Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 11:30 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times

Advertisements

To the OP you don't really sound like you have a solid plan. What happens when neither of you have work and your 25k starts dwindling down?

You have a child to think about as well. One of you is still working in Indiana?

You liked Miami/ Ft.Lauderdale but Sarasota( which is nice) but is more cost effective. Just from reading your posts this move doesn't sound well thought out.

FL's economy isn't suppossed to recover for many years and salaries are lower.

I would be concerned about what happens if after 8 months you can't find work or just minimal jobs and you see your savings dwindling.

JMO, but it seems like when you have no money coming in it seems to go out the door faster. I wouldn't relocate to another state unless at least one of you had a decent job lined up.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:36 PM

105 posts, read 186,452 times
Seain,

I know it sounds like a move on the whim, but in all reality if you don't take risks in your life then you aren't really living. Yes, we have a son to consider and trust me, he is number one in our lives! My husband is working on a project here in Indiana but it is only going to last for 2 months! So, it's not a permanent job. The economy has been hit hard here and jobs are sparingly. Don't get me wrong, I don't think when we move that jobs are going to fall in our lap, but we have seen more job postings down there than here. For example, there are plenty of jobs just on the job board for Sarasota Hospital. My husband has been in the medical field for 5 years and the jobs offered at Sarasota Hospital fit his criteria. Here in Indiana, he was laid off from a hospital because they are over budget and people are not getting elective surgeries. I'm an accountant and have looking to talk to a headhunter in Florida to check out my options. I would rather have a job down in Florida before we move and it is my goal so we are looking. Our house isn't up for sale yet. I have applied for many jobs such as Siemens, Humana, Anthem and so forth. These are big companies and I hope to land one. If not, then I will continue to look and talk to people. Sometimes it is all in who you know! I think making a move to Florida isn't going to kill us. I do think sitting around here in Indiana without a job and bills continuing to pile up is going to kill us! I think sometimes in life you need to make a fresh start! Maybe we are making a mistake but maybe we aren't! I have got comments from some people saying we will do just fine down in Florida and some comments from folks such as yourself saying we are making a mistake! Who knows! Do you know something I don't? Or do you have any suggestions? I am welcome to any comments or suggestions! The economy will get better! It's a cycle in history and it always does come back! I guess we just sit back and see!

Old 09-07-2009, 07:16 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnson5077 View Post
Seain,

I know it sounds like a move on the whim, but in all reality if you don't take risks in your life then you aren't really living. Yes, we have a son to consider and trust me, he is number one in our lives! My husband is working on a project here in Indiana but it is only going to last for 2 months! So, it's not a permanent job. The economy has been hit hard here and jobs are sparingly. Don't get me wrong, I don't think when we move that jobs are going to fall in our lap, but we have seen more job postings down there than here. For example, there are plenty of jobs just on the job board for Sarasota Hospital. My husband has been in the medical field for 5 years and the jobs offered at Sarasota Hospital fit his criteria. Here in Indiana, he was laid off from a hospital because they are over budget and people are not getting elective surgeries. I'm an accountant and have looking to talk to a headhunter in Florida to check out my options. I would rather have a job down in Florida before we move and it is my goal so we are looking. Our house isn't up for sale yet. I have applied for many jobs such as Siemens, Humana, Anthem and so forth. These are big companies and I hope to land one. If not, then I will continue to look and talk to people. Sometimes it is all in who you know! I think making a move to Florida isn't going to kill us. I do think sitting around here in Indiana without a job and bills continuing to pile up is going to kill us! I think sometimes in life you need to make a fresh start! Maybe we are making a mistake but maybe we aren't! I have got comments from some people saying we will do just fine down in Florida and some comments from folks such as yourself saying we are making a mistake! Who knows! Do you know something I don't? Or do you have any suggestions? I am welcome to any comments or suggestions! The economy will get better! It's a cycle in history and it always does come back! I guess we just sit back and see!
cj,
You wouldn't believe that the economy is bad anyplace else other than Florida, when in fact it is much worse in other places. Now, as I've said before, the economy is hitting Florida pretty bad. I'm not painting a picture that its so bad that you can't find anything though. Some people just don't know what its like in other places. They just want to make sure to you take the move lightly. I deal with subcontractors from all over the country, and I know that some areas are really hurting, so I do appreciate the tough decision you're facing. Its not easy. I think you will be fine with the move, you have the right attitude to succeed.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:29 PM

