Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2014, 11:35 AM

141 posts, read 128,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Turn telomerase off?

Won't that create a condition similar to Hutchinson-Gilford Progeria Syndrome?
I'm no doctor but I don't understand why it would?

You can live without telomerase for easily 10 years before trouble starts (telomeres gets too short. There is a medical genetic condition that creates just this but I don't remember the name) which would give a terminal cancer patient a lot of years firstly and secondly a hope for a cure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 12:13 PM

141 posts, read 128,470 times
Quote:
Right, you cherry pick the predictions Kurzweil got right and ignore the fact that he also predicted CPU speed would increase exponentially when it has been flat and proved him wrong.
Ooh, I see!

I was about to class you as a troll but you have the idea that you have proven "the great Ray Kurzweil" wrong! That is why you hammer that CPU-speed fact!

Congratz, but hey, why don't you tell him? It is not like he isn't answering mails on his website and he's answer will, I guess, be most enlightening.

Personally I couldn't care less though as overall computing power is on a runaway increase and I think that is enough but cheers to you for finding it.

I must also say that even if some of his predictions are slightly off, mostly in time and say a year or three (sometimes before, sometimes after) which seems normal, for me he isn't the person predicting X at year Y but a person that predicts a whole new future because not of A but of A,B,C,D....M

Old 09-24-2014, 01:14 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,470,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmond View Post
Ooh, I see!

I was about to class you as a troll but you have the idea that you have proven "the great Ray Kurzweil" wrong! That is why you hammer that CPU-speed fact!

Congratz, but hey, why don't you tell him? It is not like he isn't answering mails on his website and he's answer will, I guess, be most enlightening.

Personally I couldn't care less though as overall computing power is on a runaway increase and I think that is enough but cheers to you for finding it.

I must also say that even if some of his predictions are slightly off, mostly in time and say a year or three (sometimes before, sometimes after) which seems normal, for me he isn't the person predicting X at year Y but a person that predicts a whole new future because not of A but of A,B,C,D....M
Ray Kurzweil has proven that software is not stuck in the mud. The thing is this is a hard topic to fully understand and honestly most people I talk to about this just do not get it. Why I never get mad or frustrated but just keep explaining how, why and the impact of information technology advancing exponentially.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:03 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,598,983 times
Quote:
Ooh, I see!

I have simply pointed out a prediction that he made, which has not come to pass. I am neither a saint nor just trolling. The point needs to be made when data is used selectively, that's all.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Ray Kurzweil has proven that software is not stuck in the mud. The thing is this is a hard topic to fully understand and honestly most people I talk to about this just do not get it. Why I never get mad or frustrated but just keep explaining how, why and the impact of information technology advancing exponentially.
Some software is stuck and other software isn't.

And "technology continues to advance exponentially" is still a non-meaningful claim without further specificity, as I explained in post #1615.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I'm no doctor but I don't understand why it would?

You can live without telomerase for easily 10 years before trouble starts (telomeres gets too short. There is a medical genetic condition that creates just this but I don't remember the name) which would give a terminal cancer patient a lot of years firstly and secondly a hope for a cure.
Fair enough. I thought you were trying to argue it as a way of reversing senescence in normal patients.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Well, the article clearly states that already (calculations made in an existing city and it will obviously be different for the countryside).

But even if it only "saves" one car out of ten and only for cities and people start to abandon urban areas it still is a win.
Well, isn't it overkill to do all that if all you want is a reduction in vehicle use which could be accomplished much more easily by simply raising the price of gas?

Old 09-24-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Have you seen this from 60 minutes?

Ok, I finally watched it.

Yes, a lot of low-skill jobs are being lost to robots these days. However, at the same time, human workers are still employed in a wide range of tasks that seem like robots should easily be able to handle (e.g. truck loading and unloading).

I would want to know what determines when robots will be employed? If you look at loading and unloading jobs currently done by robots, and compare those to loading and unloading jobs currently done by humans, how do they differ?

Old 09-24-2014, 05:11 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,470,623 times
Quote:
Some software is stuck and other software isn't.

And "technology continues to advance exponentially" is still a non-meaningful claim without further specificity, as I explained in post #1615.
Ray Kurzweil has proven that software is not stuck in the mud.

This thread was started in 2012. Back then we did not have wearable tech, now we do. In the next 5 years it will change society in ways few people saw coming. I was one of the few who saw it coming. All because information technology advances exponentially.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Ray Kurzweil has proven that software is not stuck in the mud.

This thread was started in 2012. Back then we did not have wearable tech, now we do. In the next 5 years it will change society in ways few people saw coming. I was one of the few who saw it coming. All because information technology advances exponentially.
The same thing you've been saying for over 10 pages of posts.

And still just as flawed, for the same reasons.

Seriously, if you're going to repeat that over and over without engaging any counterpoints or acknowledging the problems with your argument, why are we wasting our time?

A robot can repeat it for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology