Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2009, 08:59 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnson5077 View Post
Wow! Ya'll are great! Thanks, Peter and SoFlGal! I can't beleive all the great information ya'll are giving me! Thank you so much! I am getting ready for my 1st phone interview and I will message and let everyone know how it goes. Then later this afternoon I will have my 2nd phone interview! Keep the information coming!

My son is very smart. I haven't had his IQ checked, though! He takes many tests throughout the year to place him in classes for the next year. Like I said he is in 6th grade and he is taking 9th grade math, science, reading and english! I don't want him to get bored with school because of the slower paced academics!
Chrissy,
Without a doubt the biggest factors in him getting a great education, is his drive, motivation, and desire. Your involvement, guideance, and interest is essential to his success in achieving a good education. He has to understand the importance, and make it a priority of his. Without that you can send him to a great private school, or a great public school, and it won't help. I'm sure you understand that, unfortunately many parents dont, haven't, wont stay engaged in this very important and meaningful part of his life. Sports and other activities are important as well, but the quality of his education is going to prepare him for life. Stay engaged, and watch his peer group to see that they too have the proper drive and motivation to achieve a good education - they can undermine your efforts very quickly.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:30 AM

159 posts, read 461,284 times
Quote:
Today is the day! I will have the phone interview and hopefully all will go well! If so, then we will be heading down sooner than we thought! I can't wait to see the day where I can put the top down in the Mustang, drive fast on the highway and land in Florida (Sarasota to be exact)! LOL! I need everyone's serious opinion about schools. I know I have had some negative comments on how the schools aren't good, but some people say that about the schools here and they are one of the best in the country! So, I have looked at test scores and found Sarasota Middle School and a few others I can't think of right off the top of my head and the scores were pretty good. Most of the test scores were in the high 80's to mid 90's. Our schools here are testing all in the 90's. Not that I expect the exact tests scores as here but I do want a good education for my son. He is in the 6th grade and is in advanced classes. So, depending on the school will determine where we move. So, if you recommend a school, please also recommend some neighborhoods around that area! Thanks everyone for helping me fulfill my dream!
I thought it was really interesting that you have a convertible Mustang as I do as well. Not much good having one when you're in a cold climate and have to keep the top up most of the year. Hopefully I will be joining you on the highway with the top down soon. I am planning to move down in October. Good luck on the job and hope you find a good place to live, that's what I'm working on now and it's not easy from this far away.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:49 AM

414 posts, read 1,245,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Chrissy,
Without a doubt the biggest factors in him getting a great education, is his drive, motivation, and desire. Your involvement, guideance, and interest is essential to his success in achieving a good education. He has to understand the importance, and make it a priority of his. Without that you can send him to a great private school, or a great public school, and it won't help. I'm sure you understand that, unfortunately many parents dont, haven't, wont stay engaged in this very important and meaningful part of his life. Sports and other activities are important as well, but the quality of his education is going to prepare him for life. Stay engaged, and watch his peer group to see that they too have the proper drive and motivation to achieve a good education - they can undermine your efforts very quickly.

BH,
You are right on target. All the education reform, merit pay, "no child left behind" etc. won't work UNLESS we find a way to get parents involved.
As to Pine View School. from my understanding speaking to neighbors, as our kids are past that stage, the school is excellent.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:16 AM

105 posts, read 186,474 times
SoFlGal: You are awesome! Wow! You gave me a lot of information to look at! This is great! I can't beleive all the support I have here! I will definitely get my son tested when we get down there and I would like to use a private psychologist, so if you could get this info to me I would greatly appreciate it! I'm so glad you have enlightened me with positive information on schools because so many people say the schools are not very good in Florida. Here in Indiana, if you don't live in a good suburb then the schools really are horrible. We fortunately live in an upper scale area where the schools are awesome and I want to move to the same type of area. Again, thank you! I just got a call from an employer in Sarasota and the job would be at the Venice office. He offered me the job and wants me to fly down to meet with him. I'm sooooo excited. I can't wait for my husband to get home so I can tell him! Now, we just need the for sale sign in the yard and a buyer! Anyone want to buy a home in Indiana? LOL! I know the house will go fast. A house just sold right down the street from me and it was only on the market for 8 days. My neigbor knows a school teacher who is looking to buy her first home and wants to look at ours before we put it on the market! It really looks like everything is working in our favor, finally!

Rainbow Girl! Yes, we have a Mustang GT convertible and maybe we could race down the highway together with nothing in the way of Florida! LOL! I can't wait! I remember last year when we drove to Florida (Miami) we rode with the top down all the way down! We were actually sun burned before we got to Flordia! LOL! I hope you can get to Flordia soon, too! It sounds like you are coming in October! What do you do? How did you find a job? I know it's difficult to find a house while being so far away. We have timeshares so we are probably going to stay in that for a couple weeks when we first get down so we can house shop!

BH! Of course I am involved! LOL! Don't you get the vibe I am that type of mom? LOL! Just kidding. My son's education comes first. He plays sports but he also knows that his grades have to be good to get the opportunity and the privalege to play sports. He has wanted to be a vet or doctor since he was four years old and hasn't changed his mind. For fun he reads medical books. In the 2nd grade he wrote a report on how the heart works and all the parts to the heart. The teacher emailed me and told me not to do his reports anymore. I called her and explained that I didn't do it! I told her to ask him any question about his report and for him to tell her from his own words how the heart works. Well, she did this and was amazed that he did know and actually told her some things she didn't know! She called me that day and said she was so sorry for accusing me of doing his report! P.S. You better have the beer ready soon! I'm comin to Sarasota!