Thanks, BH! I really appreciate it! Indiana is terrible right now. It is mainly a manufacturing state along with Michigan so it's pretty tough! I understand it is bad down in Florida and I do know it won't be easy but like I have said earlier, I refuse to let my house go into foreclosure. Regardless if I move to Florida or stay here in Indiana I will have to sell the house. I need the equity until I find a job even if that job is in Florida. I am going to check out Accountemps to see if I can find a permanent job through them! I have also contacted some headhunters. My husband applied today to Sarasota Hospital. I have been on many sites looking for jobs and it seems there are more job opportunites in Florida than in Indiana. I have been looking since July! It's been rough, real rough here! I have lived in Indiana all my life and want and need a fresh start, even if it's not an easy road! Many people here in Indiana have said we are silly to move to Florida without jobs lined up but some of our more successful friends have encouraged the move and said it would be good for us to make a fresh start. We are young and vibrant and willing to work! We are determined to make it!

Old 09-07-2009, 07:43 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Thanks, BH! I really appreciate it! Indiana is terrible right now. It is mainly a manufacturing state along with Michigan so it's pretty tough! I understand it is bad down in Florida and I do know it won't be easy but like I have said earlier, I refuse to let my house go into foreclosure. Regardless if I move to Florida or stay here in Indiana I will have to sell the house. I need the equity until I find a job even if that job is in Florida. I am going to check out Accountemps to see if I can find a permanent job through them! I have also contacted some headhunters. My husband applied today to Sarasota Hospital. I have been on many sites looking for jobs and it seems there are more job opportunites in Florida than in Indiana. I have been looking since July! It's been rough, real rough here! I have lived in Indiana all my life and want and need a fresh start, even if it's not an easy road! Many people here in Indiana have said we are silly to move to Florida without jobs lined up but some of our more successful friends have encouraged the move and said it would be good for us to make a fresh start. We are young and vibrant and willing to work! We are determined to make it!
You have a lot of qualifications, and a great attitude. Your eyes are open, and you know what you want. You have a plan, and willing to make adjustments in order to succeed. It will be tough, but if anyone is going to do it and prosper, it is going to be someone just like you guys. I think that you will do fine. People want to know that you have a local address, before they hire. Did you speak to anyone at the two headhunter companies I listed? I know they have placed construction people in jobs all over (none in Florida though - that I'm aware of).

Good Luck! Keep us posted of your progress - OK.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:33 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Well good luck to you. But it was just in the paper that FL isn't going to see a recovery for many years in this economy.

Are you sold on FL, or would you consider TX? TX has not been hit as hard, if you are looking for a warmer climate.

I have run across so many people who come to FL with big dreams of a better life, and find it very tough making a living here due to the low salaries.

JMO, but I would look in states like TX, NC, or TN. States that aren't as hard hit as FL. They also attract more industry.

FL's economy is new construction and tourism and both are hurting.

FL is a service industry state. Just to give you an example we have had two different guys from the cable company to the house in the last few months. Very nice guys making $10 an hour as contractors for Brighthouse and no benefits.

Both moved here from up north and regret it. FL is fine if your're retired and have money. Very difficult to make a living here. They also both told me( at seperate times) they want to leave but our barely scraping by here, so they can't even save enough money to move back.

There are so many people like that here.

One other thing, don't know what you husband's job is in the medical field but check about ceritification in FL. Even nurses have run into issues here coming from other states. They get down here and find out certain papers needed to be filed in advance and they can't work right away, so really research and make sure there aren't any loopholes in his way.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing, but please realize living here and spending vacation time are two different things. Really do your homework and research before moving.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:52 AM

917 posts, read 2,615,547 times
Excellent post Seain! Many really good points.
I hope you don't mind if I make a few comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well good luck to you. But it was just in the paper that FL isn't going to see a recovery for many years in this economy.
People just don't want to believe that it might take years. Do you have a link?

