Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 02:34 PM

474 posts, read 588,398 times

Advertisements

Try this attached image of the plans.

MPC approves redevelopment plans for Vicory Drive-capture.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 09:23 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,976,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc100890 View Post
Try this attached image of the plans.

Attachment 121807
That's an interesting set up with the parking on both sides of the main building.

It's too bad development along this part of Victory is more suburban than urban considering you're a hop, skip and a jump away from downtown.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:31 PM

643 posts, read 846,318 times
I still say we have WAAAAY too many grocery stores in that small radius.

Bi-Lo, Kroger, Target, Whole Foods already service that 1 mile radius.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:21 PM

I agree. There are quite a few supermarkets, and to be honest, I was hoping something more interesting would happen with that site. I was especially bummed to figure out it will likely be a WalMart. I'm a Publix fan, and honestly WalMart is sort of miserable. However, I'll give WalMart credit where it is due, it's flat out a smart decision for them.

Think about it, the residents of Ardsley Park, Parkside, and Chatham Crescent currently shop where? Publix at Twelve Oaks or all those stores in and around the Victory/Skidaway intersection. Having the store before that intersection will capture the folks who are concerned with traffic and convenience, especially with the new turn signal at Victory Manor. The people on the other side of the intersection will probably suck it up and drive through the intersection to WalMart to "save money."

Old 12-05-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc100890 View Post
I agree. There are quite a few supermarkets, and to be honest, I was hoping something more interesting would happen with that site. I was especially bummed to figure out it will likely be a WalMart. I'm a Publix fan, and honestly WalMart is sort of miserable. However, I'll give WalMart credit where it is due, it's flat out a smart decision for them.

Think about it, the residents of Ardsley Park, Parkside, and Chatham Crescent currently shop where? Publix at Twelve Oaks or all those stores in and around the Victory/Skidaway intersection. Having the store before that intersection will capture the folks who are concerned with traffic and convenience, especially with the new turn signal at Victory Manor. The people on the other side of the intersection will probably suck it up and drive through the intersection to WalMart to "save money."
I'm just sick of the fact we have way too many Wal-Marts in our metropolitan area.

If we keep getting more Wal-Marts, it will turn some other possible chains away because they know Wal-Mart will lower their prices to drive out the competition.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
I'm just sick of the fact we have way too many Wal-Marts in our metropolitan area.

If we keep getting more Wal-Marts, it will turn some other possible chains away because they know Wal-Mart will lower their prices to drive out the competition.
Not necessarily true. Wal-Mart caters to mostly lower income families so it my deter stores that cater to the lower income citizen.

However, for those stores that cater to middle and upper income families, it probably won't have an effect.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Not necessarily true. Wal-Mart caters to mostly lower income families so it my deter stores that cater to the lower income citizen.

However, for those stores that cater to middle and upper income families, it probably won't have an effect.
Wal Mart on Wilmington Island?

Old 12-10-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
Wal Mart on Wilmington Island?
There is no Wal-Mart on Wilmington. Are you referring to the one on Whitemarsh?

Old 12-10-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
There is no Wal-Mart on Wilmington. Are you referring to the one on Whitemarsh?
To me, everything after the Thunderbolt bridge and before Tybee is Wilmington Island.

I know that's not the case, but that's just how those of us who never have to go on the islands refer to that area.

It's kind of similar to how a lot of people just say Pooler for anything on 95 towards South Carolina. Doesn't matter if it's Bloomingdale, Port Wentworth... people just call it Pooler. Some still say Port Wentworth, but a lot of people I talk to just say Pooler when speaking of that entire area in general.

Same for Coffee Bluff, Vernonburg, Windsor Forest, Paradise Park etc. Most people I talk to just refer to that as "White Bluff/Windsor Forest" or "Southside".

If I recall, the Tanger Outlets are actually in Bluffton, but tourists and even people in Savannah say "I'm going to the outlets in Hilton Head".

Last edited by TheDarkKnight; 12-10-2013 at 07:40 PM..

Old 12-10-2013, 11:52 PM

In 1983 Wal-Mart opened a store in McAlpin Square. By 1995, it moved to Whitemarsh Island to operate a larger store. According to an SMN article from 1995, the McAlpin Square store was too small. The new Whitemarsh store was 104,000 square feet and met Wal-Mart's capacity at the time. Nearly 19 years later, that store still exists because, again, land is scarce.

Point is, it was about land. There was, at the time, ample land out that way, and Victory was becoming run down and congested. I don't think it had much to do about income.

On another note, does anyone happen to know what discount store Wal-Mart acquired when it entered Savannah in the early 80s? I believe, whatever store is was, operated the Largo Plaza and and Chatham Plaza stores before Wal-Mart took them over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area