Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 07:57 AM

5 posts, read 7,092 times

Advertisements

Hello. My family and I are considering a move to the Sarasota area this year. My wife will be a newly graduated BSN, so she should not have any trouble finding employment. For me, I am a licensed Home Inspector and Contractor(State of Tennessee), and have extensive experience in aviation. What are the prospects for starting a Home Inspection business in the Sarasota area, or a remodeling/handy-man business?(I will check the local airports as well). What I have read on this forum is encouraging with regards to the quality of life and schools in the Sarasota/Bradenton area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 10:09 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainslapper View Post
Hello. My family and I are considering a move to the Sarasota area this year. My wife will be a newly graduated BSN, so she should not have any trouble finding employment. For me, I am a licensed Home Inspector and Contractor(State of Tennessee), and have extensive experience in aviation. What are the prospects for starting a Home Inspection business in the Sarasota area, or a remodeling/handy-man business?(I will check the local airports as well). What I have read on this forum is encouraging with regards to the quality of life and schools in the Sarasota/Bradenton area.
Firstly, I'd like to welcome you to the board!
The area is really cool!
Jobs are tougher to find here than you think, I would'nt be over confident. I'll let other discuss your prospects, but I would think that with the number of elderly here that could use a good handyman, your prospects would be pretty good - however the construction market here is dead so there are probably a lot of handymen available.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:53 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
Quote:
If you're looking to get into doing home inspections I would recommend hooking up with a Realtor that does a lot of foreclosure business-like yours truly. We are also always looking for good property preservation companies to change locks, clean the pools, do sales cleans and fix odds and ends. We keep the companies that work for us pretty busy.

I'm not too sure about the aviation aspect though. Good luck with your move.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:59 PM

Thank you for the quick responses. I will probably focus on developing a home inspection business and supplement that with work such as you suggested. Again, thank you for your input.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:45 AM

385 posts, read 1,159,599 times
I don't know what your experience in aviation is, but my friends husband was just laid off from the airport along with a string of others. I think he some sort of engineer. I think someone else said it best, the job market here is really tough right now, don't be too overly confident, be very prepared. Lot's of positives too like picking up a great deal on a home, and no snow

Old 02-19-2009, 06:43 AM

I have a background in aviation maintenance and FBO,Airport Management(combined 15 years experience). I think the best path to follow will be developing a relationship with realtors in the area in order to establish a home inspection business(four years of experience in home inspections). My experience as a licensed contractor has contributed well to my home inspection business although business is slow at this time. I have always supplemented my business income by doing all sorts of remodeling work(structural, electrical, plumbing, etc.). I also work with realtors in "fixing" issues that are discovered in the course of home inspections performed by other firms. I would be idealy suited to work in getting foreclosures marketable as one of your contributors had suggested. Aviation is my true passion, but feeding the family is priority #1. We have a nine year old girl and a 15 year old boy. Suggestions on good quality safe schools in the area? I also agree with the fact that there must be good deals to be had in the housing market in that area. We wouldn't have considered doing this 2-3 years ago because we simply could not have afforded to but a house.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:58 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
Most of the schools in Sarasota county are pretty good. It's an "A" rated district. If you're looking for good deals you might want to look in the North Port area. You can pick up a newer 3/2/2 for under $100K.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:54 AM

"But" a house....I need to proofread better! Thanks for the housing tip!

Old 02-19-2009, 01:40 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Quote:
"But" a house....I need to proofread better! Thanks for the housing tip!
Hey moutainslapper, if you want to "But" a house - SoFLGAL is a great agent! She helped my "but" my house! - Just teasing. She is really great, and is one of the most helpful contributors on this site. If you'd like to know more, feel free to DM me.

In order to send a Direct Message (which is like email), click on the poster's name in the upper left corner, and a menu will pop down, one of the options is to send a DM.

When are you thinking of coming down?
Are you thinking of buying, renting or butting? LOL - sorry
Your kids sound like they are a good age, they and you will love it here!

Old 02-20-2009, 05:40 AM

Good morning Big House. We are considering a move this Summer. We will probably make a trip down in April or May to check things out. My wife is going to start contacting the local hospitals in the next few weeks for employment opportunities. Wisdom dictates renting initially, but if a good deal is found we'll certainly consider buying. We have a 3/2 home on 3 acres here in Greene County(East TN), that we will be putting on the market. We get a lot of Florida buyers in this area....everyone wants a mountain view!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area