Are you sold on FL, or would you consider TX? TX has not been hit as hard, if you are looking for a warmer climate.
They seem to be sold on SW Florida (of all places)

I have run across so many people who come to FL with big dreams of a better life, and find it very tough making a living here due to the low salaries. The low salaries can't be stressed enough! A company will hire two guys at $9 an hr to lay tile before they will pay him $18 to do the same thing. If he was bilingual and could supervise these guys that would be a plus.

JMO, but I would look in states like TX, NC, or TN. States that aren't as hard hit as FL. They also attract more industry. There hasn't been any mention of them looking in other states.

FL's economy is new construction and tourism and both are hurting. I noted that you said new construction. I've never seen nearly as much remodeling going on down here as I used to see up north. The focus is (or was) all about new construction here.

FL is a service industry state. Just to give you an example we have had two different guys from the cable company to the house in the last few months. Very nice guys making $10 an hour as contractors for Brighthouse and no benefits. There are just too many guys in the area that have lost construction jobs and are turning to anything else even slightly related to their real trade. This is has been helping to drive down wages in other fields.

Both moved here from up north and regret it. FL is fine if your're retired and have money. Very difficult to make a living here. They also both told me( at seperate times) they want to leave but our barely scraping by here, so they can't even save enough money to move back.

There are so many people like that here.
I'm one of these people. I came down in 1999 with $20k and now I'm trying to save up enough to get away. There is no equity in the house, and we can't pay the mortgage.

One other thing, don't know what you husband's job is in the medical field but check about ceritification in FL. Even nurses have run into issues here coming from other states. They get down here and find out certain papers needed to be filed in advance and they can't work right away, so really research and make sure there aren't any loopholes in his way. The husband is lucky enough to have experience in two occupations, by coming here to an area with hardly any construction going on, he would be cutting his prospects in half.
Also if he is considering doing side jobs in the flooring trade, he should be aware of the laws in Florida regarding contracting without a license. He should also realize that it's not as easy to obtain a license here as it is in many other states.

Three cited in Cape Coral unlicensed contractor sting | news-press.com | The News-Press

Good luck with whatever you end up doing, but please realize living here and spending vacation time are two different things. Really do your homework and research before moving.
It sounds like their minds are made up and I wish them luck. I don't think anybody here is saying that they should stay where they are.
Moving away and starting fresh in an area with brighter prospects sounds like a good plan, but why SW Florida?

Last edited by tommy-105; 09-08-2009 at 04:57 AM..

Old 09-08-2009, 05:49 AM

Florida has always been a big dream of ours, Seain! My husband's grandparents lived in Ft. Myers for years. We originally thought of moving to Coral Springs, right outside of Ft. Lauderdale but found it way too expensive. SW Florida is beautiful and is reasonable to live in, price wise. I have checked out the certifications for the medical field and he has already sent his paperwork in. As far as the contracting license, we have checked it out too! We are very aware of the rules and regulations in Florida. We have done our homework and realize it is not a vacation but it is everyday living, working and making it work. As far as I am concerned, being an accountant is widespread. I have found many jobs and have even heard back from some of them already! I have applied to many jobs with the IRS and the State of Florida, which I have already been called back and have taken testing for these positions. Now, I am just waiting to hear back from them. Some of these jobs have a relocation package and some do not! I know times are tough and everyone has stressed that to us, but here in Indiana they are the same or tougher. The jobs available here are $8 or $9 an hour with no benefits. You can't buy a decent job here. I do know with various skills like we have will help us to prosper. I think life is what you make it and if we think negative then it will be negative but if we think positive and are determined then the outcome will be positive and we will make it!

Old 09-08-2009, 06:10 AM

917 posts, read 2,615,547 times
Sounds like you are doing your homework. Certainly more than I did a long time ago. Not trying to attack you personally, we see so many posts like yours...Just trying to get people to think twice. Good luck to you, I can tell you're gonna give it your best.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:25 AM

301 posts, read 1,154,170 times
Quote:
Hello from Michigan! Manufacturing mecca! I work for a manufacturing company in West Michigan, and I'll tell ya, it is BAD here just like Indiana. I work from a home office and can travel with my job luckily, but my wife who is in a health care field will actually be making about 20% MORE in SWFL. She submitted 4 resumes three weeks ago and had interviews with all four places. None have even cared that she will be going on maternity leave in November. My point is that there are a few bright spots, even in SWFL. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area