Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:45 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
LOL....I know The Nimitz Class Carriers have a large "following"; The Gerald Ford Class will be their replacement.
Here's a thread I composed on The Gerald R. Ford Class(Series) of Aircraft Carriers....with Electromagnetic Launching Systems replacing the "old" Steam Cataputs>>>>>

//www.city-data.com/forum/scien...-aircraft.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
My alltime fave will always be the USS Nimitz CVN-68 although commissioned during the 70's however i'll always think of it as the ''1980's Super Carrier''' as it started the 1980's war movieis with the movie ''The Final Countdown'' (1980) starring Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen where the Nimitz was transported back in time by a freak electrical storm while out at sea back to december 7, 1941 as the CO (ships captain) eventually had to make a decision as to either intercept and destroy the invading Japanese fleet or just sit by and allow it to bomb Pearl Harbor and just watch it happen as to not interfere and possible change history. I also remember during the 80's when it's two F-14's shot down two Libyan Su-22's known as The Gulf of Sidra Incident and i remember purchasing at the Base Exchange back at our homeport (Jacksonville, Fl) t-shirts that stated USS Nimitz 2 Libya 0 . On a sadder note i still remember watching on the television news about the Prowler plane crash on it's flight deck during ''Night Ops'' that killed 14 sailors.

One of my fave movies scenes (The Final Countdown) where the USS Nimitz launches it's entire airpower of F-14 Tomcats, A-6 Intruders and A-7 Corsairs to hover the invading Japanese fleet.

Green Lights Launch Aircraft - YouTube
I think the Nimitz Class Carriers will be mentioned the most in this thread; however I'm hoping some History Buffs can educate us about the old Sailing Warships.

And THANKYOU for serving our country!!!

Nimitz-class aircraft carrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-27-2012, 03:07 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Thankyou for serving our country!
You are welcome

Quote:
... That's a long/distinguised record onboard Submarines.

A picture of each of your favorite classes>>>>>

Benjamin Franklin class submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 640 boat I was on was the USS George C. Marshall SSBN 654 (b)

We refitted in Rota Spain and Holy Loch Scotland.

I do not recognize the background of that photo.

The 629 boat I served on was the USS Casimir Pulaski SSBN 633(g) which refitted in Charleston SC.

Though the photo I do recognize. That is Holy Loch. I also served on the USS Simon Lake AS-33 when she was in Holy Loch. I owned a house there. From where the photo was taken, our house was maybe 200 yards 90degrees to the photographer's right. Second house from the pier.

Quote:
... I too love the Ohio Class>>>>>

Nuclear Powered Ballistic Missile Submarines; IF I remember correctly a few were converted to carry Tomahawk Missiles??????

Ohio-class submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Subase Bangor pulling into the Delta pier dry-dock, been there too.

I was on the USS Alaska SSBN 732 (b)

Old 08-28-2012, 08:45 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:
I think the Nimitz Class Carriers will be mentioned the most in this thread; however I'm hoping some History Buffs can educate us about the old Sailing Warships.

And THANKYOU for serving our country!!!
[/url]
No need to thank me as it is i who thanks the U.S. government back then i.e. President Reagan, Sec of Defense Caspar Weinberger, Sec of Navy John Lehman as their ''600 Ship Armada'' that they instituted to challenge the Soviet Union hired tens of thousands of civilian shipyard workers to build and repair them as well as tens of thousands of unemployed high school grads back then to man all the new ships

Another naval boat that i really liked was the Pegasus Class Hydrofoils that were in service from 1977-1993 as they could really haul butt skimming the surface of the water ranging a top speed of 48 knots (55 mph) as i can imagine being a Helmsman steering it was a blast .

Old 08-28-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This is fiction of course but I used to read Tom Clancy when he came on the scene, probably one of my favorite passages from him is in Red Storm Rising where the Soviet commander who is occupying a port in Iceland (I think) sees the Iowa approaching. I forget the exact passage but to paraphrase he says something to the effect of "Dear Mother of God"........ LOL
They were awesome Warships>>>>>

Old 08-28-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
No need to thank me as it is i who thanks the U.S. government back then i.e. President Reagan, Sec of Defense Caspar Weinberger, Sec of Navy John Lehman as their ''600 Ship Armada'' that they instituted to challenge the Soviet Union hired tens of thousands of civilian shipyard workers to build and repair them as well as tens of thousands of unemployed high school grads back then to man all the new ships

Another naval boat that i really liked was the Pegasus Class Hydrofoils that were in service from 1977-1993 as they could really haul butt skimming the surface of the water ranging a top speed of 48 knots (55 mph) as i can imagine being a Helmsman steering it was a blast .

I had forgotten about the Hydrofoils...very cool and fast too!

Another Warship I'm keen on are the Zumwalt class(formerly DDX) Destroyers; 600 feet long and nearly 15,000 Tons, fairly large for a Destroyer but designed to help replace Battleships in defending our Aircraft Carriers and the Fleet....with approximately 80 Missile Launchers per ship.

Very "futuristic" design with impressive stealth capabilities.

Zumwalt class destroyer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scaled down test version out of water>>>>>

Scaled down demonstrator>>>>

DDG 1000 Zumwalt Class - Multimission Destroyer - Naval Technology

Multimission DD(X) Destroyer Successfully Completes Flag-Level Critical Design Review

DDX Destroyer Navy - Northrop Grumman - DD(X)

DDG 1000 Zumwalt class Destroyer - YouTube

USS Zumwalt, March 2012 - YouTube

DDG-1000 Zumwalt Class Destroyer.flv - YouTube

US NAVAL FUTURE WEAPON- DDX - YouTube

US Navy DDG 1000 Zumwalt Class Destroyer - YouTube

Old 08-29-2012, 08:45 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
I've got a special obsession with WWII Gato and Balao Class submarines... They are my favorite warships of all time.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:47 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
The Bismarck. Killed HMS Hood, and created quite an impression on the British.

Urânia - José Galisi Filho: Blues Brothers - Sink The Bismarck

Bismarck

Old 08-31-2012, 10:17 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times

Bismarck - YouTube

This may be the best short video on youtube! I can't help but get emotional when I see video of the Bismarck wreck... such a disturbing combination of beauty, peace, madness and horror...

Old 08-31-2012, 04:31 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
HMS Victory

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology