Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 07:53 PM

29 posts, read 67,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Showboat? Wasn't that a strip club across the river?

I like Carey Hilliard's but only eat there occasionally; there's so many other fantastic restaurants in Savannah now. But it can't be beat for good old fashioned CHEAP fried seafood served up by big-haired waitresses in a totally Carol Brady decore! A Savannah classic (along with Johnny Harris and Crystal Beer Parlor, both of which still thrive. CBP especially is as good as ever.

Love's also continues to do quite well, though they've gone more upscale in recent years and I no longer go out that way ever. Too far, too expensive. I miss Pearl's Elegant Pelican! Remember how awesome that place was?! YUM!

You mentioned Pinkie Masters (still kicking), Double's (still open against all odds) and Captain's Lounge (which somebody told me has gone gay!). Everything else you listed is either closed or changed names, as far as I know.

As to the Skidaway stuff, are the "cliffs" you describe at Priests Landing? That remains a popular put-in spot for boaters and there's a private dry-dock marina (for Landings residents i think) there. That end of the island ramains largely undeveloped. I'm not evensure how much the Landings Co. owns or plans to develop in the future. Once the new bridge and Truman Parkway are complete, the demand for homes over there is gonna boom again.

ONE MORE THING: Did you guys hang out at any of the other boat ramps around town? Both Islands Expressway and Kings Ferry used to be notorious for late-night illicit activity of a certain persuasion IYKWIM. They completely rebuilt Kings Ferry a couple years ago and brought a stop to it, but drive past IX / President Street ramps at night and there's always cars lurking about. CREEPY!!

The Showboat was an X-Rated theater on Abercorn just south of Tibet Ave. The whole building was shaped like an old time river boat. They tore it down and put up a small car lot (if I recall correctly).

Glad to hear CBP is going strong. I used to love their shrimp salad sandwiches. let me tell you about shrimp salad (as we know it).... it does NOT exist anywhere else. people look at me like i'm strange when i try to even describe it.

For sure there's better seafood but I guess i just have a soft spot in my heart for ol' Carey Hilliards. I can't believe how much i miss something as simple as their fried flounder or them onion rings. I worked in the kitchen at the one on southside on Abercorn for about a year. Them ladies back there cooking were not messing around. they had it down cold and believe me... NOBODY got in their way. i was lucky they liked me enough to put up with me for a little while. they even would let me eat the personal meals they would prepare for themselves. One lady was called "Ms. Snow" and i've never had a better bowl of chicken & dumplings in my life.

There was a place over on Waters (i think) called Barnes and i remember them doing fried seafood really well.

I do remember Pearl's and worked there a couple different times. i worked at the one out towards Isle of Hope. i heard he (i think his name was Bob) opened another location... downtown, maybe?

I did a lot of hanging out at King's Ferry on weekend nights and yeah... i do know what you mean! it was pretty wild. we hung out with a small group of folks that lived at that place called "The Farms"... it was a trailer park if I remember right.

Captain's Lounge as a gay bar??? seriously, i can't even begin to imagine that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 10:06 PM

643 posts, read 845,534 times
New bridge is awesome, although I've heard rumors from some of the residents of the Landings that they might keep the drawbridge instead of tearing it down just for emergencies.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:21 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
New bridge is awesome, although I've heard rumors from some of the residents of the Landings that they might keep the drawbridge instead of tearing it down just for emergencies.
Uh ... no. What's the point of building a bridge high enough for yachts at full mast to pass underneath if you still have a drawbridge that has to be manned and maintained? What you may be confusing: the new bridge has engineering flaws that have forced a halt to construction (the spans don't meet). Maybe people WANT the old bride to stay, but that's not the plan.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:00 AM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,997 times
My mom still enjoys going to Carey Hilliard's, but maybe because the decor has not changed since the Ford adminstration.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:38 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Thanks to this thread, I ate at Carey Hilliard's today. The original on Skidaway. The outside looks the same but the inside has been updated.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:40 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,997 times
They changed the 25-watt light bulbs to 40 watt? lol

The barbecue is still great, and that sweet tea ought to be declared a national treasure, but the darkness makes me feel like going to sleep when I go there.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:45 PM

643 posts, read 845,534 times
Quote:
Uh ... no. What's the point of building a bridge high enough for yachts at full mast to pass underneath if you still have a drawbridge that has to be manned and maintained? What you may be confusing: the new bridge has engineering flaws that have forced a halt to construction (the spans don't meet). Maybe people WANT the old bride to stay, but that's not the plan.
They could just leave it sitting up and only use it for emergencies. At least that's how it was explained to me.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:24 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
They could just leave it sitting up and only use it for emergencies. At least that's how it was explained to me.
Well, let's just say that they did leave it up for emergencies. That means it would have to left in the open position for the big boats or the new bridge is a waste of money. If it was left up, there is a very good chance that they couldn't get it closed for auto traffic. (remember, it is old and parts are unavailable to fix it)

Old 12-11-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks to this thread, I ate at Carey Hilliard's today. The original on Skidaway. The outside looks the same but the inside has been updated.

Well, i gotta ask... what did you have and how was it?

Old 12-11-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Carey Hilliard's, especially the one out on Waters is still the best. Those Onion Rings were to die for!!

Was the Emerald Lounge that topless strip joint on Barnard or Montgomery? If so.. we had a woman that had danced there when she was younger and better shaped...working in our insurance dept. One day, she told me that if she had had legs like mine, she would have been a millionare.

Now, I ask you, was that a compliment or not???!!

yep Emerald Lounge was the strip club that was kinda over by the civic center.... oglethorpe and something. we tried sneaking in a few times as kids but never pulled it off. unlike that one that was on the southside.... white bluff close to where they built the vo-tec school. we made it into that a few times with no trouble at all. high class it was not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area