Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 03:48 PM

182 posts, read 1,001,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
No, but I did hear about the sting that my favorite MCSO people did along 14th street in Bradenton

Manatee Sheriff's Narcotics Cops
Arrest 10 on 21 Charges During
Round Up Operation

MANATEE COUNTY, Florida [NMT] -- The Manatee County Sheriff's Office Tactical Unit, with assistance from the Selective Enforcement Division and the Warrants Section, has conducted a "round up operation." This was a culmination of a month long investigation.

During the month of June, members of the Special Investigations Division (S.I.D.) Tactical Unit made multiple undercover drug purchases from street level dealers throughout Manatee County.

This operation resulted in the arrest of 10 subjects with a total of 21 felony charges.

Listed below is the name of each subject with their respective charge:

1. Courtney Smith, 51, Sale of Cocaine
2. Jeff Jeffries, 50, Sale of Cocaine
3. Vernon Poole, 36, Sale of Cocaine
4. Randolph Williams, 32, Sale of Cocaine (2 counts)
5. Courtney Smith, 27, Sale of Cocaine (2 counts)
6. Tommie Clark, Jr., 28, Sale of Cocaine (4 counts)
7. Blake Fitzpatrick, 19, Sale of Marijuana
8. Iris Melendez, 34, Sale of Cocaine (3 counts)
9. Eric Landingham, 28, Sale of Marijuana
10. Richard Woods, 26, Sale of Cocaine
It's nice to see Manatee County Sheriff’s Dept. did a great job on that bust.
It's funny, I watch the news in the morning and evening and I don't recall hearing about this bust but I'm glad to hear it here now.
Drugs are the devils weapons.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:54 PM

3 posts, read 8,618 times
what about venice/englewood? area?

Old 07-31-2008, 04:10 PM

25 posts, read 89,074 times
I just moved from Culver City, CA to Bradenton. I was REALLY worried reading the nervous nellies on this forum and the Bradenton Herald.

Then I gave myself a reality check.

The neighborhood I lived in was "crip" territory. I was told I'd be dead in 6 months. Well, 8 years later, not only was I not dead, but all 4 of my kids never even sniffed trouble. We are devout Christians, we attended a GREAT church, partook in tons of scout activities, both boy and girl scout, went to restaurants, rode bikes, went to the park, etc.

Did I see gang members? Sure. Was it an issue? No. Because I wasn't a gang member. (and apparently I wasn't delivering a pizza).

Crime is serious. I don't mean to diminish that. But where is anyone going to go where drugs and violent crime are NOT issues? Parrish? Sarasota? Some Ivory tower somewhere? Where does rape and assault NOT happen? I've lived here for several weeks now and I am FLOORED by the generosity of spirit of native Floridians and transplants alike. Folks who've never lived in Southern California have no idea how isolating it can be and how ugly and demoralizing all that fake politeness can be. Moreover, the crime there is just as bad if not worse. Bradenton may not be Eden, but is sure as heck isn't the horrible place being made out by some. I've been to those horrible places. I've been to places where the hopelessness is so suffocating that you can almost understand the paranoid madness that comes from it. Bradenton is NOT that kind of place.

I'm looking to buy in the Bradenton area. Might buy in Bradenton or Palmetto, Ellenton, or Parrish. My decision will be based on many factors, but hysterical "beware the gangs in Bradenton" shouts won't be one of them. I KNOW gangs and so far, I'm not sweating them. And other than a few very specific areas, I KNOW there isn't anything to fear here. I've BEEN in areas where there is something to fear. I recognize those places instantly. There are very few areas in Bradenton metro that even qualify as bad and NONE qualify as what we used to call "wild west" or so dangerous, just being on the street was taking one's life in one's hand.

Of course, crime is a concern. I just don't see anything here that's happened that indicates a reason to leave Bradenton except for the economy (but I'm a disabled vet).

Old 07-31-2008, 04:16 PM

102 posts, read 460,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angnbri View Post
Those are nice areas as well. I don't know about the school systems there, though. The beaches are great and Sarasota in a short commute. I recommend either.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:25 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,916,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angnbri View Post
Venice and north Englewood also fall under Sarasota county. I would have to agree with basa on suggesting the Sarasota area for its schools.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:26 PM

3 posts, read 8,618 times
Thank you so much for your opinions. it really helps out. We are going to come spend a few days in sarasota in November to "check" things out....hopefully make some decisions. I agree about the gangs. they can be everywhere..sad situation. thanks again

Old 07-31-2008, 06:33 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,729,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Venice and north Englewood also fall under Sarasota county. I would have to agree with basa on suggesting the Sarasota area for its schools.
I second that.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:03 PM

102 posts, read 460,887 times
I third that!!

I would hate for someone to move to an area with a false sense of security because of one person's misguided beliefs!

Just do your research and protect yourself!

Old 08-01-2008, 01:20 PM

182 posts, read 1,001,247 times
Default Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackeyser View Post
I just moved from Culver City, CA to Bradenton. I was REALLY worried reading the nervous nellies on this forum and the Bradenton Herald.

Then I gave myself a reality check.

The neighborhood I lived in was "crip" territory. I was told I'd be dead in 6 months. Well, 8 years later, not only was I not dead, but all 4 of my kids never even sniffed trouble. We are devout Christians, we attended a GREAT church, partook in tons of scout activities, both boy and girl scout, went to restaurants, rode bikes, went to the park, etc.

Did I see gang members? Sure. Was it an issue? No. Because I wasn't a gang member. (and apparently I wasn't delivering a pizza).

Crime is serious. I don't mean to diminish that. But where is anyone going to go where drugs and violent crime are NOT issues? Parrish? Sarasota? Some Ivory tower somewhere? Where does rape and assault NOT happen? I've lived here for several weeks now and I am FLOORED by the generosity of spirit of native Floridians and transplants alike. Folks who've never lived in Southern California have no idea how isolating it can be and how ugly and demoralizing all that fake politeness can be. Moreover, the crime there is just as bad if not worse. Bradenton may not be Eden, but is sure as heck isn't the horrible place being made out by some. I've been to those horrible places. I've been to places where the hopelessness is so suffocating that you can almost understand the paranoid madness that comes from it. Bradenton is NOT that kind of place.

I'm looking to buy in the Bradenton area. Might buy in Bradenton or Palmetto, Ellenton, or Parrish. My decision will be based on many factors, but hysterical "beware the gangs in Bradenton" shouts won't be one of them. I KNOW gangs and so far, I'm not sweating them. And other than a few very specific areas, I KNOW there isn't anything to fear here. I've BEEN in areas where there is something to fear. I recognize those places instantly. There are very few areas in Bradenton metro that even qualify as bad and NONE qualify as what we used to call "wild west" or so dangerous, just being on the street was taking one's life in one's hand.

Of course, crime is a concern. I just don't see anything here that's happened that indicates a reason to leave Bradenton except for the economy (but I'm a disabled vet).

People I work with live in Bradenton and they agree with me that the gangs aren't out to bother the public. I did research and it clearly says, gang members go after other gang members trying to win them over to their gangs.
I'm not in a gang, don't know any gang members so I feel like I can stay and I'll be ok.
If you see me on the news someday shot by a gang member.
Come to my Memorial and bring a sign that says "we tried to warn her".
I'll be with God and not really caring too much anymore about this message board.

I don't see any reason to leave here (Bradenton) either.
My fellow co-workers, myself and you feel differently than the handful of people on here.
There is crime every where and as I have stated before, they haven't bothered me, they haven't bothered my neighbors, they haven't bothered the snow birds that flock here (excuse the pun) so, like you. I'm not leaving.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:57 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,189,971 times
Please take note of the following from the ToS..

Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.

Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards.

If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY.

Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area