Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 05:00 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,845,262 times

Advertisements

You might get a laugh from this.

Profile Pictures | Facebook
Spotted at the Muscogee County Jail | Photos | Columbus Ledger Enquirer

The Joint is a magazine that show jail inmates in the greater columbus area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 09:50 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,695 times
Hey now, don't go and say this lil' town has all gone to crap cuz' of the recent crimes.

There was quite a bit wrong with this town before that.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:43 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Heck, I don't even remember what I was thinking three days ago.

BUT -- I really think there's away to end generations of welfare without being so freaking hateful. Unfortunately, it would probably require stricter checks and balances and create more gov't than about 50% of our population wants.
And i thought having a black man in the White House would make things better. Instead it's gotten worse.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:47 PM

95 posts, read 186,906 times
It's happening all over the country. Savannah isn't some podunk country town, it's semi-major city... stuff will happen.

It's a combination of weather and the economy... I live in Denver, CO, which is one of the safest major cities in the nation, and I've seen a huge uptick in violence the past few weeks.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:06 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
And i thought having a black man in the White House would make things better. Instead it's gotten worse.
In brief: he was too conciliatory in his first couple of years in office, the other half of the electorate blocked everything they could, even when they formerly agreed with certain concepts. And I don't think welfare reform and similar social programs were as pressing as a failing economy, two foreign wars, and health care reform. Not a perfect term, but the other side would just as soon the poor go off and die someplace out of sight.

AND -- It's not and shouldn't be a black man in the White House issue. He's a Dem, which means he's for the working class and other groups who make up the underclass. He's not gay but he finally acknowledged the right to marry. Not perfect, but how would that "interest group" fare if the other side had their way? Could it be prayed away?

Last edited by ellie; 09-11-2012 at 05:27 AM..

Old 09-11-2012, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It seems to me we've been throwing money at social programs since the Johnson years, and it does no good. The solution IMO is fathers in the home helping to raise their own children. Call me old fashioned.
That's a great idea! Wow.

How do you think you can make it happen?

Old 09-11-2012, 11:26 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
That's a great idea! Wow.

How do you think you can make it happen?
You know the answer. It's just not "Progressive".

Old 09-11-2012, 03:00 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
We could allow one child per unwed mother. Then we would have mandatory castration for the father and tubes tied for the mother.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You know the answer. It's just not "Progressive".
The horse is out of the barn, as they say. Time does not move in reverse.

Large parts of the libertarian and conservative platform stand the idea that less government and fewer regulations are the preferred state of our society. Just how do you propose to make fathers stay with women who bear their children?

And I know we're way off topic, so I'll just say it's all about social class, money, and control or access to resources -- essentially power.

Nearly every problem in our country and our city stems from some combination of those elements. It's hard to be eloquent when typing with one finger, but history has shown this in abundance.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:27 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I prefer to think the pendulum has swung too far, rather than that the situation is irreversible.
Back to the family values thing...if girls had strong father figures they wouldn't let the first unworthy male, who showed them any attention, get near them. It is pure cause and effect.
I refuse to throw up my hands and just give in to the baser things in society. I will fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area