Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 03:10 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times

Advertisements

What about the idea of forcing industrial traffic to take the Truman south to Abercorn to get out of town? Do y'all think that's feasible? For the truckers anyway, it can't be any worse than getting stuck in downtown like they do now. The only bottleneck will be King George, of course, but that's going to be fixed within 3 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 12:36 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,168,045 times
I-16/Jimmy Deloach Parkway interchange improvements
http://www.thempc.org/documents/Tran...une%202013.pdf

Old 10-21-2013, 09:45 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,168,045 times
City officials look to SPLOST for DeRenne improvements | savannahnow.com

Old 10-21-2013, 09:53 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
I-16/Jimmy Deloach Parkway interchange improvements
http://www.thempc.org/documents/Tran...une%202013.pdf
This looks like JD Pkwy will be a widened Bloomingdale Road and not an extra interchange. I always thought they'd construct a new interchange like they did for Pooler Parkway.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:05 PM

643 posts, read 846,142 times
A flyover over Derenne just looks weird because everything is more tight and narrow compared to Abercorn. At least an Abercorn flyover wouldn't be directly in front of many houses like one on DeRenne would be.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
A flyover over Derenne just looks weird because everything is more tight and narrow compared to Abercorn. At least an Abercorn flyover wouldn't be directly in front of many houses like one on DeRenne would be.
The flyover will only carry traffic off the end of 516 south into Hunter AAF, bypassing the congested interchange with White Bluff Road and taking out just a few houses. The rest of 516 will terminate into DeRenne as it does now. The plan to "double-deck" DeRenne all the way through town to the Medical District has been shelved.

Even so, there's an awful lot of organized opposition to this SPLOST. I don't give it much of a chance of passage.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
The flyover will only carry traffic off the end of 516 south into Hunter AAF, bypassing the congested interchange with White Bluff Road and taking out just a few houses. The rest of 516 will terminate into DeRenne as it does now. The plan to "double-deck" DeRenne all the way through town to the Medical District has been shelved.

Even so, there's an awful lot of organized opposition to this SPLOST. I don't give it much of a chance of passage.
The flyover idea with roundabout is a good one. I hope this happens in my lifetime.

Personally, I never heard of the double decker idea. Not over DeRenne anyway. Abercorn at points further south (where Truman comes out) and 21 in Garden City is a different story.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:41 PM

643 posts, read 846,142 times
Well the Abercorn one was thrown up as an idea a few months ago when many people were worried about the congestion that will be caused when the Truman to Abercorn finishes. It's certainly died down.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:13 PM

I'd still like to hear some opinions about my idea about eastside industrial traffic being forced to take the Truman South to Abercorn to get out of town, rather than go through the Historic District?

Right now, heavy trucks (many of them tankers carrying chemicals) must rumble down a VERY congested Bay Street (and stay in the left-hand/center lanes because of the tree overhangs), then make a left turn onto MLK to reach I-16, or Oglethorpe Avenue to get to the bridge.

Seems to me that the trucking companies themselves would prefer taking the Truman rather than going through crowded downtown. I think they've been forbidden to use DeRenne to reach 516 because of the hospitals.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I'd still like to hear some opinions about my idea about eastside industrial traffic being forced to take the Truman South to Abercorn to get out of town, rather than go through the Historic District?

Right now, heavy trucks (many of them tankers carrying chemicals) must rumble down a VERY congested Bay Street (and stay in the left-hand/center lanes because of the tree overhangs), then make a left turn onto MLK to reach I-16, or Oglethorpe Avenue to get to the bridge.

Seems to me that the trucking companies themselves would prefer taking the Truman rather than going through crowded downtown. I think they've been forbidden to use DeRenne to reach 516 because of the hospitals.
Your intentions are good, but it's really moving one problem from one end of town to the other (granted the Historic District is the real gem on this one). I think until A) A second bridge is built over the Savannah River extending the Truman on to Hutchinson Island and South Carolina connecting it with 17 and on to 95 or B) The double decker bypass over existing Abercorn is/are built, it's not a TRUE problem solver, just a problem mover. haha

It is a real problem though that has existed for decades and one that needs addressing. I hope something is done before some sort of industrial spill disaster occurs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area