Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2016, 05:30 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times

Advertisements

I find this much more interesting and credible, than anything that slippery futuristic ***Ray Kurzweil*** has to say.

Tardigrades can live 30 years in a freezer and survive in space, and now we know why!

And since this IS the science forum let's just toss in the published paper for grins.

Evidence for extensive horizontal gene transfer from the draft genome of a tardigrade
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 12:19 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
More good news on my quest to have reverse aging by 2023.

First Successful Gene Therapy Against Human Aging? It May Be So

IN BRIEF

Should these results prove to be accurate, it means that scientists have actually managed to create a way to reverse aging.

The link: First Successful Gene Therapy Against Human Aging? It May Be So

Old 10-07-2016, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
More good news on my quest to have reverse aging by 2023.

IN BRIEF

Should these results prove to be accurate, it means that scientists have actually managed to create a way to reverse aging.

The link: First Successful Gene Therapy Against Human Aging? It May Be So
It pays to check if a story is legitimate.

Authorities Deny Anti-aging Clinic from being set up

Old 10-07-2016, 09:32 AM

3,992 posts, read 6,795,905 times
be careful what you wish for...

Old 10-07-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
It pays to check if a story is legitimate.

Authorities Deny Anti-aging Clinic from being set up
That is a separate story. The article I posted never claimed that any clinic is being set up. In fact it says this:

To that end, even Parrish is clear that more investigation is necessary in order to verify the methods; however, if verified, this work will be revolutionary.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
be careful what you wish for...
I understand this is a life changing event. In fact my life has already changed so much in just 2 years I actually consider myself in life 2.0 (along with society in general). Now that I am here I have realized that just keeping up with the advancements in technology is not going to be enough but I have to psychologically be ready for it. I am doing that by trying to understand Maslow's top hierarchy of needs "self-transcendence". I think that will help me make the rather quick advancement to transhuman in the next 14 years. I have a book on the topic that I have started to read and so far it is good but I admit a little above me so I am taking this very slow so I can fully understand it.

This is a paper on it in case you are interested:

Rediscovering the Later Version of Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs: Self-Transcendence and Opportunities for Theory, Research, and Unification

The link: http://pages.stolaf.edu/psych-391-sp...tko-RIvera.pdf

To be honest I dont think even I fully grasp what all this rapid technological changes will mean to me and society in the next 14 years and the impact of living "forever" will have on us. Why I am doing all I can to understand it as it will happen.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
That is a separate story. The article I posted never claimed that any clinic is being set up. In fact it says this:

To that end, even Parrish is clear that more investigation is necessary in order to verify the methods; however, if verified, this work will be revolutionary.
No it's not a separate story.

'Fountain of youth' clinic proposed for Fiji called into question by Australian expert.

The pseudoscience of anti-ageing

Quote:
Ms Parrish — Dr Andrews' partner in the joint venture — claimed last year to be the first person in the world to have become younger using gene therapy.

Professor Rasko, who heads the Gene and Stem Cell Therapy Program at the Centenary Institute of Cancer Medicine and Cell Biology, said he believed the claims were "extremely far-fetched".

He said Ms Parrish had traveled to an unnamed clinic in Colombia, where she was injected with an unnamed substance that was not independently tested or verified.

"And based on testing that she claims she has done, without revealing any of the details or subjecting it to proper peer review or scientific assessment, she claims that her white blood cells have shown evidence of reducing ageing by some couple of decades," he said.
"[It was] based on testing that, apparently, is six months after the original treatment."

Professor Rasko said it was outrageous the BioViva-Sierra Sciences joint venture would offer treatment to the public in Fiji at such an early stage of research.

"There is legitimate research going on in anti-ageing and the prolongation of life … and credible studies that explore how to improve the health of people as they age," he said.

"But this particular group has done it all the wrong way."

In the video released last month, Ms Parrish said: "The current regulatory authorities have an outdated model that does not accommodate these new technologies."

The ABC has made repeated attempts to contact BioViva USA for comment and has received no reply.
The only reason they are building over there is to avoid the US regulations of conducting clinical trials the right way.

Here a discussion by Dr. Bill Andrews from Sierra Sciences, about this very topic and even says that his company and her company are building BioViva Fiji . I think it would serve you to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mmg...ature=youtu.be

Old 10-07-2016, 04:13 PM

^

I read the article again and do not see where it talks about clinics. Perhaps you can show me? However if they do develop clinics and they are proven to be successful I would have no problem fling to Europe to use them for reverse aging. I will keep watching.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:08 AM

This was on my Facebook feed overnight and looks interesting. Plus they include dogs and honestly my pup is 2 so I would like to use reverse aging on her as well. I will have to follow this to see what happens.

First phase 1 human aging reversal trials (GDF, Myostatin) in a year or two and George Church discusses how to affordably rejuvenate the whole body

The new goal is to reverse aging, not only in animals, but in humans. And age reversal is essential, as significant age-related disruption has already occurred in most people due to changes in our gene expression profiles.

The link: Next Big Future: First phase 1 human aging reversal trials (GDF, Myostatin) in a year or two and George Church discusses how to affordably rejuvenate the whole body

Last edited by Josseppie; 10-08-2016 at 10:36 AM..

Old 10-08-2016, 11:30 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,197,456 times
Quote:
Well maybe not forever but I intend to live a very long time, thousands of years or more.

I decided to start this thread here because it has to do with science and the progress of information technology. There is a book called "The Singularity is Near" and a documentary called "Transcendent Man" by Ray Kurzweil. This is the teaser from youtube:

In it he discusses the law of accelerating returns and More's Law that say information technology grows at a exponential rate. When I was a kid in the 1970's computers took up a whole room. Now my cell phone has more computing ability then that computer did and in 20 years computers will be the size of a blood cell. That will allow us to have super strong immune systems and help us be even smarter as our biology will blend with nano technology. They have already found the aging gene and fat gene and are working on being able to stop and even reverse them. Then by 2029 computers will be as intelligent as humans and by 2045 a single computer will be as intelligent as all of the humans on earth combined. We will, also, have virtual reality that will be as real as "the real world". Picture the hollow deck on Star Trek but a 1,000 times better in my life time. I can't wait. This is the best time to be alive!
Report to Harry Mudd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology