Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 12:14 PM

509 posts, read 907,458 times

Advertisements

I may be wrong, but wasn't there more Mexicans 9 or 10 years ago in the Sarasota area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 12:57 PM

251 posts, read 409,469 times
Our neighborhood has over 80 homes under construction right now primarily by Mexican workers. I'm not sure where they live though.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:18 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,143,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frida7 View Post
I may be wrong, but wasn't there more Mexicans 9 or 10 years ago in the Sarasota area?

they left because the economy sucks. they went home and are now coming back as school kids. cant prove that 28 year old isnt 12. no documentation, its just their word. now they will get more pesos for doing nothing instead of working.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:42 PM

509 posts, read 907,458 times
If you can't tell a 28 yr old from a 12 yr old, I have some investment opportunities I'd like to discuss with you.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:31 PM

440 posts, read 1,053,045 times
I usually cut thru on Tuttle to go south and avoid 41. I've noticed that the elementary school there appears to have a very diverse population. Also, you will notice many Peruvian restaurants and Mexican restaurants here both catering to economically diverse hispanic tastes.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:37 AM

528 posts, read 867,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
In a thousand years we'll all have mixed together enough we'll all look like Brazilians and it wont matter any more.
Oh it still will.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Sarasota is not diverse like California.
While diversity exists here, you won't be blown away by the varied and colorful rainbow of humanity in Sarasota. It's pretty whitewashed. Generally speaking of course.

There are pockets of diversity, but nothing to compare to California. and by "pockets of diversity" what I mean is there are African American areas and that's pretty much it.
Some parts of CA I know are very white washed and the multicultural areas have more whiter blacks overall like Midtown Sac. Like if you want to make a case for FL having more diversity you can, not Sarasota a ton but say compare Miami to a lot of California urban areas. Miami has more diversity. Cubans, Jamaicans, Haitians, the only thing that's missing is Asians it seems. If you like Asian food, Miami might be a bad choice but so many other good food to make up for it. But even in Miami area or Ft Lauderdale I just found this gem here.. I LOVE restaurants like these and many are NOT in California. Polynesian style is great stuff.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...d=0CJ0BEKIqMAo

And surprisingly I have had some good Chinese food in Florida and last I checked there is Thai Food in the Sarasota area too and sushi. California is not where its all at or not anymore anyhow.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyddog View Post
I usually cut thru on Tuttle to go south and avoid 41. I've noticed that the elementary school there appears to have a very diverse population. Also, you will notice many Peruvian restaurants and Mexican restaurants here both catering to economically diverse hispanic tastes.
Oh I know! Theres Colombian food in Sarasota also like Mi Tierra. If you want to find it, you can find anything even Chinese markets.. some people think those are only in California or NY lol but I found some big ass octopus in a Chinese market in Sarasota and good squid too. Plus look at all the European markets but shhh don't tell all those Californians lol.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:21 AM

461 posts, read 554,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I know exactly what you mean. I have been to places like you describe, and we once had a vacation place where I felt uncomfortable due to lack of tolerance from very "in-your-face" leftist types. I see it in postings on various forums here, as well.

One of the things I really love about Sarasota/Bradenton is the fact that there are literally all types of people here, all types of religions including new age, LBGT, etc. etc. and there is tolerance and acceptance for everyone, with no one "pushing anything" at you. Hope you get what I mean. I feel very comfortable here, everyone just seems to get along. It is definitely more conservative than where you are coming from, but to me, that is a good thing. I like things "middle-of-the-road."
The truth is I'd rather be in a more in your face leftist kind of town than Sarasota. Sarasota in its own way is a prejudice place, even if people dont admit their biases.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:26 AM

461 posts, read 554,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I know exactly what you mean. I have been to places like you describe, and we once had a vacation place where I felt uncomfortable due to lack of tolerance from very "in-your-face" leftist types. I see it in postings on various forums here, as well.

One of the things I really love about Sarasota/Bradenton is the fact that there are literally all types of people here, all types of religions including new age, LBGT, etc. etc. and there is tolerance and acceptance for everyone, with no one "pushing anything" at you. Hope you get what I mean. I feel very comfortable here, everyone just seems to get along. It is definitely more conservative than where you are coming from, but to me, that is a good thing. I like things "middle-of-the-road."
A few gays here and there.. boohoo. I dont see that lifestyle as very progressive for obvious reasons. And if you ever checked craigslist, you'd know what I mean. Now what I dont see in Sarasota like ever, is transgendered. A lot more in St Pete from my experiences. See, the gays in Sarasota choose to live here despite the fact this town is very right wing. Does that make any sense??? I am not gay, I am not transgendered, but in the mind is where I am different. I dont fit with the culture in Sarasota and definitely not Venice and North Port. OMG you might as well throw me in jail.

My take is, people dont say nothing to you in Sarasota over anything good or bad.. they just dont speak up if something irritates them or if they like something. Its neutered here, it feels very stifled and I am 100% sure that Sarasota is getting worse. I really am. I see hints that its becoming the Alternate 1985 in Back to the future. Just wait until they knock Newtown down and make it all condos.. it will be pushed south, all the crime and homeless. Its clear they only want to make this a town for the rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area