Smile Doc! You are so right! And thanks for putting your opinion in on the schools! I really appreciate it! I am so amazed at how everyone helps here on this one site! I haven't been able to find any other sites like this! I enjoy checking in everyday to see what is going on!

Can anyone tell me how far Venice is from Sarasota? This would be my commute and I want to make sure it's not too far!

How do you insert a picture on here? I want to share a pic of me and my husband so everyone can put a face with the name. Everytime I click on the insert pic icon it takes me to a URL that I need to type in! And, I can't copy and paste in here!

Old 09-11-2009, 11:22 AM

917 posts, read 2,616,118 times

congratulations!!!
http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt186/tommy-105/2598682412_67a7a86f72_o.jpg (broken link)
http://http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt186/tommy-105/2598682412_67a7a86f72_o.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-11-2009, 11:27 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
Quote:
SoFlGal: You are awesome! Wow! You gave me a lot of information to look at! This is great! I can't beleive all the support I have here! I will definitely get my son tested when we get down there and I would like to use a private psychologist, so if you could get this info to me I would greatly appreciate it! I'm so glad you have enlightened me with positive information on schools because so many people say the schools are not very good in Florida. Here in Indiana, if you don't live in a good suburb then the schools really are horrible. We fortunately live in an upper scale area where the schools are awesome and I want to move to the same type of area. Again, thank you! I just got a call from an employer in Sarasota and the job would be at the Venice office. He offered me the job and wants me to fly down to meet with him. I'm sooooo excited. I can't wait for my husband to get home so I can tell him! Now, we just need the for sale sign in the yard and a buyer! Anyone want to buy a home in Indiana? LOL! I know the house will go fast. A house just sold right down the street from me and it was only on the market for 8 days. My neigbor knows a school teacher who is looking to buy her first home and wants to look at ours before we put it on the market! It really looks like everything is working in our favor, finally!

Rainbow Girl! Yes, we have a Mustang GT convertible and maybe we could race down the highway together with nothing in the way of Florida! LOL! I can't wait! I remember last year when we drove to Florida (Miami) we rode with the top down all the way down! We were actually sun burned before we got to Flordia! LOL! I hope you can get to Flordia soon, too! It sounds like you are coming in October! What do you do? How did you find a job? I know it's difficult to find a house while being so far away. We have timeshares so we are probably going to stay in that for a couple weeks when we first get down so we can house shop!

BH! Of course I am involved! LOL! Don't you get the vibe I am that type of mom? LOL! Just kidding. My son's education comes first. He plays sports but he also knows that his grades have to be good to get the opportunity and the privalege to play sports. He has wanted to be a vet or doctor since he was four years old and hasn't changed his mind. For fun he reads medical books. In the 2nd grade he wrote a report on how the heart works and all the parts to the heart. The teacher emailed me and told me not to do his reports anymore. I called her and explained that I didn't do it! I told her to ask him any question about his report and for him to tell her from his own words how the heart works. Well, she did this and was amazed that he did know and actually told her some things she didn't know! She called me that day and said she was so sorry for accusing me of doing his report! P.S. You better have the beer ready soon! I'm comin to Sarasota!

Smile Doc! You are so right! And thanks for putting your opinion in on the schools! I really appreciate it! I am so amazed at how everyone helps here on this one site! I haven't been able to find any other sites like this! I enjoy checking in everyday to see what is going on!

Can anyone tell me how far Venice is from Sarasota? This would be my commute and I want to make sure it's not too far!

How do you insert a picture on here? I want to share a pic of me and my husband so everyone can put a face with the name. Everytime I click on the insert pic icon it takes me to a URL that I need to type in! And, I can't copy and paste in here!
Depends on were you're going to in each town but I just used a general marker for each. Downtown Sarasota (Main St) to downtown Venice (Miami Ave). It's 30 minutes. Pine View is right in the middle of the two in Osprey.

Why not just look for a place in Osprey or Venice is you're gonna be working there?

I'll DM you the name and number of the psychologist

Oh, I almost forgot. Just go to your profile and click to create an album and upload the pics there. Then copy and paste the BB code in the post and WALA! It appears! I think there's other ways to do it as well but that's how I do it.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:39 AM

105 posts, read 186,474 times
Thanks, Tommy! SoFlGal, you are great once again! How are the homes in Venice or Osprey? Is it low crime and a good area? I will start looking! Can you provide me some info on these areas? Would my son still be able to go to Pine View?

Old 09-11-2009, 11:56 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,440 times
Is Pine View still over capacity? Did they decide to do the lottery system that was talked about last year?

Old 09-11-2009, 12:11 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegirl View Post
Is Pine View still over capacity? Did they decide to do the lottery system that was talked about last year?
No, there is no lottery system in place. Pine View has constructed a new huge building to handle the increase in kids. Many people move to the county to have their children attend. My kids have 18 kids in many of their classes.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:15 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
No, there is no lottery system in place. Pine View has constructed a new huge building to handle the increase in kids. Many people move to the county to have their children attend. My kids have 18 kids in many of their classes.
I knew that they were discussing doing some "satellite" campuses as well to help with the increased enrollment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area