Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 01:36 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,541,245 times

Advertisements

In our area most people with well water use both an aeration system and a filtering tank to take the "rotten eggs" (hydrogen sulfide) smell out of the water. Before buying a property with well water as a drinking source, I suggest having the water tested for bacteria & contaminants and the well & equipment inspected by a licensed company.

As to usage, a few years ago the Sarasota area had a severe drought (not just our normal spring dry season drought) and a number of wells in the Nokomis area dried up. They had to bring in truckloads of water for the duration.

I have friends who live "out east" of I-75 and all have well water. It's mainly a matter of maintenance of the pump and equipment to keep things working properly and occasionally having the water tested to make sure it meets standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 02:04 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
I'd rather have well water. No middleman. Just make sure you get the septic/well checked and have a real estate agent that is versed in putting any costs -- such as a new drainage field -- on the home sellers as part of the sale.

It's not a big deal unless you make it a big deal. No boil water issues. You can always get a reverse osmosis under the kitchen sink if you don't like the taste.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:35 PM

470 posts, read 1,074,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
In our area most people with well water use both an aeration system and a filtering tank to take the "rotten eggs" (hydrogen sulfide) smell out of the water. Before buying a property with well water as a drinking source, I suggest having the water tested for bacteria & contaminants and the well & equipment inspected by a licensed company.

As to usage, a few years ago the Sarasota area had a severe drought (not just our normal spring dry season drought) and a number of wells in the Nokomis area dried up. They had to bring in truckloads of water for the duration.
When they brought in truckloads of water, what did they do with it? The well water homes don’t have holding tanks, or do they in case of just this type of emergency?

Old 03-09-2018, 03:17 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,541,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekkidFish View Post
When they brought in truckloads of water, what did they do with it? The well water homes don’t have holding tanks, or do they in case of just this type of emergency?
People had to provide their own containers for collecting the water they needed.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:48 PM

470 posts, read 1,074,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
People had to provide their own containers for collecting the water they needed.
Wow! That had to really suck! I hope it didn’t last too long. I doubt I could fill enough containers for my nightly bubble bath!

Old 03-10-2018, 03:37 AM

32 posts, read 36,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekkidFish View Post
We currently have a septic system, so we are used to that. But, well water? I’ve never had that. Can y’all explain what it’s like living with well water? Are there times you can only use a limited amount of water? Are there any restrictions?
We have not had any problems with our well or the water from it - most people have water softeners; some have RO (reverse osmosis) filter systems, either whole-house or at the kitchen tap - our water is fine out of the tap. Never a problem (knock wood...) with wells running dry that I've heard of, even during the dry season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area