Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2021, 04:43 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,541,245 times

Advertisements

Sarasota Commission OK long-term plan for 9,000 homes off River Road

https://www.yoursun.com/englewood/sa...352e49bd1.html

By a pair of unanimous votes following a public hearing, commissioners unanimously approved a critical area plan for Winchester Ranch, a proposed development on 3,660 acres adjacent to River Road. When it is built out, the new subdivision will stretch from just east State Road 776 to the Myakka Pines golf course and past Winchester Boulevard.

The land is part of the old Taylor Ranch, and is part of the Wellen Park development - but outside the North Port city limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 05:43 PM

25,743 posts, read 12,824,670 times
I heard they're calling it New New York

Old 04-21-2021, 09:00 PM

25 posts, read 37,648 times
Obviously this is not the only mega development already in the works. More reason it seems NOT to be caught up in buying already overpriced housing in this area.

It's a frenzy now (for stupid people), I wouldn't touch these prices. It's predictable what's going to the market for any buyer that has his wits about him. Markets aren't vertical forever lol.

SELL the rumor, buy the fact.

Old 04-22-2021, 06:13 AM

More traffic...ugh! No way of stopping it. Who are the builders involved? Mattamy, & Neal, Would be my best guess.

They need to get started on widening River Road sooner rather than later. However number of lanes they are doing will not be enough. It should be turned into a divided Parkway with limited access, and 3 lanes going in each direction.

Right now the easement space exists to do this, but they wont take advantage of that and 5 years from now the road will be gridlock. Politicians & government workers are so predictable.

I wonder if it will slow down the housing appreciation in that part of Sarasota County? Its White hot down there right now.

ppsqft went from $180 to $320+ in just 2.5 years....wow!

How are they going to build houses there, if they cant get materials and labor for the existing lots nearby? I guess the start date for these homes is 1-2 years out.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:27 PM

144 posts, read 136,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
More traffic...ugh! No way of stopping it. Who are the builders involved? Mattamy, & Neal, Would be my best guess.

They need to get started on widening River Road sooner rather than later. However number of lanes they are doing will not be enough. It should be turned into a divided Parkway with limited access, and 3 lanes going in each direction.

Right now the easement space exists to do this, but they wont take advantage of that and 5 years from now the road will be gridlock. Politicians & government workers are so predictable.

I wonder if it will slow down the housing appreciation in that part of Sarasota County? Its White hot down there right now.

ppsqft went from $180 to $320+ in just 2.5 years....wow!

How are they going to build houses there, if they cant get materials and labor for the existing lots nearby? I guess the start date for these homes is 1-2 years out.
Widening of River Road to start this year:
https://www.yoursun.com/venice/chang...5942af8bd.html

Old 04-22-2021, 06:54 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,190,394 times
I've been in touch with the project manager for this at FDOT. They will be selecting a contractor in June. Work won't start until early 2022. They're a little behind the original schedule. There will be 6 lanes between 41 an Center and 4 lanes between Center and Venice Ave. There will also be a median, like the one on Center Road. I've seen the current plans, and they are using plans from 2004. The contractor will determine where they start and what sections of the road they will do when. Plan updates will be made after contractor selection.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:47 AM

25 posts, read 37,648 times
Sarasota County has always been behind the curve in road building, and still is. Just review how LONG it took to push through Cattlemen Road (it only happened because of a loud visceral push from Benderson Development/family)....look at the LONGLONG term delay and postponement of Honore through the Meadows, which was approved in the late 70s/80s! still not done!

They even dragged their feet on the LWR extension and took much much too long.

Look at how the second bridge to LBK got tabled...constantly.

The attitude and actions for infrastructure planning in Manatee County is very much more timely and 'sorta' intelligent lol....witness Ft Hamer, 70, Lorraine, 64, Parrish. etc.

Old 04-27-2021, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbcapital View Post
Widening of River Road to start this year:
https://www.yoursun.com/venice/chang...5942af8bd.html
That is overdue. River Road is so deadly, I hardly ever use it. We go out of our way to use alternate routes.

However wide they make it, it will be too narrow w/in a year or two. It needs to be 4 lanes in each direction to handle the future volumes over the next 20 years. They should also have 1 or 2 through lanes in each direction with no on/off so those exiting I-75 can blow right past all the retail that will be there, all the way down to Englewood city limit.

Of course, they'll never do anything smart like that.

Old 04-27-2021, 05:32 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,309,310 times
The upcoming River Road widening is only the northern section which is between I-75 and US-41. The new 9000 home subdivision is located off the southern section of River Road (which is south of US-41, between North Port and Englewood). That southern section is still 2 lanes and is not going to be widened any time soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area