Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2014, 11:46 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,470,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Well, I would make the argument that if your "memory" doesn't actually need power input to retain its information over long periods of time such as one year, then in some sense, it isn't memory at all but rather a disk.
Welcome to transhuman as we begin to transcend our biology. From what I read this will start to be common place by the mid 2020's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 02:33 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Welcome to transhuman as we begin to transcend our biology. From what I read this will start to be common place by the mid 2020's.
I don't mean "memory memory", I was referring to computer memory!

Also, just because you read something doesn't make it true. "Transcend" our biology is tricky to define, consider even something simpler like "life extension". The notion of "life extension" pre-supposes some notion of what a non-extended lifespan is, but what would one mean by that? Lifespan in the absence of any medical intervention at all? Or lifespan in the absence of disease but also the absence of aging or injury?

Of course the latter is a very tricky subject because technically speaking, no one dies of old age, it's just that the risk of a certain group of diseases that tend to kill you rises very fast with age

Old 10-03-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I don't mean "memory memory", I was referring to computer memory!
In the future it will be all the same!

Quote:
Also, just because you read something doesn't make it true. "Transcend" our biology is tricky to define, consider even something simpler like "life extension". The notion of "life extension" pre-supposes some notion of what a non-extended lifespan is, but what would one mean by that? Lifespan in the absence of any medical intervention at all? Or lifespan in the absence of disease but also the absence of aging or injury?
The definaion:

Transhumanism (abbreviated as H+ or h+) is an international cultural and intellectual movement with an eventual goal of fundamentally transforming the human condition by developing and making widely available technologies to greatly enhance human intellectual, physical, and psychological capacities.[1] Transhumanist thinkers study the potential benefits and dangers of emerging technologies that could overcome fundamental human limitations, as well as the ethics of developing and using such technologies.[2] They speculate that human beings may eventually be able to transform themselves into beings with such greatly expanded abilities as to merit the label "posthuman".[1]

The link: Transhumanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Of course the latter is a very tricky subject because technically speaking, no one dies of old age, it's just that the risk of a certain group of diseases that tend to kill you rises very fast with age
My goal is to live "forever" does that explain life extension for you!

Old 10-04-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
In the future it will be all the same!

The definaion:

Transhumanism (abbreviated as H+ or h+) is an international cultural and intellectual movement with an eventual goal of fundamentally transforming the human condition by developing and making widely available technologies to greatly enhance human intellectual, physical, and psychological capacities.[1] Transhumanist thinkers study the potential benefits and dangers of emerging technologies that could overcome fundamental human limitations, as well as the ethics of developing and using such technologies.[2] They speculate that human beings may eventually be able to transform themselves into beings with such greatly expanded abilities as to merit the label "posthuman".[1]

The link: Transhumanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My goal is to live "forever" does that explain life extension for you!
Even if your goals are more ambitious than suggested by "intermediate-tech" or "pre-singularity" terminology, you still have to define those terms if you want to invoke them in your discussion or argument.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Even if your goals are more ambitious than suggested by "intermediate-tech" or "pre-singularity" terminology, you still have to define those terms if you want to invoke them in your discussion or argument.
My main goal is simple. To take full advantage of the coming exponintial advances in genetics, biology, nanotechnology and computers.

Last edited by Josseppie; 10-04-2014 at 10:54 AM..

Old 10-04-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
My main goal is simple. To take full advantage of the coming exponintial advances in genetics, biology, nanotechnology and computers.
You are free to do that, but if you are trying to make a convincing case to present to others, your argument would be stronger if you keep things clear and unambiguous, as with any argument.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
You are free to do that, but if you are trying to make a convincing case to present to others, your argument would be stronger if you keep things clear and unambiguous, as with any argument.
Fair enough. This is a complicated topic and I am always trying to find better ways to explain what is coming.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:36 PM

This is a quote from Captain Jean-Luc Picard in Star Trek The Next Generation and gives a great idea of what life will be like after the technological singularity.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:30 PM

We have been talking about driverless cars so when I saw this on CNN I wanted to post it.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:01 PM

Exclamation Batteries Included: A Solar Cell that Stores its Own Power

I post a lot about solar and how it will be nearly free helping create zero marginal cost and helping the environment. So when I saw this I had to post it.

COLUMBUS, Ohio—Is it a solar cell? Or a rechargeable battery?

Actually, the patent-pending device invented at The Ohio State University is both: the world’s first solar battery.

In the October 3, 2014 issue of the journal Nature Communications, the researchers report that they’ve succeeded in combining a battery and a solar cell into one hybrid device.

Key to the innovation is a mesh solar panel, which allows air to enter the battery, and a special process for transferring electrons between the solar panel and the battery electrode. Inside the device, light and oxygen enable different parts of the chemical reactions that charge the battery.

The link: Batteries Included: A Solar Cell that Stores its Own Power | News Room - The Ohio State University
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology