Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 07:34 AM

25,449 posts, read 11,731,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAN24 View Post
You are un aware of what a city with crime issues is, Bradenton is a sleepy town with hardly any crime at all,
get real!!! There are some dicey "looking" areas of town yes.
The central East side of town has a large minority population and there is a section of town nearby Troipcana that has a housing project yes.!!
It is mostly if not all african american people that live there and in that area.

But people on this forum have no idea what crime issues are!! It's crazy and annoying how people make Bradenton out to be Compton or something.

Let me tell you all something ,there are no real gang problems in Bradenton, the Murder rate is very very very low!!
The unemployment rate is not even that bad.

I went to HighSchool in Bradenton,
I live in Cincinnati , Ohio now and can tell you this, if you think Bradenton is bad, you would think Cincinnati is a third world country or a war zone of sorts , I grew up in Bradenton thinking it was kinda bad too, I can tell you after living in Cincinnati and Chicago for the last couple years, Bradenton is so safe and has no real ghetto areas, I am talking about places you would not go into , day or night.
peolple in Florida are used to country clubs and older white folks in there neiborhoods and become dis elutioned when they see t here city having a shooting or black kid on the news who had commited a petty crime at the circle K on the other side of town..
You said yourself that you now live in Cincinnati, Ohio. Unless to come to visit Bradenton, you don't know what the city is like NOW. Not 10 years ago, or whenever you went to High School, NOW! Everything as increased, expect for the economy. Crime has increased, population has increased, as well as other things. The city seems to have gotten some control over the crime, but it's still there. You have to be here or visit here often enough, or read our local newspaper to truly know what is going on. You can't just base it from the past, because sir, NOTHING stays the same.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:07 PM

95 posts, read 380,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post
You said yourself that you now live in Cincinnati, Ohio. Unless to come to visit Bradenton, you don't know what the city is like NOW. Not 10 years ago, or whenever you went to High School, NOW! Everything as increased, expect for the economy. Crime has increased, population has increased, as well as other things. The city seems to have gotten some control over the crime, but it's still there. You have to be here or visit here often enough, or read our local newspaper to truly know what is going on. You can't just base it from the past, because sir, NOTHING stays the same.
You read something in a paper and lable your city with a certain incident!?

I have a lot of friends in the area still and I have been there recently ,
I can't believe how much growth has happened East of 75, my gawd!!
Nothing really happening in the city though, downtown is so lame, still.

Back on point though Bradenton does have a crime index that is posted for the public to access, I don't think Bradenton has ever had more then 5 murders in a year, nor has there been any identified "gang" of any sort that is really making a mark on the other kinds of crime in the city that should leave citizens with good reason to worry.

I am not buying the notion that Bradenton is a dangerous place to live,
it is an eye sore in most parts of the city proper,I will say that,
14 th street,
24 st east ,
avondale projects area,
parts of Oneco
parts of Samoset,
a small area off us 41,
and the latino part of town by Mantee Elementery

those are all kinda dicey looking areas , are they responsible for this delution that people have of Bradenton being Compton ?

Old 12-28-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:

Back on point though Bradenton does have a crime index that is posted for the public to access, I don't think Bradenton has ever had more then 5 murders in a year, nor has there been any identified "gang" of any sort that is really making a mark on the other kinds of crime in the city that should leave citizens with good reason to worry.

14 th street,
24 st east ,
avondale projects area,
parts of Oneco
parts of Samoset,
a small area off us 41,

those are all kinda dicey looking areas , are they responsible for this delution that people have of Bradenton being Compton ?
Who here compared Bradenton to Compton because I don't remember anything like that. We didn't say that Bradenton is another Los Angeles, we just said that more is happening and it needs to be fixed. Gangs are calming down, but I'm sure still an issue somewhere in Bradenton, same with the crime, although Sunday morning there was an attempted murder/suicide on 78th Street, which is suppose to be the good part of Bradenton. Things change, accept it.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:22 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I have to completely agree with SuncoastGuy here - We first moved to Sarasota back in 1981 - at that time Sarasota was a conservative retiree city with a dead downtown and bad politics. Bradenton was a sleepy little beach town, very quiet with nothing but retirees living there. We moved away in 1997, fast-forward to today. We moved back to the area, living on the north end of Sarasota in Manatee county. The difference between the two cities is like the Continental Divide - Sarasota has improved itself exponentially by like a thousand times! And Bradenton has really gone into the dumper. I am really shocked by how seedy and run-down the place has become. And even driving along 14th St. W (US 41) or Cortez I see a lot of really shady looking characters. There has been a TREMENDOUS number of violent crimes here just in the past year. It is sad, but this little city has a lot of potential but it is going through some trying times right now. The best parts, IMO are Manatee Ave., NW Bradenton, and the beaches; but even those areas have crime.

Our neighborhood is Whitfield Estates, beautiful, quiet and very friendly and safe. but as soon as you get maybe one mile to the north, well into Bradenton the difference is obvious. I still find the little city charming, but it has got a ways to go to clean itself up.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:08 AM

Here is a Bradenton crime story. A shooting on 78th Street West, in the "better" area of Manatee County.

WWSB ABC 7 Florida - Sarasota, Bradenton, Venice, North Port, Siesta Key Breaking News, Weather, Sports and Traffic on the Suncoast | Shooting, Suicide in Bradenton Sunday Morning (http://www.mysuncoast.com/Global/story.asp?S=9587483 - broken link)

Old 12-29-2008, 11:55 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:

14 th street,
24 st east ,
avondale projects area,
parts of Oneco
parts of Samoset,
a small area off us 41,

Bradenton's a mess......unfortunately, high unemployment & drugs have turned a sleepy little beach town into a nightmare.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:36 PM

Moderator cut: link to a competitors site removed

Alright all you people who think Bradenton is bad and a dangerous place to live,
your either all a bunch of idiots who have never been out of Bradenton,
or are really un aware of what crime issues are in a city.

Even Ft .Myers a city with about the same population makes Bradenton look like a sunday school baptist girls choir tryout.

Compare the crime of the two cities,
if you guys think Bradenton is bad,
you might recognize Ft. Myers as the worst place on the planet huh.

The crime is twice as bad there..

I have to say it , sorry , most of you are really

Morons!!!!

Last edited by Yac; 12-30-2008 at 04:02 AM..

Old 12-29-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
We moved back to the area, living on the north end of Sarasota in Manatee county. The difference between the two cities is like the Continental Divide - Sarasota has improved itself exponentially by like a thousand times! And Bradenton has really gone into the dumper.
Allow me to say this, there is more of everything in Sarasota then Bradenton,

there is a lot more money in Sarasota, and there is a lot more poverty in Sarasota,

If you ever find yourself around MLK drive in Sarasota, just take a drive down some of the streets in the area,
there are blocks and blocks of "hood"
I am talking poor black people, the one's that really scare white america or white bradenton rather ", haha lol , sorry back on point now,
there is a lot more hood in SArasota then there is in Bradenton.

Sarasota just has some really nice parts to it in the city that over shadow it's problems.
While Bradenton as a whole is pretty run down with no real core entertainment district and I think that leads a lot of people to think Sarasota has it's act together so much more then Bradenton, .

Don't get me wrong Sarasota I.M.O as a whole is much more cosmopolitan and nicer of a city then Bradenton. But it has it's share of eye sores within the city too. AS much as Bradenton, Bradenton's dicey parts just seem to be more spread out.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:23 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Allow me to say this, there is more of everything in Sarasota then Bradenton,

there is a lot more money in Sarasota, and there is a lot more poverty in Sarasota,

If you ever find yourself around MLK drive in Sarasota, just take a drive down some of the streets in the area,
there are blocks and blocks of "hood"
I am talking poor black people, the one's that really scare white america or white bradenton rather ", haha lol , sorry back on point now,
there is a lot more hood in SArasota then there is in Bradenton.

Sarasota just has some really nice parts to it in the city that over shadow it's problems.
While Bradenton as a whole is pretty run down with no real core entertainment district and I think that leads a lot of people to think Sarasota has it's act together so much more then Bradenton, .

Don't get me wrong Sarasota I.M.O as a whole is much more cosmopolitan and nicer of a city then Bradenton. But it has it's share of eye sores within the city too. AS much as Bradenton, Bradenton's dicey parts just seem to be more spread out.
Dude, I actually don't live all that far from the area in SArasota you speak of (MLK, etc.) in fact, just got back from going to the bank right there and shopping at the thrift store. I am well aware of Sarasota's poorer areas. This area is not "scary" at all.

Here is an article from todays Bradenton-Herald talking about the gang problem in Pride Park:

Fighting for Pride Park’s future - Top Stories - Bradenton.com (http://www.bradenton.com/847/story/1120687.html - broken link)

Those of us who currently live in the area know what we are talking about, if it doesn't seem bad to you, fine, but we have a right to disagree with you!

Old 12-29-2008, 02:51 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: link to a competitors site removed
Alright all you people who think Bradenton is bad and a dangerous place to live,
your either all a bunch of idiots who have never been out of Bradenton,
or are really un aware of what crime issues are in a city.

Even Ft .Myers a city with about the same population makes Bradenton look like a sunday school baptist girls choir tryout.

Compare the crime of the two cities,
if you guys think Bradenton is bad,
you might recognize Ft. Myers as the worst place on the planet huh.

The crime is twice as bad there..

I have to say it , sorry , most of you are really

Morons!!!!
You're entitled to your opinion, as we are to ours. I was born and raised in Detoit; I have a good background on crime. I've also lived in Manhattan....It amuses me that you moved from Bradenton to Ohio....

Last edited by Yac; 12-30-2008 at 04:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area