the Sacramento area and I even think theres more conservative parts of California than Bradenton could ever be even. Bradenton/Sarasota looks liberal compared to say Rocklin or Auburn CA or even Roseville and for sure more towards Reno and into Nevada itself. I find Tampa Bay conservatism is better as it may have mildly liberal pockets, maybe tiny corners where its highly liberal like St Pete but overall is in a red area so theres more room for job growth too unlike anywhere with high democratic policies.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californianz View Post
I'm relocated here from CA (as the screen name implies). It has taken some adjustment to some types of people in FL, but for the most part it's no different than anywhere else - there are good and bad. Sarasota is a lot more urban than I expected it to be... it's not like SLO or something.

It all depends of what you do and where you go - if you join a country club then maybe it's not going to be wildly diverse - but if you went to the recent Hip-Hop Gala that would be a little different. lol Not diverse there either though really, in it's own microcosm.

The #1 question everyone in FL asks? "Where are you from??" Migrants seem to dominate the population here, so it is actually is interesting mix of people from all kinds of places...mostly East coasters, Canadians and Euros.

Seeking "diversity" almost implies a kind of reverse prejudice though if you think about it - but everyone is entitled to go wherever they like. Presuming how others will treat someone is making a lot of assumptions - but it's also human nature to fear people who look scary - regardless if they look like "the man" or a motorcycle gang member.

BTW if you don't like old people, stay away from FL.
But you do know, CA is becoming the new retirement state right? Maybe not with 100 yr olds or over in high high amounts like FL but once all these ones in FL die off, all that will be left is Californias old baby boomers by that time.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:39 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,348,358 times
In a thousand years we'll all have mixed together enough we'll all look like Brazilians and it wont matter any more.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:33 AM

509 posts, read 907,458 times
Brazilians have race & class issues as well.
It's human nature, unfortunately.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:49 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
Sarasota is not diverse like California.
While diversity exists here, you won't be blown away by the varied and colorful rainbow of humanity in Sarasota. It's pretty whitewashed. Generally speaking of course.

There are pockets of diversity, but nothing to compare to California. and by "pockets of diversity" what I mean is there are African American areas and that's pretty much it.

Last edited by OptimusPrime69; 09-04-2014 at 07:